Removing a Melody String - Which One?

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
5 months ago
334 posts

Good point, Jim. Do whichever is comfortable to you, the player of the dulcimer. 

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
5 months ago
56 posts

I agree with JenniferC and Sheryl St. Claire.  I remove the outer string, but for the same reason.  Remove the one that makes the remaining strings the closest to equidistant especially if you play chordal style.  It depends on the dulcimer.

updated by @jim-yates: 02/10/17 12:16:04PM
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
5 months ago
334 posts

JenniferC: I remove the inner string, as it seems to leave the remaining strings more equidistant.

Exactly!

JenniferC
@jenniferc
5 months ago
26 posts
I remove the inner string, as it seems to leave the remaining strings more equidistant.
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
5 months ago
334 posts

By the way, as for my original question, I have since discovered that my fingers like it better when I remove the inner melody string to play chord style. More space to spread my fingers, i guess. 

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 months ago
1,460 posts

Bottom line -- it makes no difference which string of the  melody couplet you remove (permanently or temporarily);  there ar plenty of reasons to choose either string.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
215 posts

Dan Goad:

Just loosen the 1st melody string until you have enough slack to drape it down the side of the fretboard and out of the way.  You can then try with just the 3 strings.  If you don't like it that way, you can put the string back in place without havine to restring.

This is a genius idea!!!

Dan Goad
@dan-goad
5 months ago
164 posts

Just loosen the 1st melody string until you have enough slack to drape it down the side of the fretboard and out of the way.  You can then try with just the 3 strings.  If you don't like it that way, you can put the string back in place without havine to restring.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
215 posts
Thank you, Ken. I've not tried going to three strings, but I'm not sure I'd like it unless the melody string was heavier than it is with a double and the middle string lighter....
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 months ago
1,460 posts

Yes, the strings are the usual gauges.   Melody string couplets are normally matched in gauge; unlike bass couplets which often have strings tuned an octave apart and so must have two different gauge strings. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 months ago
215 posts

Just an add-on Q~are the strings the same weight when strung with three strings as with four?  TIA!

Sean Ruprecht-Belt
@sean-belt
10 months ago
32 posts

It's easy enough to change strings that I'd recommend experimenting with which melody string to remove. Try it one way for a while and then switch to the other to see which is most comfortable for you. Why, you could even try different string gauges to see which one feels and sounds best on your instrument. Variety being the spice of life and all.

Kandee
@kandee
10 months ago
29 posts

At Kentucky Music Week I observed people loosening the outer string enough so it could be pulled off the side of the fret board.  I finally got around to trying it this week and I like the sound of my dulcimer better with three strings instead of four.  I will probably end up just removing that outside melody string but I had no idea it would sound differently.  Now it has more of the mellow sound I was looking for.  I am a work in progress. sun

marg
@marg
11 months ago
483 posts

Well, i'm not switching the slots and I am keeping the outer string. Many times I use my thumb and like a noter, easier on the outer string

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
11 months ago
56 posts

I removed the outer, simply because it made the remaining three strings equidistant (almost).

marg
@marg
2 years ago
483 posts

(once you remove any one string you can freely interchange the remaining string in whichever slot suits you)

I guess I will be switching slots, I have 3 strings on one of my dulcimers and it's the outer string, Thanks for the info.

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 years ago
334 posts

Outer string removed. How sweet it is!

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 years ago
334 posts

Okay, thanks for your help Robert.

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
242 posts

Remove the outer string if you play chords or fingerpick. Remove inner string if you play noted drone. Actually once you remove any one string you can freely interchange the remaining string in whichever slot suits you... Robert.

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 years ago
334 posts

Is it better to remove the outer, or inner melody string when going from 4 to 3 strings on a dulcimer?