Green Grow the Lilacs, seeking key of C sheet music

Dave Maron
Dave Maron
@dave-maron
4 years ago
1 posts

Julie, I agree with Dusty on the transposing if you want to have a hard copy to share with other players. He is right about the accidentals (hiccups); but they can be remedied. Good luck with your efforts. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Dave

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
1,184 posts

How are you playing the song? If you have the music and tab in D for DAd or DAA tuning, as Jan says you can just tune to CGc or CGG and use the same tab.  You will be playing in C.  No new music needed.

If you actually want to transpose the music itself, that it not hard either.  Every note and every chord will just be one whole step lower in C.  So when you see a D, it should be a C; when you see an E, it should be a D; when you see a G, it should be an F; and so forth. That will work for chords and notes.

I do want to warn you that there may be a couple of accidentals in the melody, meaning notes that are not part of the diatonic scale. If you are just singing, you can strum chords and be OK. But if you want to play the melody on your dulcimer, you may have some obstacles to overcome.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Julie Hopkins
Julie Hopkins
@julie-hopkins
4 years ago
5 posts

Have not used that program before, but I will give it a try..... thank you Rob!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
4 years ago
447 posts

Julie, If you have the sheet music in D, then download Musescore (if you don't need dulcimer tab) or Musedit (if you do need dulcimer tab) and use its transpose feature to take it down to C.  I use both and they are great, free programs.  Let me know if you need more info.

Julie Hopkins
Julie Hopkins
@julie-hopkins
4 years ago
5 posts

Thank you for the lead, Ken!  Looks like lots of possibilities on that site.  Though I'll need to figure out in which song book the tune is actually in the key of C.  I'm researching!   Thanks:)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
1,668 posts

Try www.sheetmusicplus.com  Do a  google search on Green Grow the Lilacs Sheet Music for more links.

Julie Hopkins
Julie Hopkins
@julie-hopkins
4 years ago
5 posts

Thank you Jan!  I should have made my post more clear...... I can play the chords in key of C.  But the reason I'm looking for actual sheet music is that I play in a group and a few of the others who play melody need the standard music notation (fiddle, banjo, tenor guitar players).  Thanks so much!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
447 posts

Retune to CGc and play it as you would in the DAd.

OR

Do you have a 1.5 fret?  If so, you can easily play the C, F, and G chords without having to move your hand all over the fretboard.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 03/28/16 10:44:31PM
Julie Hopkins
Julie Hopkins
@julie-hopkins
4 years ago
5 posts

Looking for this tune in standard musical notation in key of C.   I already have it in tab format in key of D with chords and music notation...... and can find it online in key of G.   But hoping to find the key I like to sing it in... key of C ... anyone got leads?  Thanks