What's fer dinner?

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts
I have also loved hearing about your bees, Lisa! I covet the idea of having hives, but in the inner city the only place I can think of is the roof. It's still too close in proximity to neighbors according to our codes. :/

Tonight's dinner is unstuffed cabbage! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235997/unstuffed-cabbage-roll/
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
3 months ago
353 posts

I will stick to my medical infusion monthly for RA, no thanks to bee stings.

Lisa, happy to hear of your thriving bees this season, hope the honey is flowing.

Sure sounds like a job to move hives, but love hearing of your bees. flower

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,775 posts

Fer dinner i had a biiiig bowl of Greek yogurt with dried cranberries, golden raisins, flaxseed meal, and chopped walnuts.  Mighty refreshing!

Got the other large beehive moved to my house today- box by box, many trips in the car, lots of putting on and off of veil and gloves, lots of strapping and lifting heavy boxes with angry bees swirling all around.  Did it all by myself, just like two days ago with the other hive I moved. 

I was very lucky that my friend decided to give up two large thriving hives (she kept one) and offered them to me.  But boy, talk about an exhausting job that was.  whewI still have 32 frames of bees to switch into my boxes with so I can give her her empty hive boxes back.  And a whole lot of stuff to store away, but the hard part is done and everyone's in their new home in my yard.

Looks like I might get some honey this year after all now.  sun

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
folkfan
@folkfan
3 months ago
456 posts

I'm not sure about bee stings for arthritis, but I do know that multiple wasp stings can bring on gout.   Been there and done that.  Ouch.  I took aspirin and benedryl after the attack.  The wasps got in under my pants leg and kept sting my foot and left leg.  The pain didn't go away in the foot but increased to a major gout attack for me which hurt a good deal more than the stings.  I think I'll stay away from the bee treatment for arthritis.   Thinking about it the wasps were the first time I've ever been stung by an insect like a bee or wasp.   Lisa, my hat's off to you for keeping the critters.  Hope no allergy develops due to the stings you've received in the past few days and will in the future.  Take care.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
875 posts

Steven, at least the injections don't require an office visit.  :)

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 months ago
79 posts

That's some treatment, John! I think I'll keep the arthritis. winker

Steven

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,775 posts

I don't have arthritis.  At least I know I'm not (yet) allergic to bee venom.  

Yes, a few bees did perish... they died defending their colony against the perceived attacker (me). The hive is now residing nicely at my house, alongside my other hives.

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 months ago
159 posts

I've heard that bee stings are good for fighting arthritis in the joints.  

Also that the bees that sting you die.  Maybe you lost a few this weekend?

folkfan
@folkfan
3 months ago
456 posts

I had a chicken enchilada suiza with rice tonight.  I've been doing chicken enchiladas with mole and red sauce recently which is how my daughter likes me to make them, but I wanted to treat myself so I had a creamy sauce tonight.   Now I'm going to do some quilting which is how I normally relax at night.  Unless I've got my nose stuck in a book. I'm reading some Civil War novels by Jeff Shaara.   I just finished "Gods and Generals".

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
512 posts

Hmm, I had your dinner for lunch today. Wishing you all success with the bees.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,775 posts

Turns out I got more like about 22 stings yesterday.  Some were kind of blending together.  Yikes, lots of itching and swelling today but still on aspirin and benedryl...helps a lot and gets me over the first 48 hour hump which is the worst.  I did some more bee work today but on my own bees and didn't get nary a sting.  But tomorrow, back to my friend's to move her OTHER large 4 box hive, strapped box by box in my car...holy moly, what a huge task this is being.  Once finished however I'll have some great hives set up in my yard which is great because i lost 3 out of my 5 hives during this winter.  This gets me right back where I was, very quickly.

Dinner?  I had a nice cold tuna salad sandwich.  grin

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
875 posts

Oh, FF, that sounds good!  

Strumelia, YOU ARE THE QUEEN BEE!  <3

--
Robin T
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,775 posts

We're going to watch some episodes of "The Borgias" at home tonight.  Lots of medieval intrigue, passion, treachery, and mayhem!  tmi

--
Site Owner

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts

Strumelia:I'm having a gigantic bowl of espresso-choco-chip ice cream for dinner as I type this.  grin  Figure I earned it.

YES YOU DID!  It's chili over cornbread while watching "Dr. Who" here....

