Appalachian Journey - streaming video

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
7 years ago
66 posts
No - definitely not me in the film! If I were you'd recognise me by the two left feet!Robin, you need to know that John Henry is a great leg puller where his friends are concerned!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
922 posts
:)

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
7 years ago
341 posts
Hi Robin, I think it might be just a remarkable resemblance! (unless he has been holding out on me) I should mention that we are friends, at least we were until he sees my previous posting!!best wishes, JohnHRobin Thompson said:
Glad you enjoyed seeing it again, John!

Although not the thrust of the video, I would point someone wanting to know the differences between old-time music and bluegrass music in the direction of this documentary-- can be seen in the approaches to music and to dance.

PS-I just caught John Henry's post after I posted. John Shaw, are you in this documentary? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
922 posts
Glad you enjoyed seeing it again, John!Although not the thrust of the video, I would point someone wanting to know the differences between old-time music and bluegrass music in the direction of this documentary-- can be seen in the approaches to music and to dance.PS-I just caught John Henry's post after I posted. John Shaw, are you in this documentary? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

--
Robin T
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
7 years ago
341 posts
John, I have watched it a couple of times now, and I am particularly interested in the section on 'flatfooting',specifically the footage shown at approx 34.00 to 35.00. It causes me to ask what year were you in the USA? I know that you play exceedingly good dulcimer, and that you also sing, but dance.........................? Slight of build,floppy hair,dark rimmed specs; can you confirm my suspicions?Best wishes,JohnH (got in a right mess trying to install that mic!)John Shaw said:
Thanks for posting this link, Robin. My wife Angela and myself had a very happy afternoon/evening watching it. I have seen it before - a long time ago when it was on British television - but it was great to see it again.
John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
7 years ago
66 posts
Thanks for posting this link, Robin. My wife Angela and myself had a very happy afternoon/evening watching it. I have seen it before - a long time ago when it was on British television - but it was great to see it again.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
922 posts
It's really a pleasure to watch, Stephanie. I confess that I wish there were less cultural commentary and more of the old-timers' play and talk. Having said that, I'm still very glad A Lomax made the documentary!

--
Robin T
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
7 years ago
61 posts
Looks good. I plan to spend more time with it. Thanks for sharing this.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
922 posts
Mountain dulcimer, ballad singing, and even a mouth bow and lots more to be seen & heard!

PS-Wish there were more mountain dulcimer. ; ) Though other instruments figure more prominently in the piece than our beloved one, this is a neat piece to watch. Most especially, I like hearing the 'old-timers' play, talk and tell stories.

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/14/15 10:39:41PM