Does anybody know specifics on Richard Farina's Hennessey dulcimer? And has any builders tried to build a dulcimer based on it?

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
5 years ago
447 posts

I'm sure you've seen http://issuu.com/dulcimerplayersnewsinc/docs/25.04.1999watermarked

which is also reproduced here in a more easy-to-read format http://www.richardandmimi.com/hennessy.html

That's all I know of that's been written about it.  The instrument is in the Smithsonian Institution where it is put away so that none can see it because of "space considerations."  I want none of my instruments to be put there when I'm either gone or incompetent.  The only instruments which should be given to them are ones that cannot be repaired enough to be playable. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 years ago
1,204 posts

Hennessy is still making instruments, so you might be able to contact him directly and get the exact specs. I know Wayne Jiang and Patricia Delich have been in touch with him recently for one of the Hearts of the Dulcimer podcasts.  See their episode # 5 where they discuss Fariña's dulcimer and his request for another from Hennessy with an even bigger box and a wider fretboard to make chording easier. He died before ever playing the new one.  But that means you have two sets of specs to discover!

Wayne and Patricia are both members here and are around and active. In fact, I saw them both last weekend in Berkeley. You can hear the podcasts on iTunes or directly from their website .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 10/09/15 12:27:32AM
Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
5 years ago
68 posts
Just curious if any one has tried to replicate Richard Farina's sapele/spruce Hennessey dulcimer? I really love the deep body and style.
updated by @stewart-mccormick: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM