Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,255 posts

Geckostar, the way I get these kinds of wanted items is that I set up a 'saved search' on Ebay that will send me an email alert the moment something with my key words pops up for sale.  I've gotten very lucky using this method to get particular instruments I was hoping for, a couple of times!

BTW... welcome to FOTMD!  frog

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
6 years ago
13 posts

Geckostar97:

Hi everyone. This is my first post here in FOTMD but I sure am having fun so far.  I have recently seen some photos of some beautiful dulcimers built by Bob McGowan. Is anyone familiar with his work or even own one of his instruments?  I think he lived in the Memphis, TN area somewhat recently.  Does anyone know if he is stilling building dulcimers?

Hi Geckostar97, I have two Bob Magowan mountain dulcimers that I play regularly (a baritone chromatic dulcimer and a non-chromatic standard style), and my husband has a Magowan "jocimer" (banjo/dulcimer). We love these instruments! If you get a chance, get yourself a Magowan instrument and enjoy! happys  

Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.49.25 pm.png  Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.49.52 pm.png  Screen Shot 20180808 at 10.51.13 pm.png

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
6 years ago
139 posts

It seems sometime last year, Bob got to the last person on his list (a friend of mine) and offered her the chance to buy his last built dulcimer. So unless things have changed, I think he has retired. I have heard that his dulcimers sound wonderful, rich and full.