The Drifting Thread...

IRENE
@irene
6 hours ago
65 posts

OH LISA, I totally TOTALLY loved your write up on address books.   laughing about"crossing off somebody else's dead list" still has me laughing.  oh my, I've been looking for a good address book for YEARS for the same reason.  I was using ledger cash books, they don't make those any more either.  I might have to be looking on ebay or used book stores for one(watch out dead guys, here I come)....aloha, irene

Strumelia
@strumelia
15 hours ago
1,866 posts

Thank you Lexie, I'm glad you enjoyed it.   :)   I agree that it's somehow soothing and reassuring to have a redundant but 'real' address/phone book, despite our digital superabundance of data. 
I've lately been reading that there's a segment of young people today seeking out information-processors that they've never even touched with their hands before- like old fashioned manual typewriters, transistor radios, 45 & 78 rpm record players... simply because they are marvelous and enjoyable things to use and experience.  There's hope for us yet!   ;)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
16 hours ago
354 posts

Lisa, you know how years ago we could remember all the important numbers and addresses, now with all our instant gadgets for me it is difficult to remember so many numbers. To have a book such as you described, to curl up and write down important peoples numbers is soothing and helps our memory.

You expressed yourself beautifully and I too think submitting your writing is a great idea, it was a joy to read.

Richard Streib
@richard-streib
18 hours ago
49 posts

Lisa,

You are surely not alone in this. All of our modern gadgets have their places--I guess--but sometimes simpler things from times past seem better for those of us over 60 or 70 or... We love the dulcimer from times past, so it all makes perfect sense.

Strumelia
@strumelia
19 hours ago
1,866 posts

Well, maybe you're right.  Maybe I should!  We do have a local paper.  Wouldn't hurt anything, I read way worse pieces in it.  lol

--
Site Owner

Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
19 hours ago
15 posts

@ken-hulme I was just thinking the same thing as I read Lisa's post! Lisa, it's so interesting and well-written, with good humor and a light touch! You should submit it.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
21 hours ago
1,555 posts

Beautifully written, Lisa.  You should submit it to magazines and your newspapers.

Strumelia
@strumelia
yesterday
1,866 posts

I'm sure I'm not alone in this 'problem':

Being over 60, I grew up with old fashioned rotary-dial telephones and old fashioned address/phone books.  You know, the actual books that had lined pages and index tabs sticking out for each letter, so you flip to "S" to find Jane Smith's telephone number and address.  Looking through older used up ones can be a real trip down your own personal Memory Lane, but it's not for the faint of heart.  I like to always keep a large desk version in my desk drawer, with lots of pages and spaces to work with. I refer to it often, so I love having one that it lovely to look at and a pleasure to use.

The problem is that after ten years or more, such a book starts running out of room.  And sadly, there are more and more DEAD people who get crossed out.  Also, young people move every few years and they accumulate multiple crossed out lines of defunct phone numbers and addresses.  They shamelessly overflow their allotted spaces!  Eventually, the whole book gets rather depressing to leaf through and looks like a total mess... that's when i buy a new one and start fresh with my new friends and acquaintances, new plumbers, new pizza delivery numbers, new dentists, new snow plow guys and car repair garages.  It's a good feeling to 'shed' one's old skin and be reborn.

But I'm sure you've guessed where this is headed...

Yes, last year I started my once-a-decade search for a new phone/address book, and after a while it slowly began to dawn on me that this time it was going to be difficult to find a good one.  People just aren't using such 'antique devices' anymore.  Sure, I have digital contact lists on my computer and on my phone like everyone else, but I still like putting extra info and tidbits into a real, physical book. Call me weird or a throwback.  And what if there's a hurricane or nuclear disaster and the electricity goes out and I can't access needed numbers in my digital contact lists?, I ask myself.  Somehow it never occurs to me that in that scenario my phone wouldn't be working anyway, duh.

