The Drifting Thread...

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
one month ago
61 posts

So sorry that  you've lost your partner in life, after such along and wonderful time together. Take care.

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
one month ago
19 posts

What a wonderful video, Irene. I don't know you or Tomasi, but it brought a tear to my eyes. So nice for you to have that memory for the rest of your life. Thank you for sharing.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
one month ago
183 posts

I just finished reading many of your posts and photo's on some other sites and I feel like I have gotten to know Tomasi and you so much better.  What an amazing life you shared with so many wonderful children.... Log houses, beautiful instruments and that wonderful Christmas carving!   I pray that your heart will be healed of it's hurt and whatever pain and sense of loss you feel give way. May the warmth of the Tongan sun and happy precious memories sustain you until you meet again.

Hobbyhorse
Hobbyhorse
@hobbyhorse
one month ago
13 posts

Thanks for sharing your video Irene ...God Bless.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
1,060 posts

The video of you and Tomasi singing together is priceless, Irene.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
one month ago
25 posts

Irene, please know I'm thinking about you. To lose someone you shared your life with for 55 years has to be truly hard. I hope some of your children live close by. Thanks for sharing the love song you and Tomasi sang all of those years, and that wonderful photo.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
1,768 posts

Irene;  so sorry to hear Tomasi has gone ahead.  Aloha 'oe Tomas!

AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
one month ago
27 posts

Dearest Irene:

I am so sorry to read of your lost.  I am remembering you in my prayers.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
667 posts

Beautiful Irene. I'm glad you are able to share it with us.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
449 posts

That's a lovely photo, Irene, and I'm so glad you have it.  Those windows you're standing in front of are gorgeous, too--where was that?

My mom was a lot like Tomasi.  She loved to learn new information and was the Scrabble champ in our family.  She read a lot and kept a notebook by her chair in the living room.  She never learned to use a computer and there weren't any computers in the house. But whenever she came across some new information that interested her, she'd write the facts in her notebook.  One section was for words new to her, with a note or a quote next to it.  She kept on ongoing list of all the winners of the Kentucky Derby (which she actually got to see once), a list of types of boats according to size, an ongoing list of Presidents and who they'd run against, etc.  She was a writer too:  poetry, novellas, cookbooks (many!), memoirs, and studies of various books of the Bible--all of it handwritten in her neat small script.  In later years she switched to printing everything because cursive writing was no longer taught in most schools.  She didn't want her life's work lost to future generations. When someone wanted a copy of something she'd written, she get out fresh paper and a ball point pen and start writing...

Thanks for sharing your Tomasi with us!  When you feel like sharing more, please do!  

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
one month ago
162 posts

Tomasi and Irene's Tongan love song

This is the last time we performed this love song we've been singing for over 55 years.   In this link it was at Helen's house in Waimea, Big Island on 8 March 2020.  We had spent 4 weeks on the Big Island.  (note, I have a little tall mirror that is next to the window Strumelia and in back of me is Tomasi's photo when he was 23.   Yes, Good Karma!!!)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,809 posts

What a lovely photo!

Irene, I'm glad you have moved your workspace close to the window, where your husband used to work. It's good karma - windows and light are so good for our souls. It's a positive connection and he would have approved!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
one month ago
162 posts

Tomasi and Irene.jpg Here is my sweetheart 6 months ago.   Yeah, my son Bob is here to teach me how to post pictures.    aloha, irene

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
one month ago
162 posts

All day long I was going through Tomasi's writings and stuffs he "was a gonna write someday"....and soooooooo many papers of his scrabble words he was always learning and writing them down.   He was a scrabble champ in this house and all the kids play Scrabble with him.  2 days before he died, he played scrabble on the hospital bed with two of our grown kids.....and won.  Ha, Shakespeare will have a challenge with Tomasi I'm sure!!!

I know if I keep busy, I'll not be crying around....and while the computer son is here, I switched over to Tomasi's side of the desk we made and his side has a window to look out of.  All set up, yet only 4 more drawers to go.   I'm giving genealogy to some, writings to others....

As most days, I save the best till last, looking on this site and this night being soooooooooooooooo thankful for all your writings to me.   Truely, I am comforted.  Love the poem....needed that tonight. NOW gonna play some music on the dulcimer and not worry about waking anyone up.....

aloha, irene

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
one month ago
63 posts
Irene, this is for you.....
Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
one month ago
63 posts
Irene, I am so very sorry for your loss...
I pray you find comfort during this difficult time.
Hold tight to your precious memories ❤️
marg
@marg
one month ago
557 posts

Irene,

I am so sorry for your loss, we are all here for you and sending thoughts, prayers and hugs to you and the family. 

Bob
Bob
@bob
one month ago
98 posts

Irene, my heart goes out to you at such a loss. May you and all your family find peace and consolation, even in such sorrowful times.

With prayers, Bob

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one month ago
1,289 posts

@Irene, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  Please know you have my deepest condolances.  May family, friends and sweet music help you through.  I know this is certainly a tough time to lose a loved one. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
449 posts

Irene, my condolences to you and your family on the death of your beloved.  It sounds like your family is close; I hope you'll be able to find comfort in your shared memories.  Thank you for your kind words about FOTMD.  Know that when you think of us, the FOTMD "family" is also thinking of you and your family.  Blessings, Jan

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,809 posts

Irene, all of us here on fotmd care about you, and we send gentle hugs right now.  

--
Site Owner

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
one month ago
162 posts

Thank you all for your words of comfort here.   Really, for several years now, this is the last site I look at before I go to bed....and your words are dear to me.   aloha, irene

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
667 posts

Irene, the death of a loved one is never easy. After 55 years there will be many times in the years ahead where you will want to share something with him and he won't be there. These moments are painful but also an opportunity to be a blessing as you remember the wonderful life you had together. My your memories of you husband be a blessing to you and your daughters. My sympathy goes out to all of you.

Ken

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
one month ago
26 posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Mary Gwynn Keller
Mary Gwynn Keller
@mary-gwynn-keller
one month ago
1 posts

So Sorry IRENE,  I remember playing with you and your husband at Lonnie's workshop several years ago.  He was a sweet man.  glad I got to see you at the village last summer.  Maybe we will meet again next year at the cabin.  I know It's hard but you have so many memory's to feast on.  Did you know that I live about 15 miles west of you, just a big river and and a few hills away. Love and prayers for you and your family.....Mary Keller

dulcinina
@dulcinina
one month ago
74 posts

I am so sorry, Irene. May you find comfort in those you love and who love you and the memories you've built over the years.

Nina

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,809 posts

Oh Irene, I'm so very sorry to hear this. May you and your family find comfort in being together during this time. 

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
1,060 posts

Irene, I offer my deepest sympathy to you and your dearest ones.  As John K wrote about, there are others of us who know about the sense of numbness and unreality which can set in.  I send my warmest wishes for comfort for you all.  

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 07/02/20 10:12:43AM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
one month ago
141 posts

So sorry for your loss, Irene. May God continue to comfort you and your family.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
one month ago
220 posts

So sorry for you, Irene, at the loss of your beloved husband of so many years.  It's good that 5 of your daughters were there at such a trying time for you all.  May God comfort you and your family, and give you clarity of thought in the days to come.  I know myself about the sense of numbness and unreality that sets in at such a time.  It's not easy, but it will get better in time.  Aloha.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one month ago
129 posts

So sorry Irene for your loss. Will keep you in prayer.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
one month ago
162 posts

Not knowing where to put my "day of yesterday".....I'll put it on "the drifting thread".  Reading about "keyboards"....Yesterday, My sweetheart of 55 years passed away.   3 weeks of pain and he's gone.  I had 5 of our 7 daughters with me, 4 were in the living room beside his hospice bed.   We sang "Aloha 'Oe" and Nearer my God to Thee and had prayers.  All else is a dream.   I wanted those that will meet in Berea, Kentucky next year to have heard his awesome Autoharp skills....but alas.....not to be.  I come to this site daily and I'm so grateful for all I learn and laugh and think about.   I'm grateful that I got orders for 4 instruments 4 weeks ago.   I'm grateful for all you teach me here.   You have no idea.  Aloha, irene

dulcinina
@dulcinina
one month ago
74 posts

I'll jump in here.  When I needed a new computer, I was debating the issue of a lighted keyboard. Having never had one, I thought it was an unnecessary luxury.  Well, I got it and it is wonderful.  Even though I also have a good desk lamp, the lighted keyboard is still so nice to have. Nina 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,809 posts

I thought that most keyboards are lighted?- if so, isn't one of your oodles of new ones lighted that you could use, then?

--
Site Owner

Sam
Sam
@sam
one month ago
173 posts

Oh I have oodles of keyboards (new) and mouseseseses ... both USB and wireless. I was just thinking that a lighted one might be useful.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,809 posts

Sam, we spend a lot of time on our devices especially now during the virus times.  I'm all for getting reasonable things now and then to make our stay-at-home lifestye more comfortable, productive, or fun. I say get yourself a nice new keyboard!  Besides, it's good to have a spare working backup keyboard in the closet in case your usual one fails. (don't ask how I learned this lesson...shudder) Keyboards take a lot of wear and tear and they don't last as long as computers. They're like shoes- it gets to a point where a shoe may still be wearable but it's all beat up and gross. Like with shoes, often one doesn't notice how beat up their keyboard actually is until they get a new replacement.

