looking for a new trad instrument

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one week ago
867 posts

I heard John playing an Uncle Will Singleton-style he'd built when out on the sidewalk in Hindman KY in '15-- it sounded wonderful!  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,517 posts

Good choice Ross!  

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
one week ago
83 posts

I think you're gonna really like that Will Singleton from John...I have the first one he built...I love it! Mine is all poplar...great sound! And John's a nice guy to work with!

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
one week ago
45 posts

So I ordered a Singleton replica from John Knopf this evening. It's "even temperament" ... someday I shall give in to my geeky traditionalism and go for "just intonation" instead. Not this year.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

If you eat a lot of carrots, perhaps you will save money and you can afford a lot of karats as well as perhaps some carats.  But I'm a poor writer, so I use more carets. ROTFL

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 weeks ago
45 posts

Strumelia:

That sounds like a very healthy dulcimore choice, with all those carrots...  muscle

I agree with other posts here-  you can't go wrong ordering your perfect traditional dulcimer between those four wonderful gentlemen builders:

John Knopf

Bobby Ratliff

Kevin Messenger

Dan Cox

Hi, Strumelia! I think so too.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,593 posts

Dan:

P.S. I also do a less traditional gilded 24 carrot gold and diamond studded piece for around $285,000.00, but....

That sounds like a very healthy dulcimore choice, with all those carrots...  muscle

I agree with other posts here-  you can't go wrong ordering your perfect traditional dulcimer between those four wonderful gentlemen builders:

John Knopf

Bobby Ratliff

Kevin Messenger

Dan Cox

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 04/04/19 11:55:10AM
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 weeks ago
45 posts

Hi, Dusty!

Life has taken me away from playing for a while now, but I think with an instrument better set up for noter playing than my old Folkcraft teardrop I can get more into it. I have bookmarked several of the makers here and will look at their stock carefully!

updated by @b-ross-ashley: 04/04/19 12:21:55AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,080 posts

Hey BRAshley, I just wanted to say "hi and welcome back."  I remember your lively discussions when I first discovered the dulcimer world.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 weeks ago
45 posts

Benjamin W Barr Jr:

I'm going to get right on and order gilded 24 carat gold and diamond studded dulcimer...soon as my ship comes in.

When my ship comes in I'll be waiting for it at the airport.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
1,517 posts

Another builder of traditional style dulcimers is Bobby Ratliff.  His aren't copies of historic dulcimers, but they are darn-fine instruments built for traditional style playing.  I own one of his and one of John Knopf's Uncle Ed replicas and both are exemplary.

Benjamin W Barr Jr
Benjamin W Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
2 weeks ago
63 posts

I'm going to get right on and order gilded 24 carat gold and diamond studded dulcimer...soon as my ship comes in.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 weeks ago
169 posts

Steven Berger:

Wow, Dan! That 24 carat gold and diamond dulcimer is just what I'm in the market for! joyjoy

The shipping charge alone would kill the deal...

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 weeks ago
83 posts

Wow, Dan! That 24 carat gold and diamond dulcimer is just what I'm in the market for! joyjoy

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 weeks ago
169 posts

And I (John Knopf) have a black walnut J. E. Thomas hourglass dulcimer with hand-carved pegs and homemade strings. Upside-down heart soundholes and staple frets. Sounds great!  It's ready to go now, and it's $350 plus shipping.  You can see my website by clicking on my ad below, when it shows up on the left-hand side.

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 weeks ago
88 posts

Dulcimore Dan here! (@Dan) I have two original pieces, 26 inch "Betty" and a 28 inch "Ultra-Lite". All poplar with phenolic nut and bridge, Rosewood or Ebony tuning pegs, hand rubbed oil or shellac finish, music wire staple frets and string made right here in Tennessee, shipped to your door in a hand made wooden coffin shipping crate, $285.

www.dulcimore.com

P.S. I also do a less traditional gilded 24 carrot gold and diamond studded piece for around $285,000.00, but....

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
2 weeks ago
11 posts

I second what Steven says. I'm positive one of those guys can build something you like.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 weeks ago
83 posts

Check out John Knopf, Bobby Ratliff, Dan Cox, Kevin Messenger...they all specialize in building traditional dulcimers. Also, check out the event next month in Berea, Ky (traditional dulcimer gathering). All the above luthiers are members on this site, and the Berea event is listed and advertised here also.

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 weeks ago
45 posts

Hi, all, I have not been around in WAY too long.
I have come into some money and am looking to buy an MD more in keeping with my playing style ... a traditionally set up staple-fretted diatonic, for noter-and-drone playing. What are these going for these days, and who's got 'em?