Dusty's new book of tab! Songs of Old Albion and Erin

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one month ago
1,255 posts

Thanks, @Ballad-Gal, for your kind words.  Although the book has several cool country dances, my favorites are the really pretty slow ballads.  In fact, about a week ago I posted a video of one of them: "Dawning of the Day" by the blind Irish harper Thomas Connellan.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,767 posts

Yes, I noticed the care you took to select a real nice variety.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one month ago
1,255 posts

Strumelia: Beautiful selection of tunes in this book, Dusty. 

Thanks, Strumelia. I tried to mix tunes that are pretty well known such as "Southwind" and some of the O'Carolan pieces with lesser known but equally pretty tunes. My favorites are the slow Welsh ballads, but there are couple of country dances from Northumberland that I find to be real perky and playful.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
one month ago
25 posts

Dusty, kudos to you for doing the book--you have every right to be proud.sun I loved listening to you play Southwind and the medley, both are so beautifully played.

Ann

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,767 posts

Beautiful selection of tunes in this book, Dusty.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 months ago
364 posts
Thanks Dusty!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,255 posts

Hi @Susie. That's a good question.  There are lots of styles of dulcimer playing out there and lots of styles of tab as well. This book includes intermediate-level tab, so it is more than the mere melody.  There is definitely chording involved, but not necessarily a lot of strumming.  In the blurb below I posted a link to my tab of Southwind.  I chose that tune because it's fairly well known in dulcimer circles so people could see exactly what my approach is.  You can find the tab here and the slow audio demo here .  If you watch my videos or listen to my audios you can also get a sense of how I approach the dulcimer.  Here is a medley of Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwyn and Cader Idris , both of which are included in the book and are among my favorites.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 03/04/20 11:37:34AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 months ago
364 posts

Dusty, how do you tab? Do you just tab the melody notes, or do you tab fingerstyle, or do you tab chord melody? Can you post a pic of part of one song just so we can see?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,255 posts

Thanks, @Steven-Berger. I have to admit that I'm really proud of this project.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 months ago
136 posts

Congratulations, Dusty! thumbsup

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,255 posts

Thanks so much, Robin.  Your book is in the mail.  I sent you a PM with the tracking info.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
1,035 posts

Yay, Dusty!  I just ordered my copy and look forward to getting it in the post.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,255 posts

I am proud to announce the publication of my second book of dulcimer tablature:

Songs of Old Albion and Erin:

Ballads, Airs, and Dances from the 16th to the 18th Centuries .

Albion cover 31 reduced 32 percent.jpg

The book contains over 30 intermediate-level arrangements of tunes from early modern England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  All the arrangements are for the DAd tuning, and no extra frets (other than the 6+) are required.  The book contains 4 tunes by Turlough O'Carolan and 4 tunes from John Playford's The English Dancing Master

You can see the Table of Contents here .

You can see a sample tab of  Southwind here.

You can watch a short video in which I describe the book .

Audio demos available! I've recorded slow "practice speed" audio demos of all the arrangements and made them available on a webpage.  You can choose to click once and download a zip folder with MP3s of all the demos, click a single tune to download the MP3 for that arrangement alone, or not download anything and listen to the demos straight from the webpage.

ORDER SONGS OF OLD ALBION AND ERIN:

BALLADS, AIRS, AND DANCES FROM THE 16TH TO THE 18TH CENTURIES

I've included short descriptions of each tune with suggestions about tempo, how I approach any difficult fingering, and sometimes some historical context for the songs.

Interspersed throughout the book are images taken from British publications of the time period: facsimiles of music notation, book covers, and lots of woodcuts from 17th-century broadside ballads.  So the images and the music both come from the same geographical area and chronological period!

I've posted recordings over the last few years of some of the tunes I include in the book.

video of Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwyn/Cader Idris medley

video of Auld Lang Syne

video of Sussex Carol

audio recording of Hewlett

Beginner players may still be interested in my first book of dulcimer tab, Lullabies from Around the World arranged for the beginning dulcimer .

When ordering either book, if you indicate in the comments box that you are a member of FOTMD, I will donate $5 to FOTMD.  That's $5 for every book sold to a member of FOTMD! 

ORDER SONGS OF OLD ALBION AND ERIN:

BALLADS, AIRS, AND DANCES FROM THE 16TH TO THE 18TH CENTURIES

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 03/03/20 02:55:04PM