Latest JI Calculator?

john p
@john-p
last year
212 posts

Dwain Wilder: Does anyone have a MT spreadsheet or calculator?

Link in previous post.

Dwain Wilder
@dwain-wilder
last year
20 posts

Thanks, Bob. I'll have to scratch my head about all this, but your remarks definitely help!

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
last year
102 posts

Dwain, I think the simplest way to relate the solfege to the Ref C and Ref D columns is like this: DO=C or DO=D depending on how you are tuned.  So if you are are tuned Daa (traditional tuning) then DO = D, Re = E, Mi = F#, etc.  The scale starts on the third fret of the dulcimer. "Ref D" is really just reference to the D scale and "Ref C" is the same for the C Scale if you are tuned to C.  You could tune the dulcimer to Cgg and then refer to the Ref C column, in which case DO = C, Re=D, Mi=E and so on.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Dwain Wilder
@dwain-wilder
last year
20 posts

Thanks, Bob, yes, I'm familiar with Solfege, but couldn't suss out how the particular notes referred to anything "C" or "D." I'm not much on music theory, and not a dulcimer play to speak of, so maybe understanding your explanation would help. So the "Ref D" refers to a string tuned to D? Guess I might seem to be asking for a whole course in musical notation, and tuning.

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
last year
102 posts

Dwain, here is the new link to the original article.  The link in the spreadsheet was to the former incarnation of this site.  

http://fotmd.com/doug-berch/group_discuss/1509/fret-calculations-for-just-intonation-and-its-effect-on-modes

The REF C and REF D columns are references to the C major and D major scales, for those who play other instruments or read music.  The Solfege reference is for those who are familiar with referring to the notes of the scale as Do. Re. Mi. etc.  "Solfege" is just the name of the formal method of using those syllables for sight reading.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

Dwain Wilder
@dwain-wilder
last year
20 posts

Thanks, Bob! I'm still studying the Solfege and trying to understand that. So the open string in JI is not variable, I gather. But haven't been able to find the "+ sign above column J", so sort of struggling with the meaning of Ref C vs. Ref D. I'm a newbie at this, as I haven't revisited the realm of alternate intonations for awhile. Maybe I should look at the FOTMD discussion referenced in your calculator before going much further...

From time to time I've considered Mean Temperament. It is supposed to sound very sweet, and it would be a hoot to create some "Mean Tempered Bears." Does anyone have a MT spreadsheet or calculator?

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
2 years ago
350 posts

Hi John I'll send you a PM

john p
@john-p
2 years ago
212 posts

Hi Robin,

Any more details on the Heritage dulcimers, had a quick look on Birdrock but couldn't see anything yet.

I'm in the market for a new dulcimer, it really is time I took the poor old mongrel I've used all these years off the road :)

Dan
@dan
2 years ago
78 posts

Robin Clark:
 Essentially, every fret pattern is going to lead to compromise somewhere - so it is a matter of finding what you like and learning how to use it.

You are correct sir! :)

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
2 years ago
350 posts

I've had a couple of McSpadden's built using the JI calculator and a couple in quarter comma  meantone.  Meantone is based around getting the 3rds perfect but the 4ths and 5ths are shifted slightly, as they are in equal temperament.  One of the aspects I like about JI is that the open strings in DAA (or other 1-5-5 tuning) can be set to a perfect 5th and the octave at the 3rd is also a perfect 5th.  This both makes tuning easy and the sound really lush - I find I don't have to compromise at all and 'tweek' the tuning to get things sounding OK like I do with ET or meantone.  The advantage of meantone over JI is that most tunings work OK and it is better than ET in that it does have that nice 3rd. 

Of course, old dulcimer makers to set the frets where they wanted and I really like the pattern Leonard Glen used, which is basically JI )or close to) but with the first fret moved nearer to ET.  It does mean that the 1st fret and the 8th fret are slightly different (not an octave) but because it is impossible to play those two notes together that doesn't matter.  I've had my batch of Heritage dulcimers from the Hagen family made with this fret pattern as it is just a little more adaptable than JI.  However, for a lot my personal playing I love JI and make use of that flattened 6th 2nd fret.

Essentially, every fret pattern is going to lead to compromise somewhere - so it is a matter of finding what you like and learning how to use it.

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
2 years ago
102 posts

Ken, you may want to download the calculator again.  The version I posted earlier was 2.5 not 3, which is the latest.  2.5 will still work fine for you.  Version three is a cleaner looking xls file.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
2 years ago
102 posts

Kevin, this should be the same as the one you downloaded a while back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhq1oebanowzxi1/JIcalculatorwithratios%20v3.xlsx?dl=0

--
Bob
Site Moderator

john p
@john-p
2 years ago
212 posts

Hi guys,

This is the link to the original Mean Tone calculator posting

http://fotmd.com/doug-berch/group_discuss/1277/workshop-fret-calculator

Please see the latest post for the downloads.

updated by @john-p: 01/04/16 07:18:21AM
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
2 years ago
123 posts

Robert, John P made a great mean tone calculator. Message him I'm sure he will share it with you.  Kevin..

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
251 posts

I made a 27 and 30" scale ruler from the calculation. Built some great sounding instruments. Anybody have a calculation for quarter comma mean. ?... Robert...

Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
2 years ago
123 posts

Rob, is this a updated version of the original I have already downloaded a few months back?

john p
@john-p
2 years ago
212 posts

Hi Robin,

You can sometimes get around this by zipping the file.
Depends if the forum will allow, many don't like .zip files either though.

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
2 years ago
350 posts

Ahh - I can't upload the version I have because it is in excel format and the forum won't allow excel files as an attachment.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the file to you.

Robin

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,530 posts

Got it!   Thanx Bob.

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
2 years ago
102 posts

Ken, here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhq1oebanowzxi1/JIcalculatorwithratios%20v3.xlsx?dl=0

--
Bob
Site Moderator

updated by @bob-reinsel: 12/07/15 06:31:57AM
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
251 posts

I'll tell you what... It works!... Robert

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
2 years ago
350 posts

I have the latest version ken. I'm away from my pc until tomorrow so I'll post it here when I get home.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,530 posts

(repost because I got silly and hit the wrong button.  Got your response Dan, that may be the current one)

Some time back we had a discussion about Just Intonation and someone made a JI calculator for fret spacing.  I got a copy at first, but I believe there was at least one revision.  Can someone post the latest and greatest please?  I'm about to start my first dulcimer in years (probably last too).  Wormy Chestnut in the long slender Walking Stick style...

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/07/15 05:51:15AM