Surprise- none of my local drugstores, office supply, gift shops etc carried them anymore.  So I looked online.  Not much luck there either- most were way too small or poorly designed... pale soulless shadows of the sumptuous examples of their glory days.. beauties that featured gilded Gustav Klimt couples, Victorian botanical prints, Japanese sumi-e cats.  Sigh.
One friend suggested I buy a 'lightly used' one on Amazon or Ebay.  USED??... like I need other people's crossed out dead people, in addition to my own?  what

While i wasn't paying attention, sometime during the past ten years the world evolved beyond beautifully produced desk-sized tabbed page telephone/address books.  Had I known, I could have bought one up while there was still time.

After much fruitless searching, I gave up.  I resigned myself to the idea that I'd just use the margins of my old dog eared one, write sideways, or even upside down... until the day I eventually joined all the Crossed Out People in my book. How ironic.

A good friend of mine called me yesterday, all excited.  She had heard of my plight, and called to tell me she actually saw a nice large old fashioned phone/address book, with beautiful woodcut illustrations and lots of large entry spaces and sections for each letter... miraculously right down the street in our local 'real' book store!  She said there was only ONE and that i had better rush down there to grab it.  (needless to say, she's my age and understands this need I have)

So down to town i drove today in the bitter cold with the wind lashing at my skirts.  There it was!  And it was perfect.  Sturdy metal spiral bound, 7 x 9" Hardcover.  Lots of room for many years to come, AND it even had modern new spaces for people's EMAIL addresses, and for THREE phone numbers for each person: Home, Office, and CELL!  It was beautiful to look at, with tempting creamy pages and rich woodcut artworks scattered throughout.  Made to last a lifetime ...at only $14.99!

joyjoy

So excited to bundle it back home with me.  It sits gleaming on my desk, empty of people yet full of promise.  I'll need to set aside an hour or two to transfer/filter the active data into it and retire my old book, but the inspiration to do that task always strikes me at some unpredictable time... it's a rainy day (or snowy day) project for when my work load is slow and I just want to curl up in a warm chair and do something slow and calming.  In the end, with the dear departed gently put behind me, with crispy new book in hand... i feel renewed and optimistic about filling in the next pages of my life.

--
Site Owner

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
4 weeks ago
94 posts

Thanks Strumelia, and to all of the rest of you offering your condolences.  I have found a great deal of peace and comfort through playing music and through all of those wonderful folks I have met through playing - both on line and in person.  I'm very grateful for all of the support I've received.  Hugs to all.

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Thinking of you Gail, and hoping you are finding comfort from friends and music, and finding peace within your heart.

==========================

Today I managed to find the time to do a sewing project on my nice new sewing machine which i bought a couple months ago.  My first new sewing machine in about 35 years!  I used to do a whole lot of sewing when my children were little.

Lately I've had the urge to sew more again, but I only had a horrible old machine that someone gave away a few years ago and it was so frustrating to use.  I finally decided life was too short and I put it by the road with its manual and 'full disclosure' note (someone took it home within an hour!)... heheh

I got a sweet new heavy duty Classic Singer machine.  The first thing I found was... my, how sewing machines have improved in 35 years!  Anyway, just loving my new machine and have done a whole bunch of projects and repairs already. 

Today I made a really big linen pillowcase for a challenging shaped triangular wedge pillow- like for reading in bed.  The linen was on sale and wound up only costing me $7.  I measured by hand and it came out pretty well.  I skipped dealing with a zipper and opted for a 3-button closure instead....mostly because it's so much fun to use the nifty 1-step buttonhole making foot.  Brian was very pleased with the new pillowcase that can be taken off and washed, and is linen like the bed sheets.  zzz

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
921 posts

Gail, there's a land that is fairer than day. . . 

Blessings to you, friend.  

Marg and all effected by the hurricane, take care.

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
437 posts

Gail played her dulcimer beautifully--not just accurately, but with the emotions she was feeling and wanted to share with us.  Well done, my friend!

