The Drifting Thread...

Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
2 weeks ago
50 posts

The directions recommend peeling off the old paraffin after it cools and tossing it. Each use doesn’t require a lot of the stuff, so it lasts quite awhile. I don’t see any reason you can’t just toss it back in, and I do that sometimes. I think they recommended tossing to satisfy their insurance company and legal department.

I don’t buy the boutique packaged stuff. I use paraffin from the market. Works the same, is food grade and loads cheaper.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 weeks ago
443 posts

And you can save the cooled paraffin and reuse it, right?  You don't have to keep buying the new stuff all the time for every treatment...right?

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 weeks ago
153 posts

Phroedrick..........I'm glad that paraffin dip has helped.  I thought it might and I was wondering if you gave it a try.  I know that some of the Bansuri players I spoke with about hand pain always recommended it since the finger stretch required on some flutes in considerable and can often be painful until the tendons adjust.  Some of them also used Tumeric capsules in conjunction with it since that spice works well to curb inflammation. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,138 posts

Sam: Dusty I found that in a shop in Charleston (WV). It's what I'm using now. I really do like it. Hope the hand is soon all healed.

Thanks,  @Sam.  I learned about Howard Feed N Wax from Bing Futch. It does miracles on older dulcimers without a lacquer finish.

Phroedrick: One thing that helps every time is a paraffin dip. The relief lasts for varying times, depending on some set of variables hidden somewhere in the universe.

Thanks for the tip, @Phroedrick.  I am still hopeful that what I'm experiencing is not arthritis crossfingers . Ever since I discovered the dulcimer and realized that playing it could provide enjoyment the rest of my life, I've had a deep-seated fear that I would develop arthritis, ruining my plan.  The pain I'm experiencing is not associated with a joint, and I'm hoping that I just tweaked some tendons or ligaments in my hand and because I've kept playing through the pain it never had a chance to heal.  Still, your advice of a paraffin dip sounds interesting and I'll definitely give it a try if I don't get some relief in a few days of rest.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
2 weeks ago
50 posts

Getting older is so very much fun. I have “seasonal” arthritis in my wrists, base of the thumbs, and tried several things. One thing that helps every time is a paraffin dip. The relief lasts for varying times, depending on some set of variables hidden somewhere in the universe.

I looked at several units and bought one at Bed Bath, a Homedics for $39. Three things going for it are 1) it works every time, perfectly. 2) It is one of the least expensive. 3) It is very well made. The unit liquifies paraffin—about 130 degrees F, perfect for paraffin dips. If you find that a bit too warm, turn the unit off for 10 minutes before dipping you hand into the paraffin.

While some brands have a temperature control that adds another $40 or so to the price, the 130 degrees of the Homedic is neither too hot, nor too cool. Some reviews I read were from unhappy people who got minor heat irritation from “soaking” their hands in the melted paraffin. You don’t soak in the stuff; you dip your hand in and quickly remove it. Repeat twice more, put it in one of the supplied bags and let it cool. When I ran out of the initial supply of bags, I started using empty produce bags. They work as well and are free.

A paraffin dip gives nice, warm, moist heat. You don’t have to use lanolin lotion either, as the cool wax just peels right off. Paraffin refills are expensive, so I use the stuff available in blocks at the market. Same stuff used for canning jams and such. It’s about 1/3 the price of paraffin packaged like a boutique item. The warm, moist heat has been great. Maybe that can help with your hand.

updated by @phroedrick: 10/03/19 01:03:08PM
Sam
Sam
@sam
2 weeks ago
176 posts

Dusty I found that in a shop in Charleston (WV). It's what I'm using now. I really do like it. Hope the hand is soon all healed.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,138 posts

I've been feeling minor (and hopefully short-lived crossfingers ) pain in my fretting hand recently which has not gone away, so I decided it needs some downtime to heal.  I've taken this moment to do some maintenance on my instruments.  I took the strings off two dulcimers today and treated them with some Howard Feed N Wax.  In a little bit I'll wipe 'em down again and put new strings on.  Tomorrow I'll tackle another couple of instruments.  Maybe I'll get really ambitious and put new strings on the 12-string guitar.  I might even tune up the autoharp. 