The last keyboard I actually purchased was a fancy expensive Surface fingerprint bluetooth keyboard back in Sept when I got my new little Dell 13" laptop.  I only use the fancy Surface one when I'm working, because I need the larger size, numbers pad, and other features while working. The one thing it lacks though is a lighted keys option (as my laptop has)... seems silly and annoying to not have lighting at that price, but I usually have a strong desk light while working so it is not as essential for my particular situation. But YOU obviously need a lighted option!

--
Site Owner

Sam
Sam
@sam
2 months ago
173 posts

I've been very tempted to buy one of the lighted keyboards. I'm usually on my PC early morning and I like the darkness and watching dawn fade in. I'm thinking I could turn off the desk lamp if the keyboard was lighted. They're not that expensive, maybe I'll remember to get one ordered.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,809 posts

Thanks Ken, that's a good comparison!  It's actually really nice to not have that gross old keyboard over there to the side of my desk anymore.  I had stopped noticing it ...until i had to use it again today.  ;)
Dusty- I'm fairly well organized, though I certainly don't remember everything.  alienabduct

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
1,289 posts

Strumelia, I'm impressed not only that you bought an extra keyboard, but that you remembered where it was. Impressive!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
667 posts

Nice story Lisa. It's like putting new strings on your dulcimer.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,809 posts

Drifting thread... tumbleweed

Last September I got a new windows 10 laptop which is what I do my work/job on and everything else now. But I still have my sturdy old windows 7 tower desktop all set up next to it, to use only as an emergency backup for working in case my laptop conks out. (I don't use the win7 for going online anymore).

Today i fired it up as i do once in a while to get a few updates and make a fresh backup of it- good to check that it's still working fine. It gives me a sense of security having it there in working order, just in case.  coffee2
But the 8 year old wireless keyboard was becoming unusable- not just all the gross dirt and grunge (doubtless an entire loaf of toast crumbs inside there somewhere), but the actual white letters had been wearing off the black keys for years now- I had taped little square paper bits with hand written letters over several keys one by one, but now there were more and more letters worn off.  I always have to look while typing, so this was getting silly.

I remembered that I had liked that keyboard so much when i first bought it 8 yrs ago that I had bought a spare one on sale and squirreled it away, unopened.  !  So, I dug it out and it was all pristine and new... sweeeeet!  But I hadnt realized that it came with two AAA batteries pre-installed, and when i took them out the battery ends were all corroded.  I put in new batteries but the keyboard wasn't working. Oh no!  So then I tried cleaning out the chalky gunked up contact points inside there with a qtip and alcohol.  And then... it sprang to life!!

I always forget how nice a new keyboard feels (even an old style one), and how it can psychologically rejuvenate an entire computer setup. Such a pleasure now to do a little typing there and check on things, open programs and play a game of solitaire for old times' sake on the clackety but satisfying keys while I'm backing up.  Heck, it even inspired me to clean all the dust and cat fur off the old but still perfectly great monitor. Now it all looks like a new workstation, and it felt like I did something kind for my old workhorse that's now 'out to pasture'.  And best of all it didn't cost anything- the exact keyboard replacement was already sitting there in the closet for years untouched, waiting for its moment to shine!  
Good vibes.  flower

--
Site Owner

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
3 months ago
10 posts

Dusty and Ken thank you both so much for responding to my questions you have given me just the information I needed.        I can now carry on with the project I had in mind.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,768 posts

Well, the Big Sandy and Little Sandy rivers of Kentucky are tributaries of the Ohio River, and there have been steamboat routes up and down them since the early 1850s.  There have been any number of steamboats called the Sandy River Belle, and I've seen photographs of at least one of them from about the time of the Civil War. 

There is a moderately believable story, naming names of the people involved, who say that the fiddle tune Sandy River Belle was wordless until 1927 when a record was cut of the tune.  Apparently the producer wanted some words, and one of the band folk cobbled together a sort of chorus, not really lyrics, that was sung in place of some of the original instrumental breaks. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,289 posts

Alan, the Library of Congress speculates that the tune might have been named for a steamboat.  See  https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000166/

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
3 months ago
10 posts

Hi all first I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Second I have questions to ask of you knowledgeable people.

Does anyone know the origin of the tune “Sandy River Belle”,  or can anyone tell me for sure what the name of the tune refers to? I have an idea what it is about but I would like my thoughts confirmed before I continue with a project I have in mind.