I am also thinking of you folks affected by floods and fires, hurricanes/tropical storms, and tornadoes.  Hang in there and do be careful!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
3 months ago
91 posts

Gail - God bless and comfort you.

All you folks in hurricaine territory - take good care.

Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 months ago
49 posts

Gail

What a beautiful way to remember and honor your dear husband.

Blessings to you. May God continue to fill you, strengthen you, comfort you, and provide His peace during this time. You are in my prayers.

marg
@marg
3 months ago
560 posts

(honored a wonderful man. )

Yes, a very nice way - giving of your heart and soul in the music.

marg
@marg
3 months ago
560 posts

Lots of heavy rain but some times light enough. Been playing the dulcimer lots today, have a few more days of staying inside. I am doing fine but some people are having a hard time, lots of flooding expected by tomorrow, Harvey is just hanging around.

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
94 posts

I didn't get to play on the porch today.  However, I did play In the Sweet Bye and Bye on my sweet little Ginger dulcimer at my husband's Celebration of Life Service today.  He always enjoyed hearing me play and I just decided on the spur of the moment this morning that I wanted to play that today.  It was a very informal and nice service and honored a wonderful man. 

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
437 posts

Marg, keep us updated on how you are through all this.  Did you decide to stay at home?  I have a lot of family in Texas, but a bit more inland--they will still be affected by the flooding and the high winds, however.  We're supposed to arrive in San Antonio Sept.4-5 and stay for a couple days.  That is looking less and less likely all the time...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
marg
@marg
3 months ago
560 posts

Harvery is coming, lots of rain. It will be hard to play on the porch this weekend but will try. Please, all - anywhere near where Harvery is coming ashore & large amounts of rain - take care.

Monica
@monica
3 months ago
80 posts

I am so sorry for your loss Gail. I hope music can offer you the solace it did after I lost my brother. In fact I discovered the mountain dulcimer a few months after, and it definitely restored a new sense of meaning in my life. I didn't realize how much it would actually take over. Be well .

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 months ago
164 posts

Gail, please add my condolences and prayers to this long list of well-wishers.  

I thank God for music.  It helps the soul express things that can't otherwise be expressed.

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
3 months ago
157 posts

So sorry for your recent loss Gail. Take care. xx From your friends down under. H

Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 months ago
88 posts

Gail, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's good you're keeping music in your life. When my wife passed 4 years ago after a long illness, playing music (especially dulcimer) helped me through a very rough time.

Steven

Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
3 months ago
15 posts

Gail I'm so sorry about your recent loss. You must miss him so much. 

marg
@marg
3 months ago
560 posts
When part of yourself dies, it can be a struggle but (new to the dulcimer) I feel our music can breath life back into out soul.
Wishing anyone who has lost a love one, time for your soul to heal and a way forward
John Henry
@john-henry
3 months ago
341 posts

Seem to have lost my music Gail, just can't find any enthuiasim !

Be safe 

JohnH

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
94 posts

Thank you everyone.  John Henry, I'm sure you know how I am feeling after losing your Mary last year.  I got up with the beautiful tune Hewlett on my mind this morning and sat and practiced it for a while.  It was very calming.

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
338 posts

Gail, I'm sorry for loss. I'm glad you have your music as some comfort. 

John Henry
@john-henry
3 months ago
341 posts

Gail I am with you in spirit .....I won't say "I know exactly how you feel".....'cos no one does, but having lost my Mary last year after a similar period of us striving together I might just have a litle in common with you

big hug 

JohnH

Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
3 months ago
81 posts
Gail,I'm very sorry for your loss. Music has always helped me through hard times.
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
94 posts

I appreciate all of your kind responses.

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 months ago
289 posts

Gail, I'm sorry for your loss. I'll be lifting you up in prayer. 

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
921 posts

Gail, may music be a balm to your soul today and always.  

I remember your writing of Ralph's chronic pain.  I pray you are comforted in the knowledge your best friend rests in the place where there is no pain.  

