Anyone familiar with Bob McGowan dulcimers?

Geckostar97
Geckostar97
@geckostar97
one week ago
13 posts
Strumelia, thank you for the nice welcome and the great ebay idea.

Carla, your Magowan dulcimers are beautiful, thank you for your kind response.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,819 posts

Geckostar, the way I get these kinds of wanted items is that I set up a 'saved search' on Ebay that will send me an email alert the moment something with my key words pops up for sale.  I've gotten very lucky using this method to get particular instruments I was hoping for, a couple of times!

BTW... welcome to FOTMD!  frog

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
one week ago
3 posts

Geckostar97:

Hi everyone. This is my first post here in FOTMD but I sure am having fun so far.  I have recently seen some photos of some beautiful dulcimers built by Bob McGowan. Is anyone familiar with his work or even own one of his instruments?  I think he lived in the Memphis, TN area somewhat recently.  Does anyone know if he is stilling building dulcimers?

Hi Geckostar97, I have two Bob Magowan mountain dulcimers that I play regularly (a baritone chromatic dulcimer and a non-chromatic standard style), and my husband has a Magowan "jocimer" (banjo/dulcimer). We love these instruments! If you get a chance, get yourself a Magowan instrument and enjoy! happys 

Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.49.25 pm.png Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.49.52 pm.png Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.51.13 pm.png

Geckostar97
Geckostar97
@geckostar97
one month ago
13 posts
Thanks for the info. If Bob has retired, I’ll just keep saving my nickels and hope I run across someone who is willing to part with one.
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
one month ago
134 posts

It seems sometime last year, Bob got to the last person on his list (a friend of mine) and offered her the chance to buy his last built dulcimer. So unless things have changed, I think he has retired. I have heard that his dulcimers sound wonderful, rich and full.

Geckostar97
Geckostar97
@geckostar97
one month ago
13 posts
Marc-Matthieu, thank you very much and I would appreciate it if you could try to contact Bob. I Imagine your McGowans are incredible with those wood combos. I heard a small sound sample of one of his dulcimers and it was terrific.
Marc Mathieu
Marc Mathieu
@marc-mathieu
one month ago
26 posts

Hi Gekostar97. Although I haven't been in touch or seen Bob for several years now, I know him personally. We use to meet at MD Week in Cullowhee, NC.  I own 2 of his dulcimers - 1 Standard All-Koa  & 1 Baritone Walnut & Redwood. My brother also own 2 of his dulcimers. Bob is very meticulous & crafts beautiful & well-built instruments. For a while, he had a very long waiting list for his instruments ->2 yrs+. I've never seen and probably will never see one of his instrument on E-bay or similar marketplace sites.  Last I heard, he still lives in Memphis but seems like he stopped building dulcimers. I could try contacting Bob & get back to you.  

updated by @marc-mathieu: 07/12/18 09:10:46PM
Geckostar97
Geckostar97
@geckostar97
one month ago
13 posts

Hi everyone. This is my first post here in FOTMD but I sure am having fun so far.  I have recently seen some photos of some beautiful dulcimers built by Bob McGowan. Is anyone familiar with his work or even own one of his instruments?  I think he lived in the Memphis, TN area somewhat recently.  Does anyone know if he is stilling building dulcimers?