Nylon-string dulcimer for sale $260

ukjonathan
@ukjonathan
one month ago
3 posts

Hi Jill thanx, it’s for my partner who fancied one and also wanting to learn to play

jonathan

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
25 posts

ukjonathan:

Hi Jill I’ve sent a pvt message 

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan. I couldn't find a PM from you. Good luck with having the nylon-string dulcimer built! They are very lovely sounding dulcimers!

Jill

Dan
Dan
@dan
one month ago
116 posts

I shipped a piece to UK for $90 US, they have to pay something on their end. If you do your paperwork correctly you shouldn't have any issues.

updated by @dan: 10/25/20 01:52:19PM
ukjonathan
@ukjonathan
one month ago
3 posts

Hi Jill I’ve sent a pvt message 

Jonathan

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
one month ago
118 posts

I recently received a beautiful new dulcimore from Dan Cox, shipped from Tennessee to Tokyo through the USPS. The charge was $80.00 amd Japanese customs didn't charge any taxes. Dan packs his instruments in wooden boxes he makes himself and there was plenty of bubblewrap included. 

(I'll write more about the instrument in a few days. But I'm very happy with it.)

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
25 posts

Hi Jonathan - I have not sold it - but I've never shipped overseas. Wouldn't it be terribly expensive?  I would certainly consider looking into it but boy, I bet it would cost more for shipping and import duty than the cost of the dulcimer?

ukjonathan
@ukjonathan
one month ago
3 posts

Hi is the nylon string Dulcimer still for sale and do you ship to the uk?

jonathan

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
25 posts

Hi everyone! I'm selling this lovely dulcimer.

Nylon strings (3) tuned DAd (low D is wound over nylon); wood is aspen and I believe the binding is walnut. Scale length is 25 ½.” Overall length is 34 1/2,” depth is 1 7/8.” Nut width is 1 3/8.” The violin-type tuners are geared Pegheds and work very smoothly. 6½ fret and 13½ fret.

Nut and saddle are either bone or high-density plastic (I’m not sure). Built by David Hanson, a luthier from Colorado Springs, Colorado who makes limited numbers of individual instruments – designs and materials that appeal to him and are one-offs, rather than standard designs.

I’ve had hand issues, especially my left (fretting) hand and the nylon is definitely easier for my hand to fret/play. As you can expect, this is not a loud instrument, and is lovely when fingerpicked. This isn’t a $1,500+ dulcimer like Aaron O’Rourke’s - it’s beautiful and very well built, but in full disclosure the second fret on the melody string will buzz if played hard (which I don’t do anyway – a luthier would be able to dress the fret easily if necessary). Also the low D string broke – I’ve not replaced it but that should also be a very easy fix.

Having said that, it’s a perfect instrument to see if you would like to experiment with nylon strings on a dulcimer (built specifically for nylon strings), and very affordable.

Aaron and Steve Eulberg are both creating courses specifically for classical, bossa nova, lute, classical guitar, and other styles of music for the nylon-string dulcimer! Check out YouTube videos of Aaron O’Rourke or Steven Eulberg (Dulcimer Crossing) playing nylon-string dulcimers!

Asking only $260 + shipping. 48 hour approval. More pictures available.

Steven Eulberg:

Aaron O’Rourke: