Diane R
Diane R
@diane-r
6 years ago
22 posts

Mine is named "Island" named by the Builder but I'm sure it also thinks it's name is the same as Sam's...lol... giggle2

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

Sam: With my poor attempts to learn to play them, most of the ones I've built THINK their name is 'dammit' ........  :(

laughlaugh

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Sam
Sam
@sam
6 years ago
169 posts

With my poor attempts to learn to play them, most of the ones I've built THINK their name is 'dammit' ........  :(

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

The one I'm playing,  the other one, the black one, the one Bobby made, the one Til made, the Gross replica...

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/19/18 07:45:45PM
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
234 posts

For years I did not name mine but have been more recently.

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

Yes i have one I call Superstar built by Bill Berg and another I call Baby Huey because its so big! Lorania built out of wood from an old mill built during the Civil War.   

SaraS
SaraS
@saras
6 years ago
3 posts

Lovey is my yocky's name 

Byron Kinnaman
Byron Kinnaman
@byron-kinnaman
9 years ago
9 posts

I have two dulcimers, one I call favorite the other second best.

Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

I only have one. It is a Dulcimer Factory. It has ivy sound holes so I named her Ivy Pearl.  Pearl is for Elma Pearl my mat. grandmother. If I ever get another one I will name her Jewel after my pat. Grandmother.  Kind cool both my grannies have gemstones for names.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

I call them by their makers name mostly, ie the Yocky,or my Berg. I do have 2 McSpaddens so I call the walnut one "Stripe" because of the light stripe on the back.

updated by @charles-thomas: 07/06/15 07:30:31PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

John   knopff named my Thomas   replica   but otherwise no names.  I did name a jackhammer   once    ...  jack ! 

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
9 years ago
388 posts

Barbara, I've been naming the dulcimers I build for the past couple of years.  

They're usually Bible names, taken from the Psalms.  Each one is different, kinda like those Cabbage Patch Kids.

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
9 years ago
49 posts

Mine is named Lark, short for Meadowlark, because the lovely joyful song means spring has arrived on the prairie. 

Sam
Sam
@sam
9 years ago
169 posts

I think the only one I ever named was an all cherry build I did for a friend in CT. 'Lady Barbara'. 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

I guess I spend too much time in the fantasy world, My walnut redwood is called Lady Morgana with her rich dark and delicate voice, and the cherry is Guinevere, she is bright and strong.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Nice names Barbra, and yep you need another MD for sure.

Pretty Cool Sheryl, I like that idea.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Mine is named Birdie. And she has her name tattooed on her neck. 

Skip
Skip
@skip
9 years ago
359 posts

What about a tear drop? rolleyes

updated by @skip: 07/04/15 02:39:55PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Lots of folks name their dulcimers.  I never named any of my guitars or mandolins, but most of my dulcimers have names. The first one I ever bought has rosebud soundholes and I named her Rosita.  Later I obtained a baritone teardrop with rose soundholes and named that one Tia Rosa.  I got my Blue Lion from FOTMD member Jeannie in Paradise and named it Queenie, partly in honor of Jeannie and partly because my daughter insisted that since female lions do the hunting they should be considered the queens of the jungle.  I have another named Lucinda and my daughter named her octave dulcimer with dolphin soundholes Splash.  But oddly, the the dulcimer I play most often is just my dulcimer.  No name.  

And I mean no offense, but dulcimers have such beautiful curves, they have to have female names.  I guess Lexie and I just don't agree on that.  Maybe a Tennessee music box could be called Fred or Barney, but an hourglass has to be female, especially if its voice is as alluring as the sirens' song.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/04/15 02:48:22PM
Dan
Dan
@dan
9 years ago
185 posts

My models have names, but no I don't give names to any one in particular.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Barbra, What are your names for you dulcimers?

Yes, I name my dulcimers, my first is "Ho-Hum", my favorites and new this year is "Lil' ButterNut", made by Robert Schuler modaled after A. J. Jefferies.

And the one I just purchased not long ago is, "Thommy", made by  Kevin Messanger copied after Edward Thomas. I play N & D style and my 2 new ones are very sweet to play and have that old time silvery sound....Love It!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,083 posts

I don't think you are the only one, but I don't name my instruments.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
9 years ago
155 posts

Your not alone.  My favorites get names, like my J.E. Thomas reproduction (you can view it on my page) is named "Alice" for my paternal grandmother.