Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,593 posts

Sweeeeet.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
565 posts

Haste makes waste. Sorry about that!

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2824.jpeg  •  954KB

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 months ago
90 posts

yep, let's see the mystery item.   :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,593 posts

Looking forward to the picture of the mystery item, Ken...  :D

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
565 posts

Strumelia: Sounds like you deserve a little break or special treat for yourself.  comfort

Funny you should mention that. This arrived in the mail today. Not really for me, but for grandsons when they come to visit. It will have to do until I get their soprano ukuleles made.

Ken

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
3 months ago
29 posts

Ken Longfield:

Well, today is February 1st and I am finally feeling better.... I'll have a lot of work to do when I get it back....

Ken, I'm so sorry to hear you had been under the weather...and computer glitches make my face go beet red, so I empathize.  Hope your heart and mind get some peace soon and all is restored in the digital world. In the mean time, Strum some :-)

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
3 months ago
88 posts

Punxsutawney Phil has spoken from his home on Gobblers Knob . Early Spring is just around the corner. Way to go Phil.

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 02/02/19 07:43:52AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,593 posts

@ken-longfield oh my goodness... that all sounds AWFUL.  Both the long sickness and the computer massive headache to top it all off.  Poor Ken!

Sounds like you deserve a little break or special treat for yourself.  comfort

--
Site Owner

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
272 posts

Groundhog Sir Walter Wally is making his call tomorrow in Raleigh, NC. I think he's going to see his shadow again this year!

Msmouce
Msmouce
@msmouce
3 months ago
5 posts

@ken-longfield Iam SO sorry to hear about your computer woes. Believe me, I understand.started teaching online almost 20years ago and have had so many technical issiues it makes me a little nauseous to think of it. Laugh I’m just glad you were able to work it through. After all that, you deserve to have a long and relaxing evening of music. sun

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
867 posts

Ken L, I sure hope you & your wife are well on your way to feeling normal again!  Some illnesses just seem to hang on and on. . . And doggone about your computer!  Take care.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
565 posts

Well, today is February 1st and I am finally feeling better. My wife was ill for about three weeks and I thought I had missed it. Wrong! I am now almost back to "my" normal. However, while being down for the count, I decided to change the password on my computer. Bad idea. I had no problem changing it, but when I went to log back in, the computer would not recognize what I wrote down as the new password. Of course, it did not recognize the old password either. Today I felt well enough to take it to the computer clinic. The hard drive needs to be erased and a new OS installed. Luckily I have most of my data backed up and/or stored in the Cloud on on thumb drives. I'll have a lot of work to do when I get it back. I guess I don't have to worry about while I'll do with re-retirement. LOL! Just letting folks know why I have not been around much the last two weeks.

Ken

"The dulcimer sing a sweet song."

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
272 posts

Msmouce:

Sheryl St. Clare:

Sir Walter Wally made the call here in North Carolina. We're due for an early spring. flower

We're not that far from you here in extreme southeast VA. Did you think you had an early spring last year?

Ah, if only I could remember... wasntme

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 months ago
83 posts

A very informative video, Charles! Liked the background music also!

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 months ago
90 posts

I really enjoyed that video and the art and the dulcimer playing.   all well done and thought provoking.  Beautiful art.  I loved the cheering of children when things went 'viral".  aloha, irene

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
3 months ago
78 posts

Thanks Lisa!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,593 posts

Charles that is a cool video- I enjoyed it and learned from it!  yes

--
Site Owner

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
3 months ago
78 posts

My wife is a  professional artist, art educator and 20+ year teacher. She made a presentation on YouTube about how pattern making is Human. The first installment deals with the cave art in Lascaux, France. My original Dulcimer music is used as background music. Here's the link - https://youtu.be/EchisgY3Hwo  

I hope you enjoy and maybe learn something new!!

Msmouce
Msmouce
@msmouce
3 months ago
5 posts

Sheryl St. Clare:

Sir Walter Wally made the call here in North Carolina. We're due for an early spring. flower

We're not that far from you here in extreme southeast VA. Did you think you had an early spring last year?

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
3 months ago
24 posts

Wow, Salt Springs! Howling coyotes, it truly was a wolf moon for you!

Barb

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 months ago
90 posts
I was able to view through my yurt big round skylight inside. I didn't stay up to see if it got red, as it got cloudy here. Awesome God's timepiece.
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
565 posts

I was out several times to watch the show. Didn't stay too long as it was 8 degrees fahrenheit . My biggest problem with viewing the event was that it was almost directly overhead. It really strained my neck to watch.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,080 posts

We were lucky; the cloud cover disappeared just in time for us to see the spectacle. I, too, was amazed how red (bloody?) the moon really was.  Pretty cool, huh?  No monkeys here, though. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 months ago
111 posts

It was quite a show here too!   What was really wild is that just before it got really red, every coyote in the forest started yipping and howling and from the sound of them there are plenty of them around. (Now I know why three of the cats vanished.)

