Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,246 posts

Here's a link to one of my blog posts that might be helpful in figuring out how to tune your dulcimer:
https://dulcimer-noter-drone.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-notes-do-i-tune-my-strings-to.html

In the blog post there's a link to a real online keyboard where you can HEAR the notes D3 and D4 for example. You'll want to e sure to tune to the notes in the correct octave so you don't break your string.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

Venni, how to start will depend on a few things, most notably whether you have any experience playing music.

I would suggest you start by tuning to either DAA or DAd (check out Get Tuned for help) and then just trying to pick out melodies on the melody string (the string closest to you when you lay the instrument on your lap.

And yes, the Beginner Group that Robin points you to is the place to start here at FOTMD.

There is tons of beginner stuff available here at FOTMD and elsewhere online, and there are also lots of beginner instruction books available.  If you want formal lessons to help you get started, there are lots of folk who give lessons via Zoom or similar platforms. But nothing can beat just exploring the instrument on your own and watching lots of videos of other people playing.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,246 posts

Good advice Robin. Venni, do join the group (you have to click the button there to "join" ...and then you'll be able to read all the complete discussions and post yourself.
Lots of helpful FOTMD members can guide you in the Beginner's Group, and you can ask all the questions you want there!  nod

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Vinni, you can join the group for beginners-- there is a lot of information there.  Here is a link: 

https://fotmd.com/strumelia/group/1/beginner-players