Gotta take care of the instruments if we want them to take care of us.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
153 posts

A great video and tribute to Jennifer Ranger.  I only heard her play and yodel a few times on youtube, but I could tell she had a great spirit............I think the world is a bit darker without her, but Glory a bit brighter.

https://www.monroviaweekly.com/obituaries/monrovia-sounds-a-little-less-cheerful-without-jennifer-rangers-music/

Sam
Sam
@sam
3 weeks ago
176 posts

So sorry to hear of her passing. Tender mercies to family and friends. 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,687 posts

So sad to hear of this. Jennifer had such a creative and upbeat way of sharing her music.  She'll be much missed... I'm so sorry she is gone.  But she'll definitely not be forgotten.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
153 posts

Another sad loss and another voice to remember should we choose to set aside one day a year to celebrate the sound of joy that so many have given their friends, family and communities.   Thank you Ken for the post........

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 weeks ago
443 posts

Thanks for letting us know about Jennifer's death.  I really like Kattywhompus--a fun group of talented musicians.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 weeks ago
1,138 posts

Thanks for sharing that sad news, Ken.  Some of those Friday night concerts were streamed live and I remember watching a few.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,627 posts

I saw that too, Ken.  Sad to hear that Jennifer has passed.  She was a vital part of downtown Monrovia, and will be sorely missed.

I made her a dulcimer once upon  time...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 weeks ago
609 posts

I was not sure where to post this, but here it is. Some of you may be familiar with the Kattywompus String Band in Monrovia, CA. They play every Friday night in front of the The Dollmaker store in Monrovia from about 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. I played with the band once when visiting our son in the Los Angeles area. Jennifer Ranger was the force behind the band which consists of her relatives. Jennifer taught music at the store where she sold dulcimers and other instruments. She was an excellent hammered dulcimer player. An advocate for the Monrovia community, Jennifer promoted acoustic music and the businesses in downtown Monrovia. Jennifer died yesterday and will be missed by many. I trust her energy and spirit will continue to be found in those who knew her and played music with her.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 09/24/19 10:11:21PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,687 posts

drifting thread....

You know you're getting old when Garbage Day becomes a 'red letter day' of your week.

--
Site Owner

Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
3 months ago
50 posts

Kevin R.:

Strumelia:

Ok, I know this is silly, but... drifting thread....

On my browsers, for some reason the font style plays tricks on my head for certain words. The oddest one is that when it says "tornados", my eyes think it says "tomatoes".  This results in my browsing through news stories and seeing headlines such as:  
"Tomatoes leave path of destruction in the midwest".  "Dozens injured by tomato in Oklahoma".

Perhaps you are reading too many gardening books? giggle2

Sorry, Kevin, you have developed an incurable eye problem. There are no drops, drugs, supplements, or implants to cure it. We call this condition getting older. grin

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,687 posts

Hi everyone!  FOTMD is celebrating its 10th year anniversary by hosting the free

Pickled Dulcimer Contest! Guess the winning number and win prizes!  Five winners will be announced on August 1st.

Submit your guess in the contest thread, and good luck!:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/off-topic-discussions/35052/enter-fotmds-10th-birthday-pickled-dulcimer-contest#r35070

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,687 posts

Ken I've grown to prefer sans serif over the past 10 years... because I'm finding them easier on my eyes... coool
It's four exclamation points in a row that give me seizures.  boggling

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 months ago
1,627 posts

You KNOW serifed fonts are much easier to read at any size than san serif fonts!!!!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
5 months ago
126 posts

Lisa, I know you are not as old as I am, but my old eyes remind that they are pretty choosy  about which fonts they like to read and what size fonts. Sort of like my wife's husband is picking choosing the perfect tomato to pick from the garden (when they get ripe finally).

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
968 posts

Strumelia, coffee2 -- step away from the computer.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
5 months ago
18 posts

Strumelia:

On my browsers, for some reason the font style plays tricks on my head for certain words. The oddest one is that when it says "tornados", my eyes think it says "tomatoes".  This results in my browsing through news stories and seeing headlines such as:  
"Tomatoes leave path of destruction in the midwest".  "Dozens injured by tomato in Oklahoma".

Perhaps you are reading too many gardening books? giggle2

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,687 posts

--
Site Owner

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 months ago
150 posts

HUG Sounds like we're really on the same wavelength (although I confess I learned how to fingerpick when I gotta). 

Jan Potts:

Actually, Lois, I played chords on folk guitar to accompany singing in the late 60's and 70's, but I don't think I played enough to get calluses!  I also never learned to fingerpick...

When the edges of the fake calluses begin to peel, I'd usually remove them and then re-apply.  This is what I did while I was waiting for a new callus to form after I cut a finger on my left hand last fall.  One of the things I did was to keep a uke handy and strum chords quietly on that for about 5 min. at a time while watching TV, etc. The hard part is to not overdue it while the baby calluses are developing.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 months ago
443 posts

Actually, Lois, I played chords on folk guitar to accompany singing in the late 60's and 70's, but I don't think I played enough to get calluses!  I also never learned to fingerpick...

When the edges of the fake calluses begin to peel, I'd usually remove them and then re-apply.  This is what I did while I was waiting for a new callus to form after I cut a finger on my left hand last fall.  One of the things I did was to keep a uke handy and strum chords quietly on that for about 5 min. at a time while watching TV, etc. The hard part is to not overdue it while the baby calluses are developing.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 months ago
150 posts

Thanks, Jan, I was thinking of the problem nail breakage, but know lack of calluses becomes a vicious cycle of not playing as long as I want & then not developing what calluses I need.  You & I both have non-string backgrounds from before being bitten by the dulcimer bug & share the transition. 

Quick Dumb Question: Does the peeling become a problem on the strings?

As the weather warms I could take the stinky stuff & put it on outside.

(Unrelated "Drifting Thread", love your Van Dyke quote, he was such a great storyteller -- his The Fourth Wise Man is a favorite -- and his quotes are often passed along.  I have his Seize the Day quote: Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love & towork & to play and to look up at the stars" on my "magnet gallery", the refrigerator.  Don't know if his play included any instruments, but it certainly fits here.)

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 months ago
443 posts

Lois, I've used Hard as Nails to make temporary calluses or protect an injured finger from further abuse while playing. When they begin to peel off, I try doing without them for a spell, then reapply as needed.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 months ago
150 posts

My husband uses New-Skin or another brand called Skin Shield for cracking skin, which is also a problem for banjo playing.

I've had it explained that having my hands in water a lot tends to be why I have such a hard time developing calluses.  shakeNo

I'm not sure if it's also the reason I'm noticing dulcimer "fingerdancing" seems to be cutting into my fingernails.  I hate the smell of nail polish, but may have to use Hard As Nails to toughen up my nails.  Liquid bandage smells about the same, but maybe would be a solution to give the equivalent of calluses?  The only problem is after a little while it tends to peel off.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,138 posts

Sorry to hear about your (ironic) injury, Robert.  The only advantage to liquid bandage as opposed to glue is that its antiseptic, so it helps keep things clean as well as sealing the skin. 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
6 months ago
248 posts

Cut another finger two hours after posting this!. Picking finger, not too bad. CA glue works best even on serious injuries. One thing I noticed is when you finger a musical instrument for many year's, your finger tips develop thicker skin. I have had cuts almost a millimeter deep without bleeding. Yet another reason to play a dulcimer😊...Robert

[quote="robert schuler"]

[quote="Dusty Turtle"]

Somehow yesterday I got the tiniest little cut on the very tip of the index finger of my left hand.  It's not serious at all, but just enough to cause some pain when I try to fret strings.  I guess I'll be playing a little noter/drone for a while.  Or maybe it's time to break out the autoharp.

[/Every time I cut my fingers which is too often,oddly enough my first thought is will it interfere with my playing. I do keep a hammered dulcimer handy just in case...Robert

[/quote]

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,138 posts

Ken Hulme: Two words Dusty:   Liquid Skin.  Works the charm for me. 

Yep.  I have a liquid bandage called New Skin on there right now.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 months ago
1,627 posts

Two words Dusty:   Liquid Skin.  Works the charm for me.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
6 months ago
94 posts

Little cuts are reason why I went to playing noter/drone style. When I was working my fingers would split in the winter...Know what you're talking about, Dusty. It's painful.

--
Site Moderator
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
6 months ago
112 posts

Don't "fret" too much about it, Dusty....hope you heal quickly; these little cuts can be painful.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,138 posts

Thanks, folks.  The cut is too tiny to whine about or to deserve any sympathy.  The problem really is not being able to play any fretted instruments.  I pulled out the autoharp, which has been in its case for a year or more.  Maybe in a few hours I'll be done tuning it. headbang  

@Jan-Potts, I had a student several years ago who lost significant portions of her leg to a flesh-eating bacteria.  Gruesome stuff.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 months ago
126 posts

Sorry Dusty. Tiny cuts can be quite irritating. Praying for quick healing

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 months ago
443 posts

Just saw a story on the news about a man in FL who got a small cut on his hand and it became infected with that flesh-eating bacteria.  Don't let the small size of the cut fool ya.  Be observant.  Stay well.  Heal quickly!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
6 months ago
248 posts

[quote="Dusty Turtle"]

Somehow yesterday I got the tiniest little cut on the very tip of the index finger of my left hand.  It's not serious at all, but just enough to cause some pain when I try to fret strings.  I guess I'll be playing a little noter/drone for a while.  Or maybe it's time to break out the autoharp.

[/Every time I cut my fingers which is too often,oddly enough my first thought is will it interfere with my playing. I do keep a hammered dulcimer handy just in case...Robert

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 months ago
609 posts

That's a bummer Dusty. I trust it will heal quickly. In the meantime, you have some good choices available to you. Have fun.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,138 posts

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
6 months ago
248 posts

Porch picking time is here again!. My porch is off the kitchen so I have to find a good way to store a dulcimer or two and a banjo in my kitchen so they are in easy reach. Spring came early this year, I've got acres to plant. Makes it hard to find time to play...Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,687 posts

Hi Richard!  Yes NY is kind of late for Spring, but it's what we have!  I usually buy already-started young tomato plants and put them in the ground the weekend before Memorial day, but I think maybe it'll mid May this year.  We don't usually get tomatoes to eat until August, except for maybe some cherry ones.

I researched what kind of pussy willow is native to our area, since all I ever see in the nurseries are decorative hybrids. I wanted the 'wild' ones, and I ordered 3 of them about eight years ago and planted them in our yard.  They seem to be doing ok and give me a modest bouquet or two every year now.  You must prune them severely each year after they bloom though- kind of a chore as they get heavier branches with time. But they are very welcome in early Spring when little else is blooming. Plus, we are cat lovers and the similarity to our kitties' little toes is very endearing... especially our velvety grey cat Teddy.  kittywink

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 months ago
126 posts

Spring is such a wonderful time.  Ah to see pussy willows blooming again. We had them when I was in Ohio as a child. They are not common in NC. Our spring is ahead of you folks in NY. Those with early gardens have pulled radishes already. Lettuces are coming in and early peas will be ready for picking in a couple of weeks.  Potatoes are in the ground and cabbages are growing. Some gardeners have their tomato plants in the ground and will be sowing warm season veggies in the next few weeks. We have had lots of rain and the ground is too moist for most seeds right now.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,687 posts

Well today was a good day for switching out my warm clothes for Spring/Summer stuff: packed away my winter boots, winter gloves, wooly scarves, hats, and coats.  Pulled out the sandals, sunhats, light silky scarves, and sweaters.  Switched my shoulder bag to the flowery Summer one too.  poolpartysun

Then I bought baby pots of rosemary, sage, and parsley... and planted them along with my surviving chive clump in my large patio 'mixed herb' pot.  It's conveniently located right by the back porch where I can step out from the kitchen to snip some.  Planted some tiny baby scallions and radish seeds out in the veggie garden.  Have some lettuce growing already.

Our pussy willows are finished doing their thing, and the daffodils and narcissus are finally blooming here in NY. Feels like Spring, at long last!  flower

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 months ago
94 posts

Nice.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,687 posts

Sweeeeet.

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 months ago
609 posts

Haste makes waste. Sorry about that!

Ken

IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2824.jpeg  •  548KB

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
9 months ago
120 posts

yep, let's see the mystery item.   :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,687 posts

Looking forward to the picture of the mystery item, Ken...  :D

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 months ago
609 posts

Strumelia: Sounds like you deserve a little break or special treat for yourself.  comfort

Funny you should mention that. This arrived in the mail today. Not really for me, but for grandsons when they come to visit. It will have to do until I get their soprano ukuleles made.

Ken

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
9 months ago
29 posts

Ken Longfield:

Well, today is February 1st and I am finally feeling better.... I'll have a lot of work to do when I get it back....

Ken, I'm so sorry to hear you had been under the weather...and computer glitches make my face go beet red, so I empathize.  Hope your heart and mind get some peace soon and all is restored in the digital world. In the mean time, Strum some :-)

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 months ago
94 posts

Punxsutawney Phil has spoken from his home on Gobblers Knob . Early Spring is just around the corner. Way to go Phil.

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 02/02/19 07:43:52AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,687 posts

@ken-longfield oh my goodness... that all sounds AWFUL.  Both the long sickness and the computer massive headache to top it all off.  Poor Ken!

Sounds like you deserve a little break or special treat for yourself.  comfort

--
Site Owner

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 months ago
272 posts

Groundhog Sir Walter Wally is making his call tomorrow in Raleigh, NC. I think he's going to see his shadow again this year!

