Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,162 posts

What a cool title for a ukulele songbook!  And thanks for sharing "Shine On."

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
6 months ago
99 posts

I saw Leon Redbone perform shortly before he retired.  His ability to remember lyrics was weakened by age, but his guitar playing was masterful as always.  I knew this sad day was coming and at least I'm glad to have heard it here among friends and dulcimer players.  Thanks for letting us know, Dusty.

Official YouTube channel with lots of great stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi1CLy1kuT3MwwRJmh4VDjQ

A few years back I compiled a songbook for the local uke club titled "All the Songs I Really Need to Know I Learned from Leon Redbone."  I don't want to violate FOTMD policy by linking to copyrighted material.  But "Shine On, Harvest Moon" was written in 1908 so I hope it's OK for me to share this one page with chords and lyrics: dropbox link

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
6 months ago
117 posts

RIP, Leon.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
1,162 posts

One of my musical influences died today.  Leon Redbone died this morning