3 weeks ago
11 posts

That's beautiful!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,830 posts

A pre-made fretboard is a good way to get started.  Here's a new body of Butternut that I made for a student's cardboard dulcimer.

Body for CB Dulcimer.JPG

Davesterino
Davesterino
@davesterino
3 weeks ago
11 posts

Thanks all! Ken - I am cheating a little and going with a pre-cut and fretted fingerboard, from a Backyard Music, Simplicity cardboard dulcimer kit, so I'm just making the box this time around. Next time I think I will try doing the fretboard myself.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,830 posts

Good start Dave;  My first couple of builds I didn't have that many useful clamps.  Nothing wrong with a box design dulcimer.  The maximize the cubic inches of interior volume -- a major factor in the overall sound.  Are you going to go with a TMB style fretboard/tuning head?  Or a "conventional" scroll or flat tuning head and fretboard?  

Best wishes on your build.

Lorraine
Lorraine
@lorraine
3 weeks ago
16 posts

Nice..it is so fun isnt it...clamps are pricey..so no apologies needed.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 weeks ago
1,014 posts

How cool, Dave!  Enjoy the process! 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Davesterino
Davesterino
@davesterino
3 weeks ago
11 posts

Susie: Cool, looking forward to watching the progress.

Thanks Susie!

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 weeks ago
291 posts
Cool, looking forward to watching the progress.
Davesterino
Davesterino
@davesterino
3 weeks ago
11 posts

I spent some time on Thanksgiving day working on my first dulcimer build! It's awfully rectangular grin, and I am embarrassed over my lack of clamps (a pre-paperclip & rubber band stage is shown in the photo). I'm having fun with it, but can't do much today due to rain (my workshop is the backyard). I'll post an update when it gets further along.

Dave

IMG_6018.JPG
IMG_6018.JPG  •  71KB