Is this dulcimer possibly a Cripple Creek?

marg
@marg
6 years ago
538 posts

The Dulcimer Factory dulcimers are close in design. John Naylar & his wife learned to build theirs from cripple creek. They are well made if you get an older one before they sold the shop

marg
@marg
6 years ago
538 posts

I am looking at an older hour glass deep cripple creek, the sound is beautiful and seems to be in perfect condition.

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
6 years ago
55 posts

Hi all - thanks for the replies. I am not a beginner but just wondered about the possible origins of this dulcimer. 

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
6 years ago
74 posts

the seller probably bought the instrument in manitou springs near colorado springs.  it's a cripple creek aspen model made of baltic

birch plywood and probably sold new for around the asking price.  go with dusty's advice and buy one he reccomends.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 years ago
1,455 posts

If you search through old forum discussions here at FOTMD, you will find two or three describing serious problems with Cripple Creek dulcimers.  Apparently several years ago they were making quality instruments, but that quality has been inconsistent (to be kind) in recent years.

One discussion is here and an even older one is here .  I would avoid buying a Cripple Creek dulcimer unless you can play it first and ensure its quality.

In addition to Bill Berg, David "Harpmaker" Lynch also makes a very solid and affordable beginner dulcimer which he sells for $125.  Either of those options would be better than a mystery dulcimer from Ebay.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 09/28/15 02:08:48AM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
421 posts

There are 2 instruments with a "pointy" head like that one (at least that I know about:) Cripple Creek and Dulcimer Factory.  They both seem to be more beginner's models. 

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
6 years ago
55 posts

Hi Jan - thanks for the info! I currently have a couple of dulcimers already,  a McSpadden Spruce/Cherry and a Clemmer Banjammer, but just curious about this one available near me.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 years ago
421 posts

Maybe it was made from a kit that was sold at the Dulcimer Shop (Cripple Creek Dulcimers) now located in Manitou Springs, Colorado.  It does, in fact, look very much like a starter dulcimer.  Without knowing who made it, etc., I would suggest you look at student dulcimers, made with great skill by Bill Berg or David Lynch.  I have a Bill Berg student dulcimer that is beautifully made and sounds great!  There's one for sale on eBay, but I think you can do better by calling him and telling him what you want and what you don't want.  The beginner dulcimer sells for $98.00 (that's the one I have--and it's VERY nice!) and you can get upgrades if you want them.

http://www.bergdulcimers.com/pricing.asp

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 years ago
421 posts

My Cripple Creek Dulcimer has those words on the side of the fretboard.  Overall, the workmanship on mine seems better, IMHO.

I think maybe if you click on the photo icon you can bring it up to a size where you can view it....

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 09/27/15 06:11:16PM
Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
6 years ago
55 posts

HI -

Yesterday I noticed on Ebay a dulcimer for sale near me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231696384520?euid=e47df9c1fe0a4671b96298f19eeaf86a&cp=1&exe=12808&ext=32575&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

I asked the seller if they know who the luthier is and what woods were used to make it. The seller replied that he did not recall the luthier or woods but bought this about 25 years ago in a instrument shop in Colorado Springs. He was a music teacher and has used it teaching all of these years since. I did some Googling and thinking that this might be a Cripple Creek dulcimer? Thoughts? Would this be considered a "starter" dulcimer? Thanks!

updated by @gale-a-barr: 09/28/15 12:51:23AM