Book of "Hokey" Songs?

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
6 years ago
243 posts

Play what you like, most group jams are pretty receptive to other songs, though too many tear-jerkers in a row doesn't always go over too well.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
171 posts

Yes, Hal Leonard books seem good about giving that information. I was just the other day prowling dulcimer books because a member here mentioned offering his stock. I noticed the ebooks he had don't give that information so I presume it's publisher dependent.

Glad your family has you attuned to the printaholic tendencies of some of us!

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
6 years ago
36 posts

I did notice, Lois,that on that Amazon listing the contents were listed in the first comment. Maybe the same person did the same on the other decades' books. That way you could at least see what's in them and then buy them at the other site!

- Steve (Father of a librarian and husband of a school library assistant!)

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
171 posts

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm seeking, Steve! Tab's great, but I doubt books are out there with it for these types of songs since they probably are too costly for a dulcimer anthology. By nature I tend to prowl books. ("You can take the librarian out of the library, but not the library out of the librarian" I was told after leaving it as my profession...still sub occasionally when it fits my schedule.) IF there is anything with tab it would definitely be worth knowing. Hey, maybe I should produce it!39.gif I'd gladly let somebody more knowledgeable do it, but think I can transpose SMN well enough to do it.

Thank you, Steve! I'll wait and see what other, if any, suggestions appear before haunting a music store. The contents are not always shown on music books.

Hmmmm on 2d thought, I love Better World Books and this week is 30% off! They support worldwide literacy and also help libraries by buying their discarded books and also what doesn't sell in library book sales. Strongly recommend them, especially what comes directly from them. Guess I know what I'm going to be prowling in any of my spare time this week!

LoiS(ign me a Bibliomaniac or maybe just a Book Addict!)

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
6 years ago
36 posts

You might want to check out the Hall Leonard "Decade Series" if you don't need tab and just wantnotation, chordsand lyrics. An example is Songs of the 1920's at Amazon.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
171 posts

O.k. "Hokey" sounds negative. Probably should have called them something like "Standards." I know people here must have some favorite music books with both melody lines and the various verses. Hate to reinvent the wheel by creating my own or needlessly buying tons of books only to add to my always bulging library. 7.gif

Wish the smileys included the American Sign Language sign for HELP!106.gif

Right now all discussion is me talking to myself.35.gif

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
171 posts

Not seeing suggestions of anthologies of music from the 1st half of the 20th century, maybe it would help to name a few songs to clarify what I'm seeking: You Are My Sunshine; Sweet Georgia Brown; (5 Foot 2) Has Anybody Seen My Gal; Blue Skies; On the Sunny Side of the Street. None of those are public domain, but definitely old songs most people recognize. Ya see why I called them "hokey"? Hokey, but surely there's a music anthology of a lot of that sort of song.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
171 posts

Just came from a weekend where, in addition to storytelling, there was some music jamming. Figured folk and public domain songs would work, but this group were into what I'd call "hokey" songs. They're the songs safely played at a gathering of elders who know songs from the 20s, 30s, 40s and maybe 50s. They're part of our cultural heritage so it's fairly likely that even though they're from more than 50 years ago most people would know the words or, if given song sheets, could easily sing along. What are some books that would be good for that? I'd figure "fake" books would have the melody lines, but probably not all the verses. A lot of these songs might be in the Sing Out book, but I want the melody lines, too, and that just gives lyrics and chords. (I know, don't want much do I?)

updated by @lois-sprengnether-keel: 06/11/15 07:41:53AM