Thanksgiving Menu

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 weeks ago
196 posts

John C. Knopf:

I'm not sure what we're having, but I asked Grandpa what he'll be having, and he said:

"We're havin' fried chicken, so crisp and hot, with taters and gravy-- make sure you take a lot!  There's green beans and fatback, and biscuits with butter, and cold, cold milk, straight from the udder!  And fer dessert, just get you some pie, there's sweet tater, 'n' apple, and yer favorite shoo-fly!" 

All I could say was Yummmm-Yumm!

Well.....I thought it was funny....

hugssandi
@hugssandi
2 weeks ago
268 posts

We were giving some cornish game hens, so I'm excited to try them for the first time!  Since they are small we can easily do different things~mine will be a drunken hen cooked in beer, while the others want traditional, turkey-style seasonings.  Each of the kids are making a dish~James = turnips and mashed potatoes, Preston = sweet potato casserole, Hazel = corn pudding and apple pie, Frances = brussel sprouts and scalloped potatoes from a box, and I made stuffing and cranberry sauce today.  Allen has to work, our DIL will visit her Grandmother, so it's just us after Eric gets off of work.  I will miss the oldest kids, but I am also really looking forward to it!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 weeks ago
129 posts

We will have family in. Roasted turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, tropical fruit salad, rolls, apple cake and pecan pie. Looking forward to family and I enjoy doing a lot of the cooking.  Let us all be thankful for all of the Blessings we receive. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,715 posts

This year we're having no grown kids nor guests- just me and Brian at home by ourselves.  So we're making a nice big broiled filet of salmon, with asparagus spears and Hollandaise sauce, and mashed potatoes.  Ice cream for dessert (we're not inclined to have pie), and then watch a movie.  That's a fine feast for us!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 weeks ago
196 posts

I'm not sure what we're having, but I asked Grandpa what he'll be having, and he said:

"We're havin' fried chicken, so crisp and hot, with taters and gravy-- make sure you take a lot!  There's green beans and fatback, and biscuits with butter, and cold, cold milk, straight from the udder!  And fer dessert, just get you some pie, there's sweet tater, 'n' apple, and yer favorite shoo-fly!" 

All I could say was Yummmm-Yumm!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,164 posts

Just got an organic heirloom turkey from a farm about 50 miles away in the Sierra foothills.  I'm sure it will be good, but I could have bought a student model dulcimer for the price!  I probably won't get too fancy in preparing it. One year I brined the turkey for two days in an orange juice/Jack Daniels recipe I found somewhere, turning it every several hours.  In the end it tasted like . . . well . . . like turkey.   Nothing special.  I'll probably just do a dry rub with salt and paprika and whatever else I find.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
1,647 posts

Well....  Red Cooked Turkey, Ham, Green Beans with Almonds, Roasted Brussels Sprouts fresh cut off the stalk, Apple & Yam casserole, fresh Cranberry Mold, Mashed Potatoes, and an Orange Cake based on a Great British Bake-Off winning recipe.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,715 posts

OK....so what's on your Thanksgiving menu this year?  pizza     spam

--
Site Owner

hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 years ago
268 posts

I know I'm late, but have enjoyed reading through this thread very, very much!  We had been very busy and were going into busy, so we took the turkey we were given and put it in the freezer, and then we enjoyed a very simple and quiet Thanksgiving.  It was perfection!  We watched the parade and ate a meal of crisp meat burritos, corn pudding, and a no-bake pumpkin pie.  inlove

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 years ago
237 posts

Ken, it does sound delicious. I think I might try that. Thanks!!!

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
3 years ago
89 posts

Wow Ken , I will be on the first available flight south. Happy Thanksgiving

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
1,647 posts

Patty - the recipe uses the sweeter red/pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented and laid in a graham cracker crust.  Then you make a batch of strawberry Jell-O tm and pour it over and chill in the fridge.

Irene - I "Red Cook" the turkey breast (I have a 13 lb breast this year):  Put the meat in a large stock pot.  Fill to cover by an inch with half soy sauce and half water.  Add one whole Star Anise.  Remove the meat; bring the liquid to a hard boil.  Add the meat, bring the liquid back to a hard boil.  Put a lid on, turn the fire off, and walk away for two hours.  All the heat in that liquid cooks th meat and carries that wonderful flavor all the way to the bone!  Doesn't not taste like soy sauce or licorice -- just tastes fabulous!.  Moist and juicy.

I have friends on the Big Island, and learned how to cook Imu Style when I visited there for a month, a few years back.

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/24/16 07:54:55AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 years ago
128 posts

My husband, Tomasi, will be putting our Turkey and sweet potatoes in the Ground...... Tongan/ Hawaiian style.  He'll have our grandson to help and others too.  Turkey is moist fall off the bones.  Yes, our oven will be free to do pies and such fun stuff as that.  I loved reading of all your ways of celebrating Gratitude.  We all will play music as well!!!  aloha, irene

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
627 posts

Should be fried. I probably typed something else and it was autocorrected to friend. LOL! Maybe it is a Quaker recipe.

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/24/16 12:11:12PM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 years ago
237 posts

Strawberry-Grapefruit pie? That sounds interesting. How do you keep the Grapefruit from overwhelming the strawberries. Lot of Grapefruit we get up here is pretty tart but I imagine being in FL the fresher ones would be sweeter? 

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
3 years ago
447 posts

Yum, Yum

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
3 years ago
248 posts

Ken H., the oyster dressing is from our island days....oh ya; Asparagus, cranberries, wine and a nice salad with kiwi.

Cookin' for me and eating all day, sharing with Smiley Friend too. spaghetti

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
1,647 posts

"Friend"  Oysters?   Must be a Quaker recipe!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
627 posts

Turkey

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Baked Yams

Corn

Green beans

Stuffing

Cranberry sauce (fresh) and canned jellied for those who don't like fresh

Fried Oysters

Assorted local wines

Assorted pies

updated by @ken-longfield: 11/24/16 12:11:45PM
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
3 years ago
248 posts

Sounds scrumptious Ken. I am making smoked turkey, sweet tators and oyster dressing which was a favorite of my Dad's.

I hope you all enjoy your day!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
1,715 posts

Wow Ken- that sounds incredible!  I hope you also get to enjoy relaxing a little though!  spaghetti

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
1,647 posts

Different places have different traditions for Thanksgiving  This year I'm cooking for 13 friends and family at Lady Sally's house.   Here's what I'm making.  About half the items today, the rest tomorrow:

• Red Cooked Turkey Breast
  • Sangria Simmered Ham
  • Vegetarian Pot Pie
  • Cinnamon Yams
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Sage and Mushroom Dressing
  • Indian Corn Pudding
  • Molded Fresh Cranberry Sauce
  • Strawberry-Grapefruit Pie
  • Cinnamon Stewed Apple Pie

updated by @ken-hulme: 01/13/19 05:09:18PM