Staining wood?

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 months ago
1,530 posts

I'm also a fan of Minwax products.  I never use a conditioner on hardwoods either.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 months ago
527 posts

You can use a pre-conditioner which is usually some diluted shellac, but test it on a scrap of the maple first. Generally hardwoods do not really need a pre-conditioner. You can use a Minwax golden oak stain if you would like. Again, test it first to see how it looks. I used a golden oak stain on a maple banjo rim. It came out very well. I did not use a conditioner.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Bob
@bob
11 months ago
129 posts

John C. Knopf:

Bob, in the past I've used orange shellac to give a warm color to light wood, or a Minwax maple stain. Both look nice.

Thanks John. Minwax is a good product. D0 you use a pre-conditioner so the stain penetrates evenly?

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
11 months ago
161 posts

Bob, in the past I've used orange shellac to give a warm color to light wood, or a Minwax maple stain. Both look nice.

Bob
@bob
11 months ago
129 posts

Hi friends! I am at the point in my new project to think about how I want to finish this dulcimer; The top is maple, with the rest cherry.

I think I would like the maple top a more golden color (i.e., golden oak) and leave the cherry natural.

What type of wood stain is best/recommended for the soundboard?

Thanks!

updated by @bob: 11/25/16 05:35:48PM