Wanted: Vintage McSpadden Dulcimer

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 weeks ago
276 posts

Nathina, I believe that horseshoe symbol was actually a stylized "M", for McSpadden.  

It was rounded at the sides like a horseshoe, though.  I've never encountered a bad McSpadden in my experience.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
3 weeks ago
187 posts

Vintage McSpaddens used a horseshoe symbol on the Fret board. These are generally pre 1982 or so until they went to solids for tops sides and bottoms and changed the Symbol to McSpadden. The vintage are laminated tops. Sound just a good though. Generally singed by Lynn McSpadden, before 1982.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
1,859 posts

Christoffer, I'll look around for you.  Cheryl has a good point -- be sure to regularly check your Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for possible Euro-local dulcimers.  Now that Robin Clark in Wales has closed his business, I only know of two dulcimer builders in Europe -- one in Germany, the other in Italy.  As you say, any dulcimer coming from the States is going to have a heavy tax toll.

Cheryl W
Cheryl W
@cheryl-w
one month ago
2 posts

Hi,

I just ran across 2 listed in the FB Discovering Dulcimers group. I'm looking for a shorter VSL of 25-25.5" myself. Good Luck!

Christoffer
Christoffer
@christoffer
11 months ago
1 posts

Hi,

I hope I created this thread in the right section, I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking for a vintage McSpadden dulcimer, can be from a kit, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just a solid, decent sounding instrument with decent intonation.

My budget is about 300 USD, but I'd like to spend less. Could also be interested in other vintage dulcimers. I'd prefer to buy from a person based in Europe, as import fees outside Europe can be a nightmare.

Thanks,
Chris