Student searching for her next Dulcimer (ended)

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 weeks ago
445 posts

Good news!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
812 posts

I'm glad to hear that she found her next dulcimer. I am sure she will enjoy it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
2,013 posts

Thank you for your kind donation Karen!  sun

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Karen B
Karen B
@karen-b
2 weeks ago
4 posts

Thank you all.  My student has located her next dulcimer through a private message sale.  I will be making the required donation to FOTMD.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
2 weeks ago
13 posts

Karen,

Sorry, I misread your post - concerning desired VSL.

I also have a new walnut body/sassafras soundboard custom teardrop model that has Gotoh geared tuners and is 28 inch VSL.

This model is priced less than the "Peardrop".  It would be closer to the lower end of the price range that you described.

It is a really nice looking instrument with an precise action that makes it a joy to play.  I can also send any desired information 

on this dulcimer.

JIm Phillips

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
2 weeks ago
13 posts

Karen,

I have a new model that I am building that I call the "Peardrop".  I have been making traditional teardrop and hourglass

custom instruments for 33 years and developed this new model in the last three years.  They are 25 inch VSL and play very easily for her.

I have one new walnut "Peardrop" available and it would fall in the price range that you described.

If you private message me I can provide more information and images of this special instrument.  If a sale is made, the expected donation would be made to FOTMD.

Jim Phillips

Dave shattuck
Dave shattuck
@dave-shattuck
2 weeks ago
24 posts

I’d like to see photos.  

dplake
@dplake
2 weeks ago
2 posts

Hello, I'm just about to post a dulcimer in the For Sale forum. Made by The Dulcimer Works in Santa Monica CA around 1973. Was donated to a fund raiser for PBS station 28 by McCabes Music, and as near as I can tell, never taken out of original box. All solid wood unlike most shop made dulcimers back then that used laminates. California Walnut with spruce top. Fiddle edges, 27 3/4" VSL. All original except for new Stewart Mc Donald 5 Star geared Planetary machines, seems like the original plastic tuners have a 100% failure rate.  No 6 1/2 fret. Plays easily and in good tune and is quite light. I'll have it up  tomorrow, any questions, ask. $350. plus shipping. Any questions or need photos, ask.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 weeks ago
445 posts

Ken Longfield:

You might also check the Elderly Instruments website.

Ken

I checked with Elderly Instruments (since they are my local shop), and found there were none currently that met the criteria. I will keep a lookout for you, Karen.

Dave shattuck
Dave shattuck
@dave-shattuck
2 weeks ago
24 posts

You can easily buy a McSpadden on eBay for less than you are willing to pay. Also check shopgoodwill.com. elderlyinstruments.com. 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 weeks ago
177 posts

Carl Gotzmer at June Apple Dulcimers in Maryland builds excellent dulcimers at a great price.....................

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
812 posts

Karen, have you checked with the House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park to see if they have any suitable used dulcimers for sale? You might also check the Elderly Instruments website. If you can find a used Folkcraft the standard VSL on those was 27 inches. I've sold a lot of them over the years. Unfortunately new Folkcraft dulcimers are now $795 (starting level). I think McSpadden's may be near the same.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 09/09/21 11:26:57AM
Karen B
Karen B
@karen-b
2 weeks ago
4 posts

I have a novice student in search of her next dulcimer. Short scale (26” or less) instruments have not worked for her. I’m thinking 27 or 27.5 would be ideal. Geared tuning pegs a must. Needn’t be new; a well loved used instrument is fine. What have you lying around that you might want to sell? Thinking $500-600, but I think she might be somewhat flexible. Thanks! 

updated by @karen-b: 09/09/21 11:13:26AM