Where to Purchase Tablature Music for the Dulcimer

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 months ago
175 posts

So sorry for your reason to especially want Farewell, Angelina.  I'm glad Dylan used " "Farewell to Tarwathie" and that Brian was able to point you to the correct original.  I've been playing "Morning Has Broken" lately because it, too, is set to an old tune.

I had my ears perk up when you said 1955 for a cut-off date for Public Domain.  That's presuming no extension was filed.  (Also arrangements become a new composition.)  I strongly recommend http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/copyright-public-domain.html &, of course the group here.  It's not a problem when playing for your own am aze ment, but performances can become tricky when you start getting out of the beginner category.  With all the performances getting canceled or handled digitally, I'm grateful my historical storytelling stays in Public Domain.  My new Prohibition program involves a <GASP!> ukulele.  It will never be an instrument I love, but it's right for the era. 

AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
4 months ago
26 posts

Strumelia:

A-cat, this one site has enough free dulcimer tab of all kinds to keep anyone busy for a very, very long time:

https://dulcimertab.com/click-here-for-tablature-list/

(to be clear, the fellow who started dulcimertab .com downloaded and re-posted the entire collection of tab from Bruce Ford's late great site everythingdulcimer .com)

Hi Strumelia:

I just looked at your link.  I DO believe that you are right!!!  Thanks!!!

updated by @angelinacat: 03/07/20 08:22:14PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,783 posts

A-cat, this one site has enough free dulcimer tab of all kinds to keep anyone busy for a very, very long time:

https://dulcimertab.com/click-here-for-tablature-list/

(to be clear, the fellow who started dulcimertab .com downloaded and re-posted the entire collection of tab from Bruce Ford's late great site everythingdulcimer .com)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
4 months ago
26 posts

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for your replies.  It is greatly appreciated.

@Strumelia.  Thank you for moving this thread to a more appropriate spot.  I looked at three or four different areas, but couldn't decide where it should be.

@Belinda.  I am using DAD tuning since that is what is used in my  beginner's book.  As to my level of playing, I consider myself very much a beginner.  But, because of my piano  background, as I am working through the book,  I am also picking up tunes by ear and playing those.  Sadly, during all my piano lessons, If never learned the names of the chords.  So when I see chord notation above the staff, I don't know what that is talking about.   So that is one of my bigger challenges.

@ken-hulme.  Yes I know about the copyright laws I remember I went to a copyright seminar several years ago as part of my job.  I remember the cut-off date being around 1955.  But the Sonny Bono Law screwed up a lot of things--especially music--going into 'Public Domains'.  Thank you for the reminder.

@brian-g.  I have printed all the links you sent.  I will be trying them shortly.

Thanks again to everyone!

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 months ago
364 posts

Hi

AngelinaCat:

Susie:

AngelinaCat, I've prepared a Word document that gives the links to many/most of the free tab sites. If you want it, I can send it to you. Just let me know.

Hi Susie:

Yes, thank you very much.  It will be greatly appreciated.  Can you send it by PM or would youy like my email address.  That I would send  by PM.

Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you.

AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
4 months ago
26 posts

Hi

Susie:

AngelinaCat, I've prepared a Word document that gives the links to many/most of the free tab sites. If you want it, I can send it to you. Just let me know.

Hi Susie:

Yes, thank you very much.  It will be greatly appreciated.  Can you send it by PM or would youy like my email address.  That I would send  by PM.

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 months ago
364 posts

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
4 months ago
99 posts

Hi AngelinaCat,

Others have already mentioned that there are many sources of free tab available online, but I want to point out that you don't have to look specifically for dulcimer tab.  There are even more sources of free midi files, abc files, and other types that can easily be converted to tab with the right software, and some of that software is free or low cost also.  Tabledit and Noteworthy Composer are two that come to mind, but there are others.

Also, regarding Farewell Angelina specifically - that tune is part of a much larger and older tune family (Dylan used to use old folksongs as the basis for his work.) You'll be able to find many versions available if you search for some of the older names for the tune he used, such as "Farewell to Tarwathie," "Rye Whiskey" or "Jack of Diamonds", for example.  Here are three freely available versions for you:

Farewell to Tarwathie

Farewell to Tarwathie

Farewell to Tarwathie  

Enjoy!  :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,783 posts

Hi, I moved this thread to our Dulcimer Resources forum area where it seems to fit best.  Thanks!  howdy

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,750 posts

Literally hundreds, if not thousands of sources for FREE dulcimer tab in every genre you can think of.  Far too many to start listing.  I suggest you start with a Google search on phrases like "Dulcimer Celtic Tab", "Dulcimer tab Blues"  or "Dulcimer Tab folk music".  Also search on specific song titles.

Realize that virtually all "modern" music (anyone writing/recording since say 1940) is protected under copyright, and those things you will have to buy.

Belinda Link
Belinda Link
@belinda
4 months ago
7 posts
Correction: I meant DAD, DAA, etc on what key you are playing in.
Belinda Link
Belinda Link
@belinda
4 months ago
7 posts
There are many, many books of dulcimer tablature, it would be helpful to know what key you are playing in (DAD, DAD, etc), and also your skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc) in order fir you to know where and what to search for. There are also literally hundreds of free tablature available online from multiple sources, individuals, dulcimer clubs, and professionals alike.
AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
4 months ago
26 posts

Hi Folks:

I am looking for a book or sheet music for dulcimers.  I am looking for a variety of different genres from Mountain Folk music to fairly modern such as 'Farewell Angelina' sung by Joan Baez, written by Bob Dylan.

The source for my username was tragically killed by a neighbor's pitbull dog.  And, oddly enough, the aforementioned song is comforting in a sense.

Thanks!!!!