YepSureOK
YepSureOK
@yeahsureok
3 weeks ago
21 posts
@lois-sprengnether-keel. No worries. I wasn't really offended so much, but confused. I can talk too much sometimes and end up not makimg sense and was wondering if I had done that.

Also, due to some personal stuff, I did kinda have my feelings on my sleeve when I replied this morning.
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
3 weeks ago
122 posts

Sorry, no sarcasm  intended.  Your advice was well-intended.   My sole reason for writing again was in the hope somebody here knew the books and could give further insight. 

Again, my own apologies if I unintentionally offended you.

YepSureOK
YepSureOK
@yeahsureok
3 weeks ago
21 posts

@lois-sprengnether-keel Good for you for deciding what's right for you. I hope Book 2 gives you the help you're looking for. I apologize for my advice being useful at all. Not quite sure how it warranted such a sarcastic reaction, especially without elaboration, but ok. My opinion is just one opinion so it's not a big deal or anything. Happy playing.

updated by @yeahsureok: 10/22/18 09:00:54AM
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
122 posts

Hoped Anne Dodson's "Field Guide To The Mountain Dulcimer" Book 1 and Book 2, published earlier this year were familiar to someone here.  YepSureOK, your "handle" here kind of matches my Yeahrightsure reaction.  You may indeed be right, but I think I'll try the other route of getting Book 2 & see if I can manage since the author seems to review in it & also doesn't  give that Table of Contents she mentions nor other answers.  Ken, thanks for your familiarity with hearing her.  My bibliomaniacal tendencies lead to buying so many books & I must do what I can to keep it down...Even if I drop hints to get it as a present, there's still a limit to how many books I can house.  (Kinda like a limit on how many instruments & songs I can play.)

As a side note, I bought this mug from a local bookseller moving out of her house.  Only later that day did I learn the artist, Edward Gorey, died that same day.  "So many books, so little time" is certainly true, even for music books.

YepSureOK
YepSureOK
@yeahsureok
4 weeks ago
21 posts
I finally got around to googling her and I listened to a few of her songs on youtube. She is indeed very talented. Adding her books to my Amazon wish list.
@lois-sprengnether-keel I'm not the most experienced player and I'm not an instructor, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think it'd be worth it to get book 1. Especially if there is any aspects of the basics in your playing you feel could use more work. Plus, I find it helpful, atleast for myself, to explore different styles and techniques of various different instructors, and compare their methods to one another. That's the learning approach I've been taking over the 2 years I've been playing, and I feel like it's helped me to learn what all a dulcimer is capable of and to develop my own playing style.
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
122 posts

I did indeed Google her & have questions after looking at her 2 books pdfs.  I'm uncertain if I should buy Book 1 or can start on 2 &, from her comments I suspect I'm not the only one.  She doesn't give a Table of Contents for either & says she wrote many original tunes to teach techniques.  I started with Ionian noter/drone & can manage Mixolydian tab, but don't know chords & am sure there's more right hand work to learn.  In Book 2, at the risk of giving too much of her text (which she posts in her sample) she starts with my question & says: 

Do I need to have conquered Book 1 before starting this book?

Well, that’s a good question and the answer is “it depends.” Book 1 is basically a beginner’s guide, addressing

buying, tuning, holding and care of the instrument as well as learning to play simple melodies, and chords in

different positions. It also addresses basic right and left hand techniques and presents some tunes for you to play

that reinforce what you’ve learned throughout the book.

A few tunes that were introduced in simple forms in Book 1 show up again in Book 2, adding complexity with

each appearance. This should not be a major problem, but could be a consideration if you’re trying to decide

where to begin.

So, it’s up to you to decide if you’d like to start with the basics, contained in Book 1, or if you’re ready to

charge ahead to the next level. I suggest that you look over the Table of Contents and Level II introduction and

see if it makes sense to you, or if you need a bit more background.

Whether you’ve finished Book 1 or are starting this series here with Book 2, there are a couple of things from the first book that I thought would be helpful to repeat.

So given what background I have, does anybody having these books think I will do well enough starting in 2 or not?
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,791 posts

Google her.  The lady has a quite extensive international performance reputation -- over 20 years.  Not all fabulous dulcimer players are part of the "mainstream" dulcimer culture.  There are a number, like Anne, and a guy I met recently named Andru Bemis from New York, who travel and perform the 'house concert' circuit playing dulcimer along with other instruments

YepSureOK
YepSureOK
@yeahsureok
4 weeks ago
21 posts

Since I picked up the dulcimer, i've been working on building a library of instructional and technique books.  I recently saw on Amazon two new books.  "Field Guide To The Mountain Dulcimer" Book 1 and Book 2, published March and April of this year. They were written by Anne Dodson. I am not familiar with Anne Dodson as a player or teacher. Has anyone ever heard of her? I plan to look for her next time I get on youtube, if I think about it. They look like they could be really good books. Has anyone else looked at them or used them?