Things to do with Prichard and his dulcimers

Clockdr
Clockdr
@clockdr
2 weeks ago
10 posts

I was reading Ralph Lee Smith's book last night trying to see what he had written himself about Prichard. The part where he found a Prichard dulcimer with a complete label intrigued me, because I don't remember seeing anything about what happened to that one. Does anybody know who owns it now or if it's in a museum?

In other news, I've asked several libraries to contact me regarding Prichard's publication, "The Cricket", to see if perhaps he inserted ads for his own instruments. Good Friday-Easter weekend is not a good time to connect with anyone, never mind during COVID. We'll have to wait to see if I can find someplace that has copies. If they're on microfilm I'll go to WV (I expect) and see what I can find.

Clockdr
Clockdr
@clockdr
2 weeks ago
10 posts

Has anyone tried to work with something like Google Docs, Google Sheets or Google Photos for a group on FOTMD? Can we set up a way for any of us to contribute to a compilation of information? Maybe that wouldn't be a good idea, maybe it would just invite spammers - I've no idea. If it's not a good idea, I can volunteer to put any and all submitted information together and make it available through my DrobBox as well as post a readable version here. This way of sharing things on line is new to me, so if anyone knows how best to do it (or what not to do) or has a suggestion please let me know. 

Clockdr
Clockdr
@clockdr
2 weeks ago
10 posts

Ken, I was thinking the same thing about the Cricket and potential ads. (I'd say that great minds think alike, but that would denigrate *you*! LOL) It would make a lot of sense if he advertised his own instruments there. I'm going to sic the University of KY Reference Librarians onto this - they always tell me that they enjoy a challenge (!) - but I'm close enough to Huntington that I can always slip over the KY/WV border and see if I can find a sympathetic librarian in Huntington. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
768 posts

What we don't know for sure is whether they worked together in building dulcimers. Was John one of the builders of The American Dulcimer or did they work separately. I think they lived close enough to each other to have worked together. I visited C.N.'s gravesite, but have not spent any other time in Huntington, WV. It would be interesting find a copy of The Cricket, C.N.'s advertising newspaper and see if the ran ads for his instruments. Also, we don't know how he sold them. Was it through a music store, mail order, or what? I would enjoy poking around Huntington see if I could find any info on him.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 weeks ago
147 posts

Interesting topic. I look forward to the historical information.

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 weeks ago
126 posts

We know both Charles and his brother John made them.

Clockdr
Clockdr
@clockdr
2 weeks ago
10 posts

It appears as though there's questions about what it and what isn't a real Prichard dulcimer, and there's very little information about the maker known. This discussion section could be used as a place for discussion, to compare features of authenticated and potentially authentic Prichard dulcimers as well as a place to add information about other instruments and Prichard. For myself, I'm going to try to add mostly primary sources (things I've observed myself) and secondary sources (things that another person has documented in person). Some third-party information is inevitable - some information might be anecdotal. Let's see what turns up and include it here.