My apologies if I have posted in the wrong spot but this is such a random question.

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
5 months ago
29 posts

In Pittsburgh PA, we have the Dormont Corona Choir! You can enter Dormont Corona Choir in Google and read articles and hear them. A touch of genius is some are waving toilet paper flags! 

Barb, blackdogbess

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 months ago
177 posts

Italy's singing from windows has inspired people on our local NextDoor neighborhood site to begin singing from porches at 6 p.m.  I posted that our neighborhood is all acreage & I'm high atop a Bunny Slope of a hill so it didn't seem practical for me.  Suggestions were made & I decided to try it today.

Today the song was Sweet Caroline.  DRAT!  Yesterday's Amazing Grace I know sooooo much better & could use my dulcimer.  Only found guitar tabs & went on YouTube since I wasn't too sure beyond the chorus.  Found Neil Diamond has changed the lyrics slightly for Covid-19 to "hands, washin' hands; don't touch me; I won't touch you." 

How did it go?

No other driveways had singers (or anyone in sight), but I started anyway.  Along came a jogging couple.  She smiled & waved & I did, too.  They kept jogging (not necessarily a review on my playing & singing, but freely confess I came darned near tears & became slightly choked up at times -- hey, I'm a storyteller, not a musician, even when I include music in my programs.

LoiS(inging at 6, but hope for a longer Heads Up on tomorrow's song) or LoiS(urely we can't let Italians be the only ones singing!)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,809 posts

Wow, I just found a wonderful site with amazing stories on objects and subjects of all kinds:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/

and here's a wonderful story there about an ornate piano once owned by royalty, that was found encased in plaster and buried on a battlefield after WWII...
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/lost-wwii-piano

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,289 posts

That's a cool pick box, @Bob-Reinsel, but it wouldn't stop me from losing them. I have a little bag, like a coin purse type of thing that one of my dulcimer students brought back from Guatemala.  It holds my new picks, which I buy by the dozen.  Whenever I've lost all the loose ones floating around, I dig into that little bag.

All she found, @Strumelia, was a single, solitary quarter.  She was indeed very disappointed, especially since our neighbors who travel a lot and pay her to take care of their chickens and rabbits in their absence, are staying home these days, so her main source of income has dried up.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,809 posts

Dusty Turtle:

My daughter cleaned the living room sofa today.  She found 9 guitar picks. WOOPS! 

She was probably disgusted that it wasn't money. (as I would be)

--
Site Owner

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
5 months ago
75 posts

Bonus!

My son made this pick box for me after a similar discovery last week: Guitar Pick Box

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake

updated by @bob-reinsel: 03/24/20 06:26:17AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,289 posts

My daughter cleaned the living room sofa today.  She found 9 guitar picks. WOOPS! 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 months ago
449 posts

Me, too, Robin.  We have several Aussies on here.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
1,060 posts

I am thinking of our Australian friends. .  . 

--
Robin T
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 months ago
183 posts

Yes, I have most of that and ID theft is the one that caught it.  It appears that the passwords that were swiped were encoded.  From what I can tell the breach may have come via an email I got from an online order...........I have run Norton full system scan and deleted every old email I have gotten............I do know that one company had their customer base hacked..........so I suppose that is a possibility too.  I am running a vpn and will use a password generator.  I do not use the same password on any account I have.........

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 months ago
183 posts

Just a reminder for people to run their security computer software.  My security software notified me that my accounts and passwords were swiped by some scoundrel and I had to spend the day changing them and removing things that I had saved...'tis the season...........so be on the lookout for all sorts a crooks out there. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,768 posts

Too bad we're the whole country apart!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
10 months ago
1,289 posts

Ken, I wish I had the time to juice all these pomegranates.  The trees are really bursting this year and we can't possibly consume them all.  

I have too many limes as well right now.  For some reason our Meyers lemons ripen in the winter but the limes peaked a couple of weeks ago.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 10/21/19 02:17:25AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,768 posts

How many gallons of juice have you frozen??

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
10 months ago
1,289 posts

If anyone wants some pomegranates, my trees are producing more than we could ever use.  Just swing on by, play a few tunes, and take some with you when you leave!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 months ago
449 posts

And you can save the cooled paraffin and reuse it, right?  You don't have to keep buying the new stuff all the time for every treatment...right?

