Lullabies from Around the World -- Dusty's tab book available

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
yesterday
1,080 posts

I'm glad it got there safely, Ken. I hope you find a few melodies to your liking.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 days ago
565 posts

Hello, Dusty, I received the book today. It really looks good. At this point I have not had the chance to play any of the tunes but look forward to doing so in the next few days.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one week ago
1,080 posts

Hi all.  If you prefer to order directly from me instead of from The Book Patch, please visit my website.  Thanks!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts
Thanks for your good wishes, @Steven-Berger.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 weeks ago
83 posts

Way to go, Dusty! Best of luck! thumbsup

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

MacAodha: Very well done Dusty and best wishes with this project.

Thanks, Val.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 04/02/19 11:00:06AM
MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
2 weeks ago
23 posts

Very well done Dusty and best wishes with this project.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
565 posts

I will Dusty. Looking forward to the book.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

Thanks for your support, @Ken-Longfield.  I am pretty sure that you'll find a few lullabies in the book that will speak to you.  A few are really short, so you may want to create a medley for a CD.  As I say in the video, my personal favorite is Thula Baba.  Check out this video of Kimmy Skota singing it first in her native Zulu and then in Afrikaans.

Look for a personal message from me, too.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
565 posts

I enjoyed the video Dusty. I'm sure I will enjoy the book as well. When our first grandson was born we gave him a CD of lullabies recorded by members of the family that his parents could play as he went to sleep each night. He had to share that with his brother when the second grandson was born. We did another one for our grandson in California when he was born. We are expecting our first granddaughter in August, so a new a new CD may be in order. Perhaps one or two of your lullabies will make it to the CD. Thanks for putting this book together.

Ken

P.S. - I ordered a copy of the book.

updated by @ken-longfield: 04/01/19 08:30:49PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

Thanks so much, @Ken-Hulme.  This effort all started with me just searching for songs that the beginners in my local dulcimer group could learn quickly.  Then I taught a couple of workshops on lullabies at dulcimer festivals, and after a time I had enough for a whole book.

It's been an exhilarating process.  Now I just have to learn California tax law enough to know how to handle online sales.  In the meantime, I'll just rely on The Book Patch to do that for me.

Thanks again. 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
1,517 posts

Bravo, my friend!   Well, done.   And a subject that many, many dulcimer folks will enjoy.  Kudos on your YouTube "advert for the book".  Nicely played and presented.  Best wishes for lots of sales.  Spread the word!!!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

Hey now hey!  I am really excited to announce that my first book of mountain dulcimer tab is now available:

Lullabies from Around the World arranged for the beginning mountain dulcimer.

FRONT COVER FINAL 2 small file.jpg

$20 + shipping/handling

The book contains over 20 lullabies presented in both standard music notation and dulcimer tablature, all intended for DAd or other 158 tuning.  All the tunes can be played either with a flatpick or in a fingerpicking style, and lyrics with English translations are presented for all tunes.

Buy Dusty's Lullabies from Around the World from The Book Patch now!

The arrangements are designed for the beginner player, and lullabies are perfect in this regard, since the simple melodies fit easily on the dulcimer's diatonic fretboard, and lullabies include a lot of repetition and are intended to be played slowly.  These melodies are, very simply, beautiful, soothing and calming.

An Appendix includes:

1) an original lullaby I wrote entitled "Please Take Your Time Growing Older"

2) a discussion of 6 specific strategies to enhance the basic arrangements in the book

3) an enhanced arrangement of one of the tunes

Attached is a copy of the table of contents, and if you want more information, please view this video of me describing the book and playing some sample tunes.

Once I learn more about internet commerce and taxes here in California I will sell the book from my website, but for now you can buy the book directly from The Book Patch.

Buy Dusty's Lullabies from Around the World from The Book Patch now!

If you have any questions, please contact me through the Private Message system here at FOTMD or the Contact Dusty page at the River City Dulcimers website.

If you buy the book, please let me know, and I'll mail to you free of charge this 3" x 3" sticker offering helpful and humorous advice on solid left-hand fingering technique.  The sticker looks great on a dulcimer case, a water bottle, a bicycle helmet, or whatever.

curved finger 4 with RCD URL.jpg

pdf

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 04/12/19 01:06:45AM