Short film on Edd Presnell

Robin Clark
@robin-clark
4 years ago
352 posts

Hi Robin,

I've just recorded a couple of noter dronetracks on old instruments tonight as I have a local young singer coming over tomorrow to try out some tunes and see if we can get somewhere with them. It will be easier for her to work from a pre-recorded track to start with before we do a live take.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
872 posts
Robin, thanks for bumping the discussion-- I watched the film again. Coincidentally, I saw a Presnell just the weekend before last at the SEOhio Dulcimer fest and also a Jethro Amburgey. It was a treat to see them. And I love it that you are recording on old instruments and will stay tuned for further happenings with the project.

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
4 years ago
352 posts

I thought I'd bump this thread as the video is always worth a watch Smile.gif

I managed to get my hands on Geoff Black's 1960s Ed Presnell 3 string at the weekend while at Launde. It is a great example of a traditionalAppalachian dulcimer and I used it to highlight some of the differences between older dulcimers and contemporary instruments during my talk on older playing styles. The instrument is long scale, the headstock and fretboard are all one piece (now that's a construction feature I liked !), the action was high enough to hang your washing off and the fret pattern was around 1/4 tone sharp all the way. If I hadn't seen and heard Nettie playing in the video here I would have been at a loss as to what to do with the instrument because it will not play in tune with a 'standard' approach. However, winding the melody string up to 'b 1/2' and middle string up to around c then dropping the bass to C and the instrument started to perform. Nettie played from a 1'-1-1 tuning (or 1'-1-1 flatin this case!), centering around the 7th fret (the mixolidian scale). I've not heard her use the open string in the 5 recordings of her playing I have found, which is possibly why the Presnell scale being so far out at the open string just was never an issue. When I played with a noter and a Presnell wood strummer the instrument wasvery, veryloud and had an incredible tone - just magic Smile.gif I'm hoping to get together with Geoff shortly and record the instrument in Nettie's playing style. This dulcimer was certainly not an instrument for the faint hearted and it seemed to be another example of a pre-revival dulcimer build primarily with one tuning and one playing style in mind.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
872 posts

EM, I'd point you to Bill Howard for direction in trying to put an insurance value on your Presnell. I'd guess Bill's handled more dulcimers by more different makers than just about anyone on the planet.

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/profile/Bill_Howard

Although there have been no additions to Bill's page for some time, a private message can be sent to him from the page.

Electric Mantra said:

I have a 1986 Ed dulcimer and I love it. I recorded the Electric Mantra song "Red Sea" if you want to hear how great this dulcimer sounds. You can check it out at www.electricmantra.com if you want to hear it.

Does anyone know what a 1986 Presnell dulcimer is worth..four string in perfect condition. It looks identical to the one in the video. I would never sell it but would like an insurance value. Thanks and great site.

--
Robin T
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
872 posts

Stephanie,

You've got a real treasure-- so good you were able to hang onto it through the years!

--
Robin T
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
7 years ago
61 posts
Thanks for posting this. My first dulcimer was an Edd Presnell. It's one of the few things that I've kept over many moves and almost 4 decades.
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
7 years ago
352 posts

Hi Robin,

That's a great film! Thanks for posting it. Those Presnel dulcimers look very light and lively!

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
872 posts

Yup, Bill, it is kool! And that YouTube channel has lots of neat-looking documentary films that I'd like to take a look at.

Bill Lewis said:

Thanks for bringing that to us Robin. I may have seen it before, not sure but its still kool.

--
Robin T
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
7 years ago
55 posts
Thanks for bringing that to us Robin. I may have seen it before, not sure but its still kool.
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
872 posts

--
Robin T
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
872 posts

Thanks to Doug Berch I got to see this film on Edd Presnell! (See the next posting, please, for the embedded film. Having no luck putting it here.) I saw it in a posting on the blog section of Doug's website:

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/14/15 10:39:41PM