New J. E. Thomas Cumberland dulcimore for sale!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 days ago
1,836 posts

Congrats, John!  I knew it wouldn't last long!!!  Now we have someone else to invite to Berea next year!   I've offered my assistance if she needs it, since I'm only an hour away...

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 days ago
266 posts

This Thomas dulcimore has been sold.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 days ago
266 posts

Rebecca asked what scale this dulcimore is fretted in.  It's in equal-temperament, not in mean-tone or just intonation.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 days ago
189 posts

Congratulations on the award, John!  I'm sure this year's Gathering was great.  With Covid canceling most gigs, I haven't had the schoolteacher program to use the "plain Jane" Tennessee Music Box, but it's another example of how nicely you carry on in traditional style.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 days ago
1,836 posts

Rebecca -- you're in Sarasota?  I'm in Fort Myers -- send me a PM.  We should meet and do some playing together. 

I love my Knopf Thomas.  The Perfection pegs look (and install) very much like black violin style tuners, but are internally geared.  From a foot away you're hard pressed to say they are anything but a wooden peg... 

I've attached a photo from our Berea Gathering that shows the heads of John's Singleton and Thomas dulcimers side by side.  The Thomas is the one with Perfection tuners, the other has hand-carved wooden tuning pegs. 

Knopf thomas.jpg
Knopf thomas.jpg  •  44KB

updated by @ken-hulme: 06/10/21 05:19:11PM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
6 days ago
143 posts

Rebecca, you won't go wrong with any of John's dulcimores! I have 3 of them...a Tennessee Muysic Box, A Thomas, and a Singleton (the one Robin mentions)...love 'em all!

Rebecca
Rebecca
@rebecca
6 days ago
1 posts

Hi John! Just sent you a message that includes my email.

I'm very interested in the Thomas dulcimer you posted today! I've been drooling over your website all year. Beautiful, beautiful work!

A couple questions:

- Could you please send me closeup photos of the Perfection pegs (in the peghead, not by themselves)? Normally I would order wooden pegs, so I'm trying to figure out if I will like something that deviates a little bit from the old look.

- Is this dulcimer a reproduction of any specific Thomas dulcimer or date range?

- Appx how much is shipping to Sarasota, FL? I would probably want overnight -- b/c it's so HOT down here, so it would be awful if the dulcimer ended up sitting in a truck for a while.

Thanks,

Rebecca

updated by @rebecca: 06/10/21 12:12:26PM
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
6 days ago
114 posts

John sure does make some sweet sounding dulcimers, and right pretty to boot.  If you're looking to get into traditional dulcimer playing in the noter drone or finger dancing styles, this dulcimer is a great place to start.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 days ago
1,192 posts

John, that's a wonderful looking dulcimore at a great price!  

PS- I remember hearing you play one of your Uncle Will replicas on the sidewalk in Hindman and it sure was a sweet instrument, too.  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 days ago
1,836 posts

That's one "sweet sounding" dulcemore, folks!  I had a chance to strum on it at the Berea Traditional Dulcemore Gathering.  I already own one of John's Thomas replicas, or I'd be jumping on this!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 days ago
266 posts

This is my latest poplar Thomas replica dulcimore, which was to be awarded as a prize at the Berea Traditional Dulcimore Gathering last weekend.  The winner was given the option of choosing this Thomas or an Uncle Will Singleton poplar replica dulcimore, and she chose the latter.  So this one is still available for purchase.  It has round soundholes and Perfection tuners for ease of tuning. The normal price would be $467.50 since it has the special tuners, but I'll sell this one for $397 plus shipping.

The Thomas for sale is the black dulcimore in the center of both of these photos taken at Berea.

thomas berea.jpg
thomas berea.jpg  •  54KB

berea thomas.jpg
berea thomas.jpg  •  69KB

updated by @john-c-knopf: 06/09/21 10:34:26PM