"Shoat" Hogfiddle for sale

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
2 weeks ago
18 posts
Another bit of info to consider....I’ve just found out that Bobby is currently not accepting any orders for any custom instruments so this is an opportunity to own one of his custom instruments that might not be available for the time being.
Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
4 weeks ago
18 posts

The VSL is 23". It came to me in Aee tuning so it is tuned pretty high. I have tuned it down to Gdd, but liked it better higher. That's just me though. I think it sounds fine tuned there as well. Bobby makes his dulcimers strung with higher tensions and slightly higher action. To me it seems to make noter play easier. Fingerdance playing would be hard on the fingers the way this one is strung and tuned. It could be lowered for that I guess, but my preference is noter play and usually faster fiddler tunes.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,787 posts

What's the scale length and recommended tuning for this dulcimer?  (i.e. is it smaller or longer than standard?)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,747 posts

Heck of a deal here, folks!  I also own and play one of Bobby's masterworks.  If you been thinking about getting involved in traditional noter & drone style playing this is a great opportunity to pick up a fabulous instrument at a good savings!

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
4 weeks ago
19 posts

Hi Kevin, I sent you a PM. Or you can contact me at: providenceV39 at aol dot com

I'm crazy about noter/drone and I've been interested in the hog fiddle for some time now. Hope to hear from you as I have a few questions. 

Jill Geary

San Diego

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
4 weeks ago
18 posts

I am asking $270 + shipping.

This hogfiddle was built by Bobby Ratliff of Slate Creek Dulcimers. You might have heard of him? He has a banner ad on the home page of this site. This dulcimore was the first instrument I purchased from him early in 2019. It is meant for noter/drone style of play. Staple frets are only under the melody string. It has a wormy red maple back and sides, sassafras soundboard with a birdseye maple overlay on the fretboard, the head and tail are sandwiched wormy red maple/birdseye maple. The bridge and nut are made of antler. Below are links to some pictures. This dulcimore comes with a suede leather bag also made by Mr. Ratliff. Be advised that the bag is not padded and is really more to protect the instrument from dust/dirt if stored in a safe place. The dulcimore is in perfect condition and has never left my house. It also comes with a tuning key for the zither pins. It is only being sold to fund a future purchase from this builder. I honestly hate to see it go.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

imgur.com/YZZ0auG
imgur.com/ymNIta7
imgur.com/rEIiQSV
imgur.com/7uU13nE
imgur.com/sDDZ8En
imgur.com/jHzVCsl
imgur.com/02kjjsA
imgur.com/mWSiiJ5
imgur.com/2XXtGkg
imgur.com/m5lX9eI

updated by @kevin-r: 09/23/20 11:22:03AM