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,775 posts

It's 7pm, just getting dark.  I just finished practically killing myself in moving a beehive with 32 frames/4 boxes from a friend's house to my backyard and setting it all up.  Due to the owner having put 7 frames into 8 frame boxes and not having opened any their hives since last year, the bees had connected all frames together with comb due to having 'too much space'.  This meant I had to slice them apart with a long kitchen knife to transfer the frames into my boxes.  Needless to say, a whole lot of very unhappy bees.

Got the job done though, took about 5 hours start to finish, five car trips, and I got stung about a dozen times, in various places.  I located and protected the queen however... all the bees are now safe and sound in my yard in their new home, in my own boxes, and with their beloved queen safe.  thumbsup

So, I only have to do this all over again in the next 48 hours for the second large hive she's giving me. what

We'll see how I feel tomorrow and if I can do it again right away or need to skip a day.  

Meanwhile, I feel kinda woozy and shaky- am loaded up with aspirin and Benedryl and will need to stay that way til tomorrow at least.

What does all this have to do with dinner?

Well, I'm having a gigantic bowl of espresso-choco-chip ice cream for dinner as I type this.  grin  Figure I earned it.

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
3 months ago
456 posts

Eggs,  I knew I hadn't mentioned something that also was in the crepe.  It definitely has eggs in it, too.   And, Ken, that tortilla de patata looks yummy.  Sort of looks like something I've thrown together for breakfast after serving roasted potatoes the night before.   My usual concoction is eggs, potatoes, onions (green or what ever I have on hand) and mozzarella cheese. 

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Hmmmmm.  If you fried up the hash browns and arranged them in a round shape, then poured beaten egg overall, things would stick together like a crepe.  Then add the toppings of choice and put a lid on to help things cook through....  

Ever seen a Spanish Tortilla de Patata?  Sort of fried potatoes & eggs combined -- I make these for our AirBnb guests all the time:

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
418 posts

You had me at "crisply fried hash browns"!  This would be good for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Sounds good FF;  I may have to work that up as a dish.

folkfan
@folkfan
3 months ago
456 posts

A restaurant near me makes a breakfast crepe (they describe it as a crepe) but it is a large circle of crisply fried hash browns, with a variety of fillings that they fold in.  I like mine with bacon, colby-jack cheese, and onions.  The concoction is large enough with the side of pancakes they serve it with to make 3 meals for me.  Depending, of course, on whether or not my daughter pops in for a quick bite to eat the next day.  I then share my doggy bag of tasty potatoes, etc. with her. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts

Dan Goad:

Awww Sandi, come on down.  I could drive down to Tampa, we could jam with Ken, feast 'high on the hog' and you, your hubbie and I could discuss what has or has not changed in Henrico County since I worked there in 2005.

Y'all just keep sweetenin' the pot!!!  I'd love to have that chat, anyway, Dan!!!  talk

Dan Goad
@dan-goad
3 months ago
165 posts

Awww Sandi, come on down.  I could drive down to Tampa, we could jam with Ken, feast 'high on the hog' and you, your hubbie and I could discuss what has or has not changed in Henrico County since I worked there in 2005.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts

Ken Hulme:

Sandi -- park the kids with relatives for a few days -- you and hubby NEED a break!

OH Ken, I love this life!!!  I dream of traveling and having adventures together, but some are getting ready to fly the coop...  We even take them to enjoy our anniversary with us, whatever we do (usually a meal out), coming up on twenty-four years the 17th.  inlove  We came by it honestly though, as we've never really had people to babysit/leave them with.  I'm not complain', as it just goes by too fast.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Sandi -- park the kids with relatives for a few days -- you and hubby NEED a break!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts

Ken Hulme:

Come on doowwwnnn!  Kusani and his wife stayed in our AirBnb Poolside Cabana With Gourmet Flair.  They sampled my gourmet breakfasts and we played dulcimer at poolside.

OH that would be amazing!!!!!

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
875 posts

I'd give it a try! 

--
Robin T
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Remember the line from the song Jambalaya

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and filé gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

"Filé gumbo" is gumbo thickened with ground sassafras leaves rather than okra or a roux -- a different taste that the other choices...

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/11/17 09:59:30PM
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
875 posts

In a stew,  hmmm. . . 

