@dan
last year
78 posts

Great read!

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
last year
350 posts

That's a great article Rob.  It gives an interesting perspective on the mountain communities of Kentucky, particularly the strength of the old English connection.  I'm a Londoner who has ended up spending his life in the Highlands of Scotland and mountains of Wales so I can empathise with the draw of the Appalachians to the English.  The section on the dulcimer is very instructive, as is the section on whiskey - both are dear to my heart too grin

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
904 posts

I hope to get back to this, Rob-- thanks for the posting! 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
David Bennett
@david-bennett
last year
39 posts

That's great! Thanks for posting it.

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
last year
453 posts

Ken, when you get to the section on music, I think you'll find something to that effect.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
527 posts

Thanks, Rob, that looks interesting. I haven't had time to read all of it yet. If we keep getting rain, I should find some time to sit down and read it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

BTW, it was Josiah Combs who wrote about the dulcimer once being popular but going out of style. I'll have to find that and give the proper quotation.

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
last year
453 posts

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here before; I couldn't find anything about it.  Here's a link to pamphlet by Josiah Combs about the Kentucky Highlander.  It's very interesting.

http://www.bluegrassmessengers.com/the-kentucky-highlanders--josiah-combs-1913.aspx