Looking for "Walkabout" Dulcimer

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
3 weeks ago
13 posts

Timacn,

I highly recommend Olympia Walkabout Dulcimer Company in Texas.  Kevin Jones built a custom instrument for me about 3 or 4 years ago.  He was great to work with and built a Walkabout dulcimer exactly to my specifications.  Mine is the “Deluxe Safari” model.  It is the six string (metal strings ) version.  This instrument has a tremendous sound and the craftsmanship is EXCELLENT! 

I have called Kevin a couple of times recently about playing styles, etc and he is always willing to talk with me and answer my questions.

James Phillips

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 weeks ago
154 posts

Well, Lois, this is a very cool instrument and I liked it very much.   aloha, Irene

timacn
@timacn
4 weeks ago
3 posts

Very nice instrument!  Sounds good too.  Kevin at Olympia makes them and also Stan Pope at Big Leaf up in Canada.  Both sound good and look great.  Hard to decide.

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 weeks ago
364 posts
This was my Olympia that Kevin made for me. It was beautiful.

timacn
@timacn
4 weeks ago
3 posts

Such nice people on this site!  Thanks for the pointers.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
172 posts

Woops!  Meant to check and find his website, it's http://www.walkaboutdulcimer.com & I'm sure you probably know that takes you to Olympia Dulcimer Company.  I'm not a fan of doubled strings (gave up on mandolin for that reason), so that bass dulcimer also caught my eye even as the sound was pure ecstasy.  Of course my own dulcimers gradually transitioned to 3 single strings and I'm sure the doubling is strictly an option (unlike the mandolin's preference for them).

Good luck finding one, @timacn

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
172 posts

Speaking as somebody with a background of "walkabout" instruments like guitar & Native American flute, I went looking to learn more even though it's definitely out of my budget at present.  Someone calling himself DulcimerJunkie on YouTube has some that make me drool, especially the nylon stringed bass dulcimer.  Funny thing, I don't see any being used standing up. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
one month ago
364 posts

I used to have an Olympia Walkabout Dulcimer, but sold it a few years ago. They are quality made and are fun to play. Good luck in your search.

timacn
@timacn
one month ago
3 posts

Hello.  I am interested in purchasing a "Walkabout" Dulcimer. Preferably an instrument by Olympia or Big Leaf (by Stan Pope), but would be interested in others as well. 

Thanks for your help!