Oh and buy the way, Ken....being a forester you will appreciate this, the Monkeys from Silver Springs have shown up here and there..........one a mile or so from here and one over near Salt Springs Run.  Fish and Wildlife reports that some have migrated all the way to Apopka via the forest.  Check this link..........

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
3 months ago
24 posts

Thanks for the heads up, Salt Springs! The maps had Pittsburgh PA in the "poor" viewing area, but we actually got to see it. Since it was about 3 degrees outside, the sky was crystal clear which made it look even better. I live in the woods, and it is always amazing to see the moon shadows on the snow when we get a bright full moon.

Barb

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,517 posts

I was out watching at Midnight.  Fabulous.  Here in SW Florida it appeared so dark read that it almost disappeared from view...

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 months ago
111 posts

Don't forget tonight is the night of the really cool Super Wolf Blood moon lunar eclipse ...........begins in about 10 minutes and peaks at 12:12AM. (EST)

updated by @salt-springs: 01/20/19 09:28:42PM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
435 posts

Yes, The Holly Tree has been tabbed out.  Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment--I just borrowed someone else's music when I joined the local dulcimer club at their concert.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
4 months ago
240 posts

Words are not enough to express the joy of having Jean Ritchie in our lives. I think you will agree we were blessed to have her as our inspiration.... Robert

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 months ago
108 posts

Is tab available, free or pay, for The Holly Tree??

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
435 posts

I played in a concert today and one of the songs we performed was Jean Ritchie's song: The Holly Tree.  The people gave us a lot of applause, so I guess they liked it, too.  Jean would be so pleased, I think, to know that her music is being carried on across the globe, just as she did when she was alive.  Of course, a spark of Jean will always live on, I think!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,517 posts

R.I.P. Jean

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
867 posts

Today is Jean Ritchie's birthday.  

--
Robin T
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
867 posts

I've always loved Roy's Yesterday, When I Was Young and, of course, loved him on Hee-Haw.  

--
Robin T
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,080 posts

Roy Clark was indeed an amazing musician and performer. He was equally at home on the fiddle, guitar, or banjo (and who knows what else). And he could play nearly any type of music, too. RIP

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 months ago
1,517 posts

R.I.P. Roy Clark...

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 months ago
169 posts

I just saw that Roy Clark passed away.  What an amazingly gifted musician he was!  He could play anything with strings on it... including a Hee Haw "Plickitt".

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
5 months ago
7 posts

Once again I have just been watching the TV over here in the UK, seeing and hearing news about the terrible wild fires you have going on in California  stay safe everyone.

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
5 months ago
11 posts

My wife and I went to see Mac McAnally last night in Harrisburg, PA. What a wonderful experience and if you ever get the chance don't hesitate to go and see him. For those who don't know him he is one of the guitarists and vocalists for Jimmy Buffett, but he is an amazing songwriter and performer on his own and has performed with many other top country recording artists. He has also been named the CMA Musician of the Year something like 9 or 10 times for his work with these artists. If you've never heard of him check out on YouTube. Some of his best songs include "It's My Job", "Down the Road", "Back Where I Come From" to name a few. A genuinely nice, humble and talented man. You won't be disappointed.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,593 posts

Jim Fawcett:

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served. Thank you for your service clapper

Thanks Jim.  nod

--
Site Owner

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
5 months ago
21 posts

Happy veterans day ! attached is a picture Of Danial Dean Hubbard the one on the right Marines so proud of all my boys. Thanks for your service  

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
5 months ago
88 posts

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served. Thank you for your service clapper

--
Site Moderator
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 months ago
435 posts

I liked these stories, too, Jim--and read them to my husband, who also appreciated them.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 months ago
565 posts

Great stories Jim. Thanks for sharing them.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,593 posts

Oh I love those stories Jim!

--
Site Owner

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
6 months ago
40 posts

Maggie and I saw Arlo surprise John Prine in Barrie about 25 years ago.  I haven't seen him since then.

John was doing a solo act, just him and his guitar.  When he announced Angel From Montgomery, Arlo walked out and sat at the piano and Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt walked out and started singing harmony.  John looked truly shocked, but very pleased.

I once saw Ed McCurdy singing his song, Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream and Joan Baez walked out from back stage and sang harmony.  I talked to Ed a few months later and he told me that he was truly surprised.  He said that he had a huge crush on Joan in the sixties and having her come and sing with him was a major thrill.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 months ago
435 posts

I've been to an Arlo Guthrie concert with a fairly small audience and it really was a wonderful experience, for all the reasons you mentioned, Ken.  I also enjoyed a small Joan Baez concert not too long ago!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 months ago
565 posts

We had a good time at Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Tour. Sarah Lee Guthrie also performed. Of course, the highlight of the evening was an updated version of the song. The tour is in honor of the 50 anniversary of the release of the movie. We enjoyed hearing some old songs, some new songs, singing along, and laughing a lot. If he performs near your you, go to the concert. It was delightful. Being seventh months younger than me, he keep the concert to a length people our age can tolerate.

Ken

IMG_2786.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg  •  598KB

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
435 posts

Yes, we are all concerned about how you all are doing out in CA.  It helps just hearing that you and your family are currently OK, Dusty.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,593 posts

I think of you members in California when I read of these terrible fires in the news.  I hope you all stay safe, and that your homes stay safe as well. 

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
9 months ago
1,080 posts

Thanks, @alan-thompson.  It's pretty crazy out here.  My own home is in no danger, but i have a colleague from work who had to evacuate his home in Redding, and my wife's cousin has had to leave her home as well. She may be staying with us for a few days.

My daughter and I were in Yosemite last week but left the night before they decided to close it to visitors. The air was really bad as smoke from the nearby Ferguson fire had filled the valley.  Now it's still closed and they're using it as headquarters for all the firefighters.

Where I live in Sacramento, the air has been horrible the last few days since we have fires up north and fires down south.  The sky looks gray even though there are no clouds.  We've been staying indoors for the most part, though when it cooled down yesterday evening I finally did some long overdue yardwork.

My fear is that this is the new normal as wildfires have been getting exponentially worse the last few years.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,517 posts

Thanx Allan, on behalf of the Cali players...

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
9 months ago
7 posts

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this note in but here it is anyway.

I've just been hearing about the wild fires that you have going on over there in California, just got to say stay safe everyone. My thoughts are with you and with all the fire fighters that are working hard to put the fires out I do hope everyone is OK.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

Bee careful!!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,593 posts

The forecast is perfect for tomorrow, when I'll be driving to pick up my three new 'nuc' colonies of bees, and then installing them in their new homes in back of our garden.  My empty hives have been cleaned and are ready and waiting. 
Wish me minimal stings for the day!  (one or two are almost to be expected when moving thousands of bees into new quarters)  dancetomato

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts
Last night and this morning we had rain after a bit of a dry spell. Big storm to be moving in here in S/W PA.
We shall see.

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
867 posts

I hope you get rain, Charles! 

After a very wet winter and spring, we are starting to want for rain here in Ohio. 

--
Robin T
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

Spring in El Paso means lots of dry,hot, dusty wind(30-50 mph). I'm praying for rain.

The member
The member
@the-member
last year
11 posts

So wonderful to (finally!) experience Spring weather at the start of May.  flower

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts

Define mess?... All in the eye of the beholder. Lots of sunlight for you play station. Nicethumbsup

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,593 posts

Here's my playstation.  Sometimes it's messier than other times... but always a work in progress.

desk20181.jpg

--
Site Owner

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

Rob, no it's not an original, I bought it about five years ago.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
last year
445 posts

Is that an original Pignose, Charles?  I bought mine in '73 and still use it some.  Even took it on the road back then.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts
So 😎...

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

I know what you mean! I do have someone watching over my stuff(see photo). Also , BB King handed me that pin personally! I think it might still have a little mojo left!

IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_1948.jpg  •  109KB

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts

I have a small corner of a small room. But it's all mine

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

Thanks Jim! It's all camera angles, it's a small room!

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts

Charles Thomas:

Here's my playstation. I saw Jim's and it looked kind of familiar!

You have a lot of room there Charles. I like the chair...among other things.

--
Site Moderator
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
last year
78 posts

Here's my playstation. I saw Jim's and it looked kind of familiar!

IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg  •  148KB

updated by @charles-thomas: 03/30/18 09:10:04PM
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts

If you closely, you can see that my laptop is opened to FOTMD...grin

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,593 posts

Good one Jim!  ;D   It looks not too different from my own 'messy desk' Play Station.  Love your 'drawer music stand'...brilliant!   nerd2

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
last year
88 posts

This is my play station. Of course not to be confused with the Play Station 4...

DSC_3626.JPG

--
Site Moderator
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
last year
240 posts

Lisa, Your just 220 miles up the street from me. Whenever we get storms I know they will be headed your way. I take comfort when I see the birds going about their business unperturbed by the storm. I wish we could be so calm about storms as they are. Winter is loosing its grip around here. I'm going to miss as Robert Frost wrote, stopping by woods on a snowy evening, just to watch them fill with snow. Country snow is always a thing of beauty... Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,593 posts

We had about 20 inches of heavy wet snow since yesterday.  Quite a project to dig out from.  Needless to say everything is deeply blanketed in white, including all the tree branches.

This afternoon I looked out the window and saw movements in the big cedar tree. I soon realized there were two or three dozen robin-red-breast birds all over the tree, eating the abundant amount of little blue cedar/juniper berries that I had noticed covering the branches this Fall.  Robins have arrived a little early, but they found something good to eat today!

--
Site Owner

/ 3