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
11 months ago
183 posts

Phroedrick..........I'm glad that paraffin dip has helped.  I thought it might and I was wondering if you gave it a try.  I know that some of the Bansuri players I spoke with about hand pain always recommended it since the finger stretch required on some flutes in considerable and can often be painful until the tendons adjust.  Some of them also used Tumeric capsules in conjunction with it since that spice works well to curb inflammation. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
11 months ago
1,289 posts

Sam: Dusty I found that in a shop in Charleston (WV). It's what I'm using now. I really do like it. Hope the hand is soon all healed.

Thanks,  @Sam.  I learned about Howard Feed N Wax from Bing Futch. It does miracles on older dulcimers without a lacquer finish.

Phroedrick: One thing that helps every time is a paraffin dip. The relief lasts for varying times, depending on some set of variables hidden somewhere in the universe.

Thanks for the tip, @Phroedrick.  I am still hopeful that what I'm experiencing is not arthritis crossfingers . Ever since I discovered the dulcimer and realized that playing it could provide enjoyment the rest of my life, I've had a deep-seated fear that I would develop arthritis, ruining my plan.  The pain I'm experiencing is not associated with a joint, and I'm hoping that I just tweaked some tendons or ligaments in my hand and because I've kept playing through the pain it never had a chance to heal.  Still, your advice of a paraffin dip sounds interesting and I'll definitely give it a try if I don't get some relief in a few days of rest.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Sam
Sam
@sam
11 months ago
173 posts

Dusty I found that in a shop in Charleston (WV). It's what I'm using now. I really do like it. Hope the hand is soon all healed.

--
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
11 months ago
1,289 posts

I've been feeling minor (and hopefully short-lived crossfingers ) pain in my fretting hand recently which has not gone away, so I decided it needs some downtime to heal.  I've taken this moment to do some maintenance on my instruments.  I took the strings off two dulcimers today and treated them with some Howard Feed N Wax.  In a little bit I'll wipe 'em down again and put new strings on.  Tomorrow I'll tackle another couple of instruments.  Maybe I'll get really ambitious and put new strings on the 12-string guitar.  I might even tune up the autoharp. 

Gotta take care of the instruments if we want them to take care of us.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
11 months ago
183 posts

A great video and tribute to Jennifer Ranger.  I only heard her play and yodel a few times on youtube, but I could tell she had a great spirit............I think the world is a bit darker without her, but Glory a bit brighter.

https://www.monroviaweekly.com/obituaries/monrovia-sounds-a-little-less-cheerful-without-jennifer-rangers-music/

Sam
Sam
@sam
11 months ago
173 posts

So sorry to hear of her passing. Tender mercies to family and friends. 

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
11 months ago
1,809 posts

So sad to hear of this. Jennifer had such a creative and upbeat way of sharing her music.  She'll be much missed... I'm so sorry she is gone.  But she'll definitely not be forgotten.

--
Site Owner

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
11 months ago
183 posts

Another sad loss and another voice to remember should we choose to set aside one day a year to celebrate the sound of joy that so many have given their friends, family and communities.   Thank you Ken for the post........

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
11 months ago
449 posts

Thanks for letting us know about Jennifer's death.  I really like Kattywhompus--a fun group of talented musicians.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
11 months ago
1,289 posts

Thanks for sharing that sad news, Ken.  Some of those Friday night concerts were streamed live and I remember watching a few.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 months ago
1,768 posts

I saw that too, Ken.  Sad to hear that Jennifer has passed.  She was a vital part of downtown Monrovia, and will be sorely missed.

I made her a dulcimer once upon  time...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 months ago
667 posts

I was not sure where to post this, but here it is. Some of you may be familiar with the Kattywompus String Band in Monrovia, CA. They play every Friday night in front of the The Dollmaker store in Monrovia from about 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. I played with the band once when visiting our son in the Los Angeles area. Jennifer Ranger was the force behind the band which consists of her relatives. Jennifer taught music at the store where she sold dulcimers and other instruments. She was an excellent hammered dulcimer player. An advocate for the Monrovia community, Jennifer promoted acoustic music and the businesses in downtown Monrovia. Jennifer died yesterday and will be missed by many. I trust her energy and spirit will continue to be found in those who knew her and played music with her.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 09/24/19 10:11:21PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
11 months ago
1,809 posts

drifting thread....

You know you're getting old when Garbage Day becomes a 'red letter day' of your week.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,809 posts

Hi everyone!  FOTMD is celebrating its 10th year anniversary by hosting the free

Pickled Dulcimer Contest! Guess the winning number and win prizes!  Five winners will be announced on August 1st.

Submit your guess in the contest thread, and good luck!:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/off-topic-discussions/35052/enter-fotmds-10th-birthday-pickled-dulcimer-contest#r35070

--
Site Owner

/ 5