Joseph Atwell Suddreth 1981 dulcimer for sale

Bob
Bob
@bob
one week ago
86 posts

It looks beautiful indeed. Looking at the lovely f holes, you can see his violin building skills as well.

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
one week ago
36 posts

I meant the photo was taken in the traditional manner you requested!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,497 posts

Yes -- Til was one of my dulcimer building mentors, and he let me build things in his shop.  We were great friends for several years before his death.   Interesting that one of his has come up for sale -- you don't often see them.    Your Suddreth is a nice looking instrument, that's for sure.  So many small, local builders who only really come to light after they've passed away.  I wouldn't call the instrument particularly 'traditional' though, with the 6+ and 13+ frets and geared tuners.

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
one week ago
36 posts

Ken Hulme:

I don't think anyone here has heard of this maker.  Not the best set of photos to show off the instrument.  Better perhaps to show it more traditionally -- on a flat surface, neutral background, instrument sitting upright.  

Ken, if you look at the very first picture I posted, I think you'll find it "traditional." I also had included a link in that posting to google photos with a lot more pictures but they didn't work. So then I had to download them to my computer before I put them on here. But maybe you'll find  a picture you like in this next batch (see below). Are you the Ken that was friends with T.O Holloway? If you are, you'll remember me from Everything Dulcimer. One of Holloway's is for sale on Ebay.

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
one week ago
36 posts

It is in great playing condition! I will try to attach more pictures. I just have a dulcimer buying problem. In fact, it took me 20 minutes to find where I had tucked this one away~ I have a dulcimer to fit every budget (and my house is starting to burst at the seams!). I just can't find time to list them! Start with the bottom photo.

IMG_4389.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG  •  1.1MB

IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG  •  1.4MB

IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG  •  1.3MB

IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG  •  1.3MB

IMG_4390.JPG
IMG_4390.JPG  •  950KB

IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG  •  1.4MB

updated by @linda2: 02/08/19 06:12:30PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one week ago
848 posts

I enjoyed the additional information, @greg-gunner and @Richard-Streib -- thanks a bunch!  

To my unlearned eye, the back and sides look as though they could be a mahogany and the top some kind of cedar. 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one week ago
104 posts

I did a search and found this.

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
one week ago
58 posts

Since not many dulcimer players are familiar with Joseph Atwell Suddreth's work, I've attached a link to his obituary.  It appears from the obituary that Mr. Suddreth was a lifelong furniture maker and a master craftsman who made both violins/fiddles and mountain dulcimers.

https://www.greenevillesun.com/obituaries/joseph-atwell-suddreth/article_2b2f61b0-0e23-5557-a258-e00b8f538067.html

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,562 posts

It looks just beautiful to me- love the rich dark wood finish.  Is it in good playing condition?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one week ago
848 posts

@linda2 I like the looks of the instrument lots!  I imagine since Mr Suddreth is not a well-known maker, it works against attracting a lot of notice.  That said, I hope the instrument finds a home where it will bring great joy to the player! 

--
Robin T
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,497 posts

I don't think anyone here has heard of this maker.  Not the best set of photos to show off the instrument.  Better perhaps to show it more traditionally -- on a flat surface, neutral background, instrument sitting upright.  

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
one week ago
36 posts

I will move my listing to Ebay Sunday and see if that works better! Thanks for looking, those of you that did!

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
3 weeks ago
36 posts

Linda2:

Atwell Suddreth Dulcimer 39 inches long.  28 inch VSL. The  bridge is not original. It is a Folkcraft plastic bridge.  Dulcimer is four string --beautiful rich, dark wood-- not sure what kind. Signed and dated. Made in NC in 1981. Cost is 175.00 plus shipping CONUS.

I took photos of the dulcimer on the wall, but it has been safely stored, not hanging, just FYI.

(link removed by Admin- link does not work)

This link should work for more pictures. Very well made dulcimer in very good condition. I tried to show his signature and date etc in the sound hole, but it is very faded. Still, you can make it out if you are looking at the dulcimer "in person."

IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4229.jpg  •  935KB

IMG_4227.jpg
IMG_4227.jpg  •  425KB

IMG_4226.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg  •  409KB

IMG_4219.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG  •  260KB

IMG_4223.jpg
IMG_4223.jpg  •  415KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,562 posts

That's fine Linda, though you do have to have at least one picture showing in a FS listing. You did attach one photo successfully in your first post of this thread, so maybe you could repeat that again.  ;)

--
Site Owner

Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
3 weeks ago
36 posts

Thanks for your help, Strumelia! I will add a couple more to the Lucky Diamond listing, since my understanding is those don't work either. Or people can just message me and I could send pics :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,562 posts

Linda, I removed your google links, as they don't work.

Your pictures in the zip file DO work. However due to a site code glitch right now, when a member downloads the zip folder, they then need to simply rename the file with adding the needed "." changing the name of the downloaded folder from "zip" to ".zip".

Members: Once you download the zip folder folks, please just add the "." back into the file name, and it'll then function correctly as a zipped folder full of photos .jps you can see.

BTW I anticipate that this "." adding glitch will be fixed within the next week.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/23/19 08:45:34PM
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
3 weeks ago
36 posts

I am trying to send some in a zip file. See if that will work?

zip
Photos (6).zip  •  1.5MB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 weeks ago
848 posts

Hi, @Linda2 -- the link in your message would not work for me (on an iPad mini running Safari). 

--
Robin T
Linda2
Linda2
@linda2
4 weeks ago
36 posts

Atwell Suddreth Dulcimer 39 inches long.  28 inch VSL. The  bridge is not original. It is a Folkcraft plastic bridge.  Dulcimer is four string --beautiful rich, dark wood-- not sure what kind. Signed and dated. Made in NC in 1981. Cost is 175.00 plus shipping CONUS.

I took photos of the dulcimer on the wall, but it has been safely stored, not hanging, just FYI.

(link removed by Admin- link does not work)

This link should work for more pictures. Very well made dulcimer in very good condition. I tried to show his signature and date etc in the sound hole, but it is very faded. Still, you can make it out if you are looking at the dulcimer "in person."

IMG_4219.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG  •  260KB