cyndi spear-duncan
cyndi spear-duncan
@cyndi-spear-duncan
8 years ago
27 posts

thank you. I learned the hard way on lowering action. My first dulcimer was intended to be played with a noter. everyone kept telling me to have the action lowered. so, I sent it to the luthier and he lowered the action and replaced the nut....now its just a beautiful decoration. I do love my Clemmer though.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
1,647 posts

Cyndi - you might want to read my Blog article called I Just Got A Dulcimer - Now What? It's an illustrated glossary plus information on tuning, playing, care and feeding of the dulcimer.

cyndi spear-duncan
cyndi spear-duncan
@cyndi-spear-duncan
8 years ago
27 posts
Thank you. I really don't know a lot of technical things about the dulcimer. I've been playing for a year. I just know I enjoy it. I keep my Clemmer tuned to DAD, but sometimes its fun to play DAA..and some of our club's Christmas music is DAC. I guess that makes me lazy, I don't want to keep tuning up and down other than to stay IN tune. Thanks again.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
1,647 posts

Hi Cindi - type of strings has nothing to do with make or tone of dulcimer. You need to know the VSL(25", 27", 29") and the keynote you want to tune to (C, D,G etc), Buy dulcimer strings unless you can't find them, In general any set of strings with .010 to .012 melody and middle drones and a .020 to .024 wound bass string will do just fine for most average VSLs and tunings.

cyndi spear-duncan
cyndi spear-duncan
@cyndi-spear-duncan
8 years ago
27 posts
I just purchased a used 1994 Folkcraft Cherry teardrop dulcimer on ebay. The strings would appear to be quite old..really dirty and floppy. Should I just replace them with new dulcimer strings or banjo strings? My primary instrument is a Clemmer and is a deeper tone and has banjo strings.
updated by @cyndi-spear-duncan: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM