The Drifting Thread...

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
3 days ago
6 posts

Once again I have just been watching the TV over here in the UK, seeing and hearing news about the terrible wild fires you have going on in California  stay safe everyone.

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
4 days ago
7 posts

My wife and I went to see Mac McAnally last night in Harrisburg, PA. What a wonderful experience and if you ever get the chance don't hesitate to go and see him. For those who don't know him he is one of the guitarists and vocalists for Jimmy Buffett, but he is an amazing songwriter and performer on his own and has performed with many other top country recording artists. He has also been named the CMA Musician of the Year something like 9 or 10 times for his work with these artists. If you've never heard of him check out on YouTube. Some of his best songs include "It's My Job", "Down the Road", "Back Where I Come From" to name a few. A genuinely nice, humble and talented man. You won't be disappointed.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 days ago
1,875 posts

Jim Fawcett:

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served. Thank you for your service clapper

Thanks Jim.  nod

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
4 days ago
22 posts

Happy veterans day ! attached is a picture Of Danial Dean Hubbard the one on the right Marines so proud of all my boys. Thanks for your service  

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 days ago
135 posts

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served. Thank you for your service clapper

--
Site Moderator
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 days ago
444 posts

I liked these stories, too, Jim--and read them to my husband, who also appreciated them.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
646 posts

Great stories Jim. Thanks for sharing them.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,875 posts

Oh I love those stories Jim!

--
Site Owner

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
2 weeks ago
51 posts

Maggie and I saw Arlo surprise John Prine in Barrie about 25 years ago.  I haven't seen him since then.

John was doing a solo act, just him and his guitar.  When he announced Angel From Montgomery, Arlo walked out and sat at the piano and Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt walked out and started singing harmony.  John looked truly shocked, but very pleased.

I once saw Ed McCurdy singing his song, Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream and Joan Baez walked out from back stage and sang harmony.  I talked to Ed a few months later and he told me that he was truly surprised.  He said that he had a huge crush on Joan in the sixties and having her come and sing with him was a major thrill.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 weeks ago
444 posts

I've been to an Arlo Guthrie concert with a fairly small audience and it really was a wonderful experience, for all the reasons you mentioned, Ken.  I also enjoyed a small Joan Baez concert not too long ago!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
646 posts

We had a good time at Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Tour. Sarah Lee Guthrie also performed. Of course, the highlight of the evening was an updated version of the song. The tour is in honor of the 50 anniversary of the release of the movie. We enjoyed hearing some old songs, some new songs, singing along, and laughing a lot. If he performs near your you, go to the concert. It was delightful. Being seventh months younger than me, he keep the concert to a length people our age can tolerate.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_2786.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg  •  598KB

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
444 posts

Yes, we are all concerned about how you all are doing out in CA.  It helps just hearing that you and your family are currently OK, Dusty.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,875 posts

I think of you members in California when I read of these terrible fires in the news.  I hope you all stay safe, and that your homes stay safe as well. 

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 months ago
1,048 posts

Thanks, @alan-thompson.  It's pretty crazy out here.  My own home is in no danger, but i have a colleague from work who had to evacuate his home in Redding, and my wife's cousin has had to leave her home as well. She may be staying with us for a few days.

My daughter and I were in Yosemite last week but left the night before they decided to close it to visitors. The air was really bad as smoke from the nearby Ferguson fire had filled the valley.  Now it's still closed and they're using it as headquarters for all the firefighters.

Where I live in Sacramento, the air has been horrible the last few days since we have fires up north and fires down south.  The sky looks gray even though there are no clouds.  We've been staying indoors for the most part, though when it cooled down yesterday evening I finally did some long overdue yardwork.

My fear is that this is the new normal as wildfires have been getting exponentially worse the last few years.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,791 posts

Thanx Allan, on behalf of the Cali players...

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
4 months ago
6 posts

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this note in but here it is anyway.

I've just been hearing about the wild fires that you have going on over there in California, just got to say stay safe everyone. My thoughts are with you and with all the fire fighters that are working hard to put the fires out I do hope everyone is OK.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 months ago
87 posts

Bee careful!!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,875 posts

The forecast is perfect for tomorrow, when I'll be driving to pick up my three new 'nuc' colonies of bees, and then installing them in their new homes in back of our garden.  My empty hives have been cleaned and are ready and waiting. 
Wish me minimal stings for the day!  (one or two are almost to be expected when moving thousands of bees into new quarters)  dancetomato

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
7 months ago
135 posts
Last night and this morning we had rain after a bit of a dry spell. Big storm to be moving in here in S/W PA.
We shall see.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 months ago
1,003 posts

I hope you get rain, Charles! 

After a very wet winter and spring, we are starting to want for rain here in Ohio. 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
7 months ago
87 posts

Spring in El Paso means lots of dry,hot, dusty wind(30-50 mph). I'm praying for rain.

The member
The member
@the-member
7 months ago
11 posts

So wonderful to (finally!) experience Spring weather at the start of May.  flower

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts

Define mess?... All in the eye of the beholder. Lots of sunlight for you play station. Nicethumbsup

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
1,875 posts

Here's my playstation.  Sometimes it's messier than other times... but always a work in progress.

desk20181.jpg

--
Site Owner

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 months ago
87 posts

Rob, no it's not an original, I bought it about five years ago.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 months ago
473 posts

Is that an original Pignose, Charles?  I bought mine in '73 and still use it some.  Even took it on the road back then.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts
So 😎...

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 months ago
87 posts

I know what you mean! I do have someone watching over my stuff(see photo). Also , BB King handed me that pin personally! I think it might still have a little mojo left!

IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_1948.jpg  •  109KB

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts

I have a small corner of a small room. But it's all mine

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 months ago
87 posts

Thanks Jim! It's all camera angles, it's a small room!

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts

Charles Thomas:

Here's my playstation. I saw Jim's and it looked kind of familiar!

You have a lot of room there Charles. I like the chair...among other things.

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 months ago
87 posts

Here's my playstation. I saw Jim's and it looked kind of familiar!

IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg  •  148KB

updated by @charles-thomas: 03/30/18 09:10:04PM
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts

If you closely, you can see that my laptop is opened to FOTMD...grin

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
1,875 posts

Good one Jim!  ;D   It looks not too different from my own 'messy desk' Play Station.  Love your 'drawer music stand'...brilliant!   nerd2

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 months ago
135 posts

This is my play station. Of course not to be confused with the Play Station 4...

DSC_3626.JPG

--
Site Moderator
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 months ago
263 posts

Lisa, Your just 220 miles up the street from me. Whenever we get storms I know they will be headed your way. I take comfort when I see the birds going about their business unperturbed by the storm. I wish we could be so calm about storms as they are. Winter is loosing its grip around here. I'm going to miss as Robert Frost wrote, stopping by woods on a snowy evening, just to watch them fill with snow. Country snow is always a thing of beauty... Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
1,875 posts

We had about 20 inches of heavy wet snow since yesterday.  Quite a project to dig out from.  Needless to say everything is deeply blanketed in white, including all the tree branches.

This afternoon I looked out the window and saw movements in the big cedar tree. I soon realized there were two or three dozen robin-red-breast birds all over the tree, eating the abundant amount of little blue cedar/juniper berries that I had noticed covering the branches this Fall.  Robins have arrived a little early, but they found something good to eat today!

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
9 months ago
564 posts

Or maybe I should have said:

Working on our Strum music

Son of a gun                            4 4  4  6.5 

we'll have big fun                     6.5,  5  4 5

on the bay - ou                        4  2,  1 0-- ----

Happy Mardi Gras

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
1,003 posts

Perfect, Marg!  

--
Robin T
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
9 months ago
1,048 posts

What an adorable photo, @marg!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
9 months ago
564 posts

Working on our strum, having some fun.

holly gran dulcimer.png

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
18 posts

Jan Potts:

Eventually the toms start to display and well, you can imagine what comes next.

Geez, I never knew when I became a member here that I would learn so much about the birds and the bees!

Don't forget about the bears! Salt Springs post on bear management was brilliant!  Barb

Sam
Sam
@sam
9 months ago
213 posts

Uh ... Jim ... th' birds n bees ain't that current ... just sayin'  whistle

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 months ago
135 posts

We try to keep everyone up on the current events. thumbsup

--
Site Moderator
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
444 posts

Eventually the toms start to display and well, you can imagine what comes next.

Geez, I never knew when I became a member here that I would learn so much about the birds and the bees!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 months ago
135 posts

robert schuler:
Jim Fawcett:

You have more activity than we do right now, Barb. The gas company is leveling off the field  where i could see and hear them from my front porch. More habitat gone. I'm waiting to hear from them to see how far off they are. Nothing yet. 

The gas company is supposed ??? To return the land back to the way it was. Hope you get your habitat back... I lost a complete planting of tomatoes to turkeys, lost thousands of much needed dough as well. Now I fence all plantings and enjoy the gobblers... Robert.

They're in the process of making it level to drill. They are at a stop now. Don't know when they'll start back up.

--
Site Moderator
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 months ago
263 posts

Jim Fawcett:

You have more activity than we do right now, Barb. The gas company is leveling off the field  where i could see and hear them from my front porch. More habitat gone. I'm waiting to hear from them to see how far off they are. Nothing yet. 

The gas company is supposed ??? To return the land back to the way it was. Hope you get your habitat back... I lost a complete planting of tomatoes to turkeys, lost thousands of much needed dough as well. Now I fence all plantings and enjoy the gobblers... Robert.

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
18 posts

Jim Fawcett:

Our philosophy is "Feed them and they will come!" We never saw any turkeys for the first 10 years we lived here. Then a superflock arrived one day and we've had them ever since. They hang out on the steep hill behind out house (south facing) and wait for their handout. They definitely have us trained!  Barb

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 months ago
135 posts

--
Site Moderator
Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
18 posts

Salt Springs:

If these guys don't move on I going to have to do what I did a few years back.  One guy used to back up to the kitchen door and hang out there most of the night so I got the loudest Leaf blower I could find and tied it to the 4x4 post closest to that door with some bungee cord.   I ran an extension cord into the house and waited until he backed up to it late one night.  When he was not expecting it I plugged it in and it gave him a healthy blast to his big old keester.   He left at a high rate of speed and was gone for about a month....'twas a sight to behold.

I like your idea of wild life management! I will remember it when the Raccoon Brothers Gang gets out of control.  Barb

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
9 months ago
18 posts

My harbingers of spring are turkeys. We live at the bottom of a steep ravine with a creek and have all the elements of a turkey hotspot--food (provided by us), water, shelter, and a level area where the toms can strut and display. Usually the turkey groups seem to be divided by sex, the toms only hang out with each other while the hens and some younger toms form another group. As spring approaches, this division breaks down and it's turkeys everywhere with more running around and altercations. Eventually the toms start to display and well, you can imagine what comes next. Then they all disappear to the turkey homeland and we don't see them until the next snowfall in the fall.

So far we are at the stage where the social divisions are starting to break down but it's still pretty orderly out there. By the turkey meter, it is not spring yet.

Barb

Sam
Sam
@sam
9 months ago
213 posts

Daffs are up y'all

<a title="daffs" href="https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/off-topic-discussions/11615/img

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
marg
@marg
10 months ago
564 posts

Natchez, Miss

Anyone know of a dulcimer group in Natchez? I will be there for a few days this coming week & would love to met up with fellow dulcimer players

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
10 months ago
335 posts

Sir Walter Wally made the call here in North Carolina. We're due for an early spring. flower

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
10 months ago
122 posts

Blame it on the Germans in Pennsylvania!  The Historical Society of Michigan just posted this:

The first Groundhog Day was celebrated on February 2, 1887. Groundhog Day
has its roots in the ancient tradition of Candlemas, when candles were
blessed and distributed for the winter - the candles represented how long
and cold the winter would be. Germans expanded on this concept by selecting
an animal-the hedgehog-as a means of predicting weather. Once they came to
America, German settlers in Pennsylvania continued the tradition, although
they switched from hedgehogs to groundhogs.
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
10 months ago
122 posts

<SIGH!>  I really think the 2/1 date is for a lot lower in the contiguous 48.  Since Canada's the 1st foreign country south of Detroit (& that little bit of Ontario's south of a lot of the northern states) I think we need to come up with a new date or 2 for us in the U.S. and surely Canadians don't agree with Punxatawney Phil et al. 

Rob N Lackey:

French Creek Freddy didn't see his shadow today, so while y'all in PA and OH are experiencing 6 more weeks of winter, we in WV will be enjoying our early spring

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 months ago
473 posts

French Creek Freddy didn't see his shadow today, so while y'all in PA and OH are experiencing 6 more weeks of winter, we in WV will be enjoying our early spring

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 months ago
1,875 posts

You should write to the leaf blower manufacturer about that- they'd love it.

In NY here all the bears are totally hibernating.  15F this morning as I drink my coffee, and 5" of fresh snow out there.

--
Site Owner

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
10 months ago
111 posts

If these guys don't move on I going to have to do what I did a few years back.  One guy used to back up to the kitchen door and hang out there most of the night so I got the loudest Leaf blower I could find and tied it to the 4x4 post closest to that door with some bungee cord.   I ran an extension cord into the house and waited until he backed up to it late one night.  When he was not expecting it I plugged it in and it gave him a healthy blast to his big old keester.   He left at a high rate of speed and was gone for about a month....'twas a sight to behold.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 months ago
1,003 posts

Buckeye Chuck saw his shadow, too!  

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
10 months ago
135 posts

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning. So expect 6 more weeks of winter weather.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 months ago
1,003 posts

Wow, Salt!  Take care. 

--
Robin T
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,791 posts

"Music soothes the savage beast."

You do know The Bear Went Over The Mountain, right....

marg
@marg
10 months ago
564 posts

Salt Springs,

(new guy out on the back deck)

WOW, I wouldn't plan on playing out there for awhile

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
10 months ago
111 posts

January 28 2018 Bear.JPG    

This new guy out on the back deck seems to have a bit of an attitude.  He'll move on in a few days....it appears that there are three males roaming around the last few nights, probably getting ready to settle their territorial issues.  We'll see who comes out on top before long.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
10 months ago
122 posts

Cynthia Wigington:

Lois, get yourself a fresh can of pumpkin and coconut milk and make it again. Heck you literally only need to add a quart of water, well, and some chili powder IMHO. It's going to be my potluck supper goto meal. Today made soup with split peas, Jasmine rice, half of a little canned "ham" I wanted to use up, maybe a onion, bit of garlic peppers, habanero pepper, and of course extra hot chili powder I buy by the pound. I'll add milk to it to make it good, out of coconut milk - of and need another can of pumpkin. I'm a happy camper today, been singing sacred harp all day long.

Fresh can still needed something.  Added cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves -- all ground.  That made a huge difference, keeping it from that "canny" taste.  Also the next time I plan to add the coconut milk slowly, using less as I like it thicker.  Neither time added water.

Another quick and easy soup is corn chowder.  Can of creamed corn and can of cream of celery-- NO Water!  The trick is sufficient mixing.  I microwave it, being careful to not boil over.  So rich I only let myself have it once a month Max!  Hmmm.  Probably ought to check on the pumpkin soup.  Coconut milk is pretty rich,too.  Wonder if any other milk substitute is worth pursuing?

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
10 months ago
81 posts

That would be awesome Jan - you know, your avatar reminds me of a Terry Riley record cover. He looks very...zen there...so do you. I think I need to go to a zen buddhist school. At the moment enjoying my last days with my 2 friends, the other 2 are incommunicado. I am most enjoying doing Japanese on Duolingo. Always loved learning the writing in Japanese, and reading simple stories. Hope you have some joy as well.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 months ago
444 posts

I'm glad to hear that there is much to cherish and celebrate during this time of sadness.  I will try to get something recorded and posted here before too much more time has passed...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
10 months ago
81 posts

Reading your post Jan as the day dawns at 10 below here in Vermont. I sure would like to hear you play the Boat Song - don't know the Loch Tay one, just Skye, which I have played over and over and over loving every minute of it. Life is rich - lots of music, especially sacred harp, lots of drawing and painting, and now lots of languages again. Also four people I'm very close to dying at this time. I'm grateful you, and your music are out there somewhere, it makes it easier. Thank you.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 months ago
444 posts

You all are so adventuresome!  We had chili today....so I guess we got some healthy beans in there, too...

Cynthia, good to hear from you.  I think of you often when I pick up my dulcimers.  I'm wondering if it's too late to post Christmas music--maybe it's just early for next year?

I'll drift a little more and add that I performed 2 instrumentals at the Open Mic concert at Kentucky Music Winter Weekend: The Loch Tay Boat Song and The Parting Glass (my version of it, anyway...I don't have any tab for it).  I feel your encouragement across the miles...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,791 posts

Yep -- that's the PR way -- separate beans and sauce, then served alongside, not on top of the rice. 

I do "beans and rice" from 8 or 9 cultures -- Puerto Rico, Trinidad, 2 ways from Cuba, Nicaragua vs south of the Rio San Juan in Costa Rica, Barbados, Chamorro from Guam, Mexico, and Hoppin' John versus Cajun Red Beans & Rice.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 months ago
1,875 posts

Rice with pigeon peas (gandules) is very different from rice and beans though.  When making rice and beans, you keep the rice separate from the beans with sauce until you serve the beans next to the rice.  I too grew my own gandules bushes for many years.  That blogger's arroz con gandules recipe with pernil sounds pretty authentic.

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,791 posts

Lisa -- I get occasional emails from this guy's food blog.  His Arroz con Gandules is about as authentic as the recipe I learned from "de island".  I grow my own gandules (pigeon peas) here.  They get about 8 ft tall and last for 2-3 seasons before dying back.  

https://thefloribeancook.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/arroz-con-gandules-puerto-rican-rice-and-pidgeon-peas-and-pernil-roast-pork/

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
10 months ago
81 posts

Did you tell us how to do that on here yet? Sounds like the third world food I try to live on...

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 months ago
1,875 posts

I'm back to making rice and beans Puerto Rican style again.  grin

--
Site Owner

/ 3