Robin

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
3 months ago
455 posts

My condolences on your loss.  May you be comforted in your time of grief.

Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 months ago
49 posts

Gail

So sorry for your loss. May you be comforted with the sweet music of the dulcimer. May God bless you especially during this time.

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,866 posts

Gail, my sincere condolences to you.  I'm hoping you find comfort from good friends and beautiful music.

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
936 posts

I's so sorry to hear of your loss, Gail.  Deepest condolences from California.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
3 months ago
83 posts

I'm so sorry, Gail.  May his memory be a blessing and may you find peace in music.

marg
@marg
3 months ago
560 posts
I am very sorry for the lost of your best friend. Yes, play the dulcimer for all of Heaven to hear and your dear husband who will be forever with you. Love is always.
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,555 posts

So sorry for your loss, Gail!  

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
94 posts

I lost my husband and best friend on Wednesday, August 16th.  He had suffered greatly over the last 4 years and we had been down many avenues for help, but there seemed to be nothing that gave him much relief.  He always encouraged and enjoyed my dulcimer playing and I will think of him often as I continue to play.  He was even complimentary of my efforts on fiddle and I would always laugh and tell him there was no way that could sound good!  I'll continue my musical efforts as a comfort to me and as a memory of him.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,555 posts

When I lived in Oregon, back in the 90s I had a near perfect job.  I got paid full time as a technical writer for a company in Portland (I lived in Salem, 60 miles away).  I had Sat & Sunday off as usual, but also had every Wednesday off as well.  Work 2,off 1, work 2, off 2, and repeat!

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 months ago
936 posts

I had a friend in the SF Bay Area who thought things through. He worked construction, but only Mondays-Wednesdays. He also poured wine in a wine bar those same nights.  So he put in six shifts in three days. Then he took Thursday-Sunday off every week. He and his wife had a small house up the coast near Point Reyes National Seashore and spent those four days there.  I'm sure the first three days of the week were hectic, but by switching jobs he reduced the tedium, and then, of course, he was able to enjoy a very relaxing four-day weekend every week.

By the way, he didn't play the dulcimer, but he was a monster on the spoons.  I used to love to jam with him and do those old ragtime/string band tunes. He really kept 'em jumpin'!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
4 months ago
83 posts

Strumelia:

I think we should all petition to have three more days added to each weekend.

AMEN!

I also believe we should be entitled to a three-month paid Dulcimer Leave every time we adopt a new dulcimer.  Happy employees and happy dulcimers are good for the company and good for the economy.

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,866 posts

I think we should all petition to have three more days added to each weekend.  I'm finding I just never have enough time to give the proper attention to all the things I WANT to do and focus on.  DANG!  tongue    headbang

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
5 months ago
560 posts

interesting find, interest music

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,866 posts

This is fascinating: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dawson-city-frozen-time-composer-alex-somers/

...silent films that were buried and frozen since 1917 or so... films never seen before, lost in time.  A composer creates and records haunting new music for them, using creative techniques and an artistic sense.

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
10 months ago
560 posts

Just watched the trailer for Robert Redford film 'A Walk in the Woods'. The movie may need to wait a bit but understand what you are talking about. Glad you enjoyed it, beautiful scenery but I think I would need to drive not walk it.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 months ago
531 posts

It really is a funny movie, but as Jan said, you should read the book. My sides hurt so much from laughing as I read it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 months ago
437 posts

Helen, "A Walk in the Woods" --the movie--is just a small part of the book of the same title by Bill Bryson.  The book is even funnier than the movie--a great read!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
10 months ago
157 posts

I watched the Robert Redford film 'A Walk in the Woods' yesterday. It was so great to see the Appalachia scenery.. nice soundtrack too and lots of laughs.

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
1,866 posts

This thread has no theme and it has no end. Just drop by and express yourself with your random thoughts or various goings-on in your life. The subjects will drift from one thing to another, from one member to another. This is the thread where you never have to stay 'on topic'. :D

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 06/01/17 06:44:08PM