Msmouce
Msmouce
@msmouce
9 months ago
5 posts

@ken-longfield Iam SO sorry to hear about your computer woes. Believe me, I understand.started teaching online almost 20years ago and have had so many technical issiues it makes me a little nauseous to think of it. Laugh  I’m just glad you were able to work it through. After all that, you deserve to have a long and relaxing evening of music. sun

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
968 posts

Ken L, I sure hope you & your wife are well on your way to feeling normal again!  Some illnesses just seem to hang on and on. . . And doggone about your computer!  Take care.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 months ago
609 posts

Well, today is February 1st and I am finally feeling better. My wife was ill for about three weeks and I thought I had missed it. Wrong! I am now almost back to "my" normal. However, while being down for the count, I decided to change the password on my computer. Bad idea. I had no problem changing it, but when I went to log back in, the computer would not recognize what I wrote down as the new password. Of course, it did not recognize the old password either. Today I felt well enough to take it to the computer clinic. The hard drive needs to be erased and a new OS installed. Luckily I have most of my data backed up and/or stored in the Cloud on on thumb drives. I'll have a lot of work to do when I get it back. I guess I don't have to worry about while I'll do with re-retirement. LOL! Just letting folks know why I have not been around much the last two weeks.

Ken

"The dulcimer sing a sweet song."

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 months ago
272 posts

Msmouce:

Sheryl St. Clare:

Sir Walter Wally made the call here in North Carolina. We're due for an early spring. flower

We're not that far from you here in extreme southeast VA. Did you think you had an early spring last year?

Ah, if only I could remember... wasntme

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
9 months ago
112 posts

A very informative video, Charles! Liked the background music also!

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
9 months ago
120 posts

I really enjoyed that video and the art and the dulcimer playing.   all well done and thought provoking.  Beautiful art.  I loved the cheering of children when things went 'viral".  aloha, irene

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 months ago
78 posts

Thanks Lisa!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,687 posts

Charles that is a cool video- I enjoyed it and learned from it!  yes

--
Site Owner

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 months ago
78 posts

My wife is a  professional artist, art educator and 20+ year teacher. She made a presentation on YouTube about how pattern making is Human. The first installment deals with the cave art in Lascaux, France. My original Dulcimer music is used as background music. Here's the link -  https://youtu.be/EchisgY3Hwo  

I hope you enjoy and maybe learn something new!!

Msmouce
Msmouce
@msmouce
9 months ago
5 posts

Sheryl St. Clare:

Sir Walter Wally made the call here in North Carolina. We're due for an early spring. flower

We're not that far from you here in extreme southeast VA. Did you think you had an early spring last year?

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
24 posts

Wow, Salt Springs! Howling coyotes, it truly was a wolf moon for you!

Barb

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
9 months ago
120 posts
I was able to view through my yurt big round skylight inside. I didn't stay up to see if it got red, as it got cloudy here. Awesome God's timepiece.
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 months ago
609 posts

I was out several times to watch the show. Didn't stay too long as it was 8 degrees fahrenheit . My biggest problem with viewing the event was that it was almost directly overhead. It really strained my neck to watch.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
9 months ago
1,138 posts

We were lucky; the cloud cover disappeared just in time for us to see the spectacle. I, too, was amazed how red (bloody?) the moon really was.  Pretty cool, huh?  No monkeys here, though. 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
9 months ago
153 posts

It was quite a show here too!   What was really wild is that just before it got really red, every coyote in the forest started yipping and howling and from the sound of them there are plenty of them around. (Now I know why three of the cats vanished.)

Oh and buy the way, Ken....being a forester you will appreciate this, the Monkeys from Silver Springs have shown up here and there..........one a mile or so from here and one over near Salt Springs Run.  Fish and Wildlife reports that some have migrated all the way to Apopka via the forest.  Check this link..........

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
24 posts

Thanks for the heads up, Salt Springs! The maps had Pittsburgh PA in the "poor" viewing area, but we actually got to see it. Since it was about 3 degrees outside, the sky was crystal clear which made it look even better. I live in the woods, and it is always amazing to see the moon shadows on the snow when we get a bright full moon.

Barb

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,627 posts

I was out watching at Midnight.  Fabulous.  Here in SW Florida it appeared so dark read that it almost disappeared from view...

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
9 months ago
153 posts

Don't forget tonight is the night of the really cool Super Wolf Blood moon lunar eclipse ...........begins in about 10 minutes and peaks at 12:12AM. (EST)

updated by @salt-springs: 01/20/19 09:28:42PM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 months ago
443 posts

Yes, The Holly Tree has been tabbed out.  Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment--I just borrowed someone else's music when I joined the local dulcimer club at their concert.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 months ago
248 posts

Words are not enough to express the joy of having Jean Ritchie in our lives. I think you will agree we were blessed to have her as our inspiration.... Robert

/ 4