--
Robin T
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Try making homemade Root Beer, Robin.  Dried Sassafras ground leaves are called filé in Cajun cooking and are used as a thickening agent for stews, gumbos, etc  

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
875 posts

That curry sounds good, Sandi!  

We should crash the Kilted Cook's castle.  :) 

PS- I'd like to try sassafrass bark for something other than tea.  

--
Robin T
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Come on doowwwnnn!  Kusani and his wife stayed in our AirBnb Poolside Cabana With Gourmet Flair.  They sampled my gourmet breakfasts and we played dulcimer at poolside.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 months ago
215 posts

OH Ken, I dream of brunch at your house!!!  spaghetti

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,473 posts

Tonight I made a Zucchini and Tomato Tart with Goat Cheese; with handmade Never-Fail Tart Crust.

For Sunday's lunch with Lady Sally and her Mum, I made Bison Meatloaf, Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes & Mushroom-Bisto(tm) gravy; for dessert I made my first-ever Flan which turned out fabulous.  You can read about it, and much more here at my Fooding Around blog:

http://foodingaround-kiltedcook.blogspot.com/

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

Succotash-- from the Naragansett word 'sohqutahhash' (meaning broken corn kernals) -- is the quintessential American dish, made with only New World ingredients:  sweet corn and lima beans or other shell beans.  Other American additives include tomato and bell peppers.  Southerners often add Okra, but that is an African vegetable, not American.  

Native Americans made succotash both from fresh corn cut off the cob, as well as dried cracked corn and dried beans reconstituted by boiling in water with herbs including sassafras bark (root beer flavored corn and beans??!!).  High in nutrition including all the required amino acids.

john warren
@john-warren
9 months ago
22 posts

well being a bit of a history buff, on of my favorite things is to watch "jas. townsend and sons" on youtube they do historical re enactment supplies. and make videos of 18th century (1700's) cooking last week i took a page from them and in my firepit out back made a dutch oven full of succatash. we froze  a lot and pulled some out for dinner tonight. it is awsome stuff.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts
Macque Choux 

I was reminded of this dish the other day, so I made it for dinner Friday night. This may have been the first Creole/Cajun dish I ever prepared, decades ago. 

Macque Choux (pronounced 'mock shoe') is a sort of succotash without beans, or a Cajun Stir Fry.  It's tasty whatever you call it! Like many "folk dishes" -- compared to restaurant dishes with detailed recipes -- you can vary the ingredients and amounts to fit what you've got and/or what's in season.

Start with the Cajun Trinity:

Celery

Onion

Bell Pepper (multiple colors are nice)

add:

Kernal Corn

Garlic

Tomato, diced

Shrimp, crawfish or chicken

Cajun Seasoning

Cook the protein separately, with its own spices. 

Toss the vegetables in a large skillet, in separate additions, celery and onion first. When they soften add the others and a bit of stock, broth or water, along with the spice. Let the liquid reduce as the vegetables finish cooking. Add the protein back in the last few minutes, to re-heat, and touch up the spice level if it needs it. Serve with or over rice, or all by itself!

Macque%2BChoux.JPG

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/28/16 09:27:09AM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

Jan -- I've had that Spanish Omelet too.  Mostly in Catalonia along the Pyranees border with France.  

Sandi -- For Bulgogi -- Korean Beef -- I prefer rare Deli sliced roast beef marinated overnight in the sugar/soy/ginger/toasted sesame oil mixture.  It's a lot more authentic than ground beef. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
9 months ago
215 posts

OH YUM, Ken!!!  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the recipe!!!!!

My Hazel is currently making Korean Beef for tonight's dinner: http://www.lizzywrite.com/2010/05/korean-beef.html

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
418 posts

By the way, when I went to Spain in 1971, a "Spanish Omlette", which I ordered in several cities throughout Spain, was a tasty cheese omlette stuffed with hot crispy French Fries--no onions or peppers or tomatoes or anything like that.  Yummy!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
418 posts

Interesting, Ken--that was what I fixed for breakfast the morning I left.  I used leftover baked potato and added the leftover steak chopped up into the mix.  And, yes, it was delicious!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

Close, Dusty.  A frittata will have lots more 'stuff' between the eggs -  zucchini, sausage, bell peppers, tomato, etc. as well as more herbs and spices.  The Spanish tortilla, it is believed, came first, and the Italians "tarted up" the concept, as they say!  

