Tab for "There is a Time" by the Dillards

Michael Willey
Michael Willey
@michael-willey
one week ago
5 posts

Yes, Dusty, thanks very much for the very helpful information!

Susie
Susie
@susie
one week ago
288 posts
That will give me a kick start on the song, thanks Dusty!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one week ago
1,097 posts

@Susie, since the song was written a few decades ago, it is still under copyright, so I don't want to distribute the tablature I wrote, which was a specific request by an individual who used to take lessons from me before her mother's health required more intense caretaking. 

I can explain that I arranged the tune in Bm out of a DAd tuning. There are only three chords involved: Bm, D, and A.  The melody begins and ends on the first fret of the middle string.  So the notes for "There is" are found on the first fret of the middle string, then "a" then moves to the open melody string, and "time" is found on the second fret of the melody string.  The entire melody is found between the first fret of the middle string and the fifth fret of the melody string.

If you play chords and prefer DAA, the song could also work in Bm, and the melody would fall between the first and eighth frets of the melody string.  But that would not work in in a drone style because the wrong notes would be droning.  In a drone style you would want to switch keys and tune DAC or DAG perhaps.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
one week ago
288 posts
Dusty, if you have this tabbed out, could I get a copy? I do most of my own tabbing of songs, but that's a song I love, and haven't gotten around to doing. You would save me some time.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,097 posts

Just playing the melody strings is not problem at all.  It's the traditional way of player the dulcimer. I was just asking to see what kind of tab you were looking for. I had tabbed out the melody, as I said, in Bm out of a DAd tuning, but I made use of the middle string. You would want another tuning to stick to the middle string.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Michael Willey
Michael Willey
@michael-willey
2 weeks ago
5 posts
Dusty, I just play the melody strings only. Despite having owned dulcimers for years, I am still a newbie because I never make time to practice, but NO MORE! Would playing just the melody strings be a problem?
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,097 posts

@michael-willey, a student of mine requested that tune a while back but she quit before I ever finished the tab.  I had started arranging it in Bm in a DAd tuning, but as @stewart-mccormick says, it can be played in DAC as well.  I think you could probably capo at the first fret and play it in Em out of a DAd tuning as another alternative.

Do you fret across all the strings or do you play on the melody string only?  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 05/11/19 11:54:16AM
Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
2 weeks ago
68 posts
I was messing around with that tune with my main noter dulcimer! I had it tuned to DdC or DAC...
Michael Willey
Michael Willey
@michael-willey
2 weeks ago
5 posts

Has anyone ever seen (or tabbed it out themselves) "There is a Time" by the Dillards.  They were the Darling family band on the Andy Griffith Show.  Thanks so much!

updated by @michael-willey: 05/12/19 01:38:53PM