Colon Cancer Awareness Month

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
904 posts

Play to bring music & joy to your home, Shawn!  Nothing like homemade music!

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/06/17 09:44:13PM
shawn wright
@shawn-wright
8 months ago
18 posts

Thanks, I'm doing better than I deserve I'm sure.  Need to make more time for dulcimer .  Life is too short to not enjoy it.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
904 posts

Thanks for the bump, Shawn!  I hope you are doing well!  

--
Robin T
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 months ago
289 posts

Thanks Shawn! Already had my screening. It's really not so bad. I hope you are doing well. 

shawn wright
@shawn-wright
8 months ago
18 posts

Time to bump this.  I am a few days late on the reminder, but don't be late on your screening.  It could save your life.

shawn wright
@shawn-wright
last year
18 posts

Just a final reminder before awareness month ends.  Get screened if you are of the appropriate age or have potential issues.  It may be inconvenient, but cancer is more so.

paul buckner
@paul-buckner
last year
2 posts

I lost my two older sisters to colon cancer, one at 55 the other at 62,  I get checked regularly because I cant shake the feeling that I am next

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
last year
434 posts

Thanks for the reminder, Shawn.  I need to be making an appt. with my Dr. this spring...I'm on 3-year check ups, too!  I've been having a colonoscopy every few years for more than half my life--so far they've just been removing the polyps (which you don't feel) and then sending me on my way.  My grandmother had colon cancer, though, and I have friends who have had colon resections--I'd like to avoid that, if at all possible.  And, yes, the prep is the worst part of it, but it has improved quite a lot over the last 30-40 years! 

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
904 posts

Shawn, I remember your sharing your experiences as they happened.  I'm happy for you and your family that things went well! 

I was a fit 33-year-old and had a pre-cancerous polyp.  Fortunately, I had an alarming physical symptom which had my doctor taking action.  I'm grateful he did. 

Blessings to you, Shawn! 

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/04/16 07:21:44AM
shawn wright
@shawn-wright
last year
18 posts

Haven't been around for a bit as life has been crazy, but I didn't want March to get too far along without mentioning that this is Colon Cancer Awareness Month.  Since initiated by President Clinton in 2000, March has been designated as Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. This was done to spread awareness of the importance of screening for one of the only preventable cancers. Where, with most types of cancer, the best we can do is to find it early, colon cancer can often be prevented. While the majority of polyps don't turn cancerous, most colon cancer begins years earlier as a benign polyp. These can be removed during a colonoscopy, dramatically lowering the risk of subsequent cancer. Screening also helps find instances of early-onset cancer, where treatment is easier with a much better chance of long term survival.

If you are fifty years old or older, you should be getting routine screening for colon cancer. Despite being the second most common cause of cancer death, colon cancer is largely preventable. There are several common ways to screen for colon cancer: 1. Yearly testing for occult blood through testing of stool specimens 2. Sigmoidoscopy (looking with a short scope )every five years 3. Colonoscopy every ten years. If you have a first degree relative (parent, sibling or child) with colon cancer or adenomatous polyps before the age of 60, or two first degree relatives diagnosed at any age, screening should start at age 40 or 10 years younger than earliest family member’s diagnosis, whichever comes first. Some patients, like those with Familial Adenomatous Polyposis or Inflammatory Bowel Disease need even more aggressive screening, and should be seeing their physician regularly. If you fall into any of the above categories, please discuss further evaluation with your physician.

I turned 50 in late 2014 and had my initial colonoscopy in January of 2015. I wasn't expecting any problems, but woke up to the doctor discussing a "large mass" with my wife. The end of February found me having the right third of my colon removed and I celebrated the first day of Colon Cancer Awareness Month last year by meeting the criteria to be discharged from the hospital. I recently had my one year post-surgery follow up and was given a 3 year return date for my next colonoscopy which is as long as they will let me go now. The preparation is not fun, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Don't let embarrassment or fear put you off. If you don't do it for yourself do it for your loved ones. It saved my life. When dealing with your health, ignorance is not bliss.