Fret Scale Templates

Bob
@bob
7 months ago
128 posts

I remember there was a full-scale 26" or so down-loadable dulcimer fretboard template (I wish I had saved it!)...

updated by @bob: 03/09/17 02:01:43PM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
last year
1,522 posts

That's fine if you want to build the same old thing over and over.  Lots of folks like to experiment, or to get that short-scale dulcimer they want without paying retail or second hand prices...

john warren
@john-warren
last year
22 posts

i just copy my existing fretboard. no sense fixin what ain't broke

Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
2 years ago
23 posts

Thanks guys!  Now I'm really confused! LOL

john p
@john-p
2 years ago
212 posts

This is the Mean Tone one.

zip
Fret List MT.zip  •  452KB

john p
@john-p
2 years ago
212 posts

There has been a heap of calculators and spreadsheets posted or discussed on the site in the past, but they don't seem to show up in a search on the new site.

Here's one such, but it's lost it's attachments in the move.

http://fotmd.com/doug-berch/group_discuss/1277/workshop-fret-calculator

This is the Equal Temp one.

zip
Fret List v1.2.zip  •  452KB

updated by @john-p: 09/08/15 06:18:06AM
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
2 years ago
350 posts

Caleb Dan Bennett:
I have looked at those templates but they are chromatic and not the scale lengths I want.  Also have used the calculators from both bear meadow and stewmac.  I noticed that they give different results for same VSL.  Not sure why that is. I use the bear meadows because it gives the 6+ fret. Stewmac doesnt.    

Hi, the free on-line fret calculator from Stumac does have the 6+ fret - except they call it number 7 shrugger  So all the fret numbers they use after that are one higher until the 13+ which they call 14 and so on.  It is accurate for equal temperament and it also includes the suggested additional length you should add to the VSL for intonation.  Don't forget this whatever calculator you use or your higher frets will play sharp.  For example: If you are using a 28" fret scale then the bridge should be actually placed at 28.165".  If you like a high action then the bridge should be moved even further from the nut.  Some folks will use a reasonably wide bridge set into the bridge slot that can then be shaped to get the string release points accurate for intonation.  Or you can do it the old way and use a floating bridge (I have quite a few dulcimers with floating bridges).

Jeff
@jeff
2 years ago
0 posts

@Ken-hulme. I think that is the same program on the CD... Only thing is the CD gets into more set up.  For for the ignoramus... AKA -----> ME! krazy 

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,522 posts

I still use the old Wfret program.  Not the new one which does not have special setting for dulcimers.  I can plug in any desired VSL and fret patter (no plus frets or 6+ & 13+) and method of spacing calculation, and get a printed out "ruler" which works just fine.   The program was posted on the old FOTMD, in the Building Group, IIRC, and the posting should still be there.  Do a Search here of Wfret.

Jeff
@jeff
2 years ago
0 posts

@caleb-dan-Bennett I have the Cigarboxnation fret calculator on CD... I picked it up from them a year or so back.... Its nice...

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
251 posts

Caleb, SM fret rulers are chromatic. Just use the diatonic positions. I took their ruler and blacked out the chromatic positions. Robert. 

Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
2 years ago
23 posts

I have looked at those templates but they are chromatic and not the scale lengths I want.  Also have used the calculators from both bear meadow and stewmac.  I noticed that they give different results for same VSL.  Not sure why that is. I use the bear meadows because it gives the 6+ fret. Stewmac doesnt.

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
251 posts

You can purchase them from Stewart MacDonald. They also have a calculator online that I've used many times to etch my own... Robert.

Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
2 years ago
23 posts

I'm trying to find a source for fret scale templates for mountain dulcimer.  Anyone know where to find them?