I avoid ketchup too.  There's a unique Spanish "salsa" that I often use -- vinegar and paprika and some other spices.  Home-made Mexican salsa or Mango Pico de Gallo, otherwise

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/21/16 08:59:18PM
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
9 months ago
898 posts

That sounds good, Ken.   I would avoid ketchup, though, and stick with salsa.

If you replace the potatoes with zucchini you get a frittata, right?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark

updated by @dusty-turtle: 10/21/16 07:57:56PM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

Here ya go Sandi -- a real Spanish Tortilla, called a Tortilla de Patata  great for breakfast or dinner.  Sort of fried potatoes and eggs together.

• Potatoes
  • Eggs
  • Diced onion
  • shredded cheese and/or ketchup or salsa

Slice some potatoes into 1/2" to 3/4" thick rounds.  Enough potatoes to fill the bottom of your biggest oven-able skillet.  Dice up half a cup or so of red onion if you've got it; white if you don't.  Whip together some eggs -- 2 for a 9" skillet, 4-6 for a 10" or 12" skillet.  Pre-cook the potato rounds in the microwave -- say 5 minutes.

Lay the potatoes out in the skillet so the rounds just touch each other.  Fry one side of the potatoes in a splash of oil.  When they are nice and browned, turn them over and fry another couple minutes.  Sprinkle the diced onion over all, then pour the eggs on top.  Turn your oven Broiler on Hi.  Wait another minute or two, dust with a bit of black pepper and salt, then slide the skillet under the broiler, on the top rack.  Cook another 2 minutes or so until the eggs are cooked on top and starting to brown.

Cut the Tortilla into quarters and plate.  Top with a bit of shredded cheese of your choice and ketchup or salsa.

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/21/16 04:58:33PM
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
418 posts

When you can't figure out what to fix for dinner (supper), fix breakfast!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

hugssandi
@hugssandi
9 months ago
215 posts

YUM y'all!  ~still have no idea for tonight~

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

Tonight it's a white-sauced vegetarian pizza -- basil, yellow tomato slices, red bell pepper rings, mushrooms and green onion dice, with a mix of mozzarella and provolone cheeses.

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
418 posts

It's my last night here in Tucson (I've been visiting my Dad) so tonight it's steak on the grill, some kind of potatoes, a vegetable, and a tossed salad.  We haven't started cookin' yet, but we have great plans!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

hugssandi
@hugssandi
9 months ago
215 posts

OH I am enjoyin' your food stories~such a neat peek into life!!!!  ~keep 'em comin'~  beer

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
418 posts

Had a yummy chicken sandwich at a  restaurant in the foothills of the Catalina Mts. on the north side of Tucson, AZ.  What a great way to cap off an afternoon playing music and trying out many of the dulcimers in the collection of a good dulcimer friend!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

updated by @jan-potts: 10/17/16 01:52:45AM
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
1,775 posts

Yesterday i had a big salmon dinner, soup and salad- in a restaurant with a girlfriend- delicious, but very rich. 

Today I still felt full, so decided I should go light.  Just toast and coffee this morning, then my combined lunch/dinner was Greek yogurt in a bowl with some raspberries, walnuts, and dried cranberries.. sprinkled with flaxseed meal and our own honey.  Felt just right, and I ought to do it way more often.  :)

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
1,473 posts

My Lady Sally and her daughter spent two weeks in Croatia and the Czech Republic, last month, and brought me back some wonderful spices.  One of them is a blend for making Cesky Guláš -- Simple Czech Goulash -- beef and onions and a simple blend of spices.  So today for lunch with Sally's Mum, I made the goulash with Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage on the side.  For dessert I made a new version of the Avocado-Chocolate Pudding recipe which has been floating around SW Florida lately --- this one with banana and peanut butter in addition to the avocado, cocoa powder and cane syrup for sweetener.  The recipes can be found on my weekly food blog tomorrow -- Fooding Around With The Kilted Cook:

foodingaround-kiltedcook.blogspot.com

hugssandi
@hugssandi
9 months ago
215 posts

It's chilly tonight, but it's supposed to be 80's here tomorrow!  So tonight's dinner is South-of-the-Border Beef Stew...  What'cha makin'?

updated by @hugssandi: 04/23/17 10:48:33PM