Beginners books for pure diatonic - NO 1/2 frets

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
1,764 posts

Another source for beginner TAB for purely diatonic fretboards is my noter-drone blog. It offers 30 some tabs, not one of which uses a 6.5 fret.

You can do a 'tag' search on the right column in it to pull up the 32 posts which contain free TAB, and you'll get page 1 of those results here:

http://dulcimer-noter-drone.blogspot.com/search/label/noter-drone%20TAB

(click for "older posts" at bottom to see more posts that contain tab)

Each tab when you click on it will enlarge to page size and you just print it out. You can then make your own little binder or folder with them and work from it.

Of course, i kind of like to see the tabs accompanied by the playing and tuning tips and the song lore that I sometimes post along with each tab- makes it easier and more interesting than just looking at the tab alone. I guess you could print that out too and stick it in the binder next to each tab you choose. I don't mind folks doing this on an individual basis to use as a learning tool, just not mass-printing them to hand out in multiples like for dulcimer clubs or workshops.

You might want to pick a handful of the simpler beginner tabs to print out and organize for your friend, R.N. Hey, maybe they'll want to read the blog too if they get interested!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
1,460 posts

Ah Grasshopper, you begin to see wisdom in the ancient ways...

Parker Buckley
@parker-buckley
6 years ago
6 posts

Ken,

I've been enjoying the Michael Murphy book. I couldn't help but think of you when I read on page 46: "Many dulcimer makers put an extra fret between the sixth and seventh frets. If your finger board has an extra there or anywhere else, simply disregard it when the music is read. These extra frets destroy the dulcimer's unique modal character." Not much ambiguity there!

Ken Hulme said:

My all time favorite is Michael Murphy's The AppalachianDulcimer Book.

Parker Buckley
@parker-buckley
6 years ago
6 posts

It really is fun, isn't it? The songs are quicker to pick up, at least for me, and just a lot of fun to play. I've just started playing on a three string diatonic Dulcimer Works dulcimer built in Santa Monica, probably about the same time as your Capritaurus. It has some sort of friction pegs that look for all the world like tapered violin pegs from a short distance away.

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
451 posts

Thanks, Ken & Parker:

I've ordered 2 copies of the Michael Murphy book, one for the recipient and one for me since I didn't have it. I'll try to find the Hal Leonard book at the local music store. They stock some Hal Leonard books and may just have that one.

Parker, I know what you mean about being "disorienting" without the 6+. I've been playing an old Capritaurus (with pegs even, not gears) and it's been really fun trying to figure out how to play certain things. I guess I've been inspired by Robert Force's music (which I neglected in my formative dulcimer years) and I'm trying to catch up.

Ken, I actually got my noter out last week and was zinging away for a few tunes too. Fun FUN FUN!

Thanks guys

Robert

Parker Buckley
@parker-buckley
6 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for this tip, Ken. I've just ordered a copy. I've been playing out of Don Pedi's Bound to Have a Little Funwhich has been....well, fun! His finger style drone arrangements work really well with the noter. I just got an old, pure diatonic Dulcimer Works dulcimer; it's fun getting used to not having the 6+. It's actually a little disorienting at first!

Ken Hulme said:

Jean Ritchie's is indeed diatonic. My all time favorite is Michael Murphy's The AppalachianDulcimer Book.

Parker Buckley
@parker-buckley
6 years ago
6 posts

I've been searching for music books for noter play and picked up a copy of Hal Leonard Dulcimer Method by Neal Hellman for Beginning to Intermediate Players. Most songs in it are melody line only, and I don't see a 6+ anywhere. Even the drawing in the front is a diatonic dulcimer with no mention of + frets. He uses various tunings besides DAdd, such as DGdd, AAaa, DAcc, all well explained in terms of modes. Ooops, near the end, there is a four page section on using the 6+ fret. I think it would serve your purposes well.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
1,460 posts

Jean Ritchie's is indeed diatonic. My all time favorite is Michael Murphy's The AppalachianDulcimer Book.

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
451 posts

Folks,

I haven't looked at beginners books for the dulcimer in many years. Does anyone have any suggestions for instruction books which do NOT use 1/2 frets. I'm purchasing an instrument for a gift and it's pure diatonic. Though I can provide some "lessons," I'd like to include at least one book. I believe Jean Ritchie's is for diatonic; please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any others which any of you could recommend to me.

Thanks

Robert

updated by @rob-n-lackey: 06/11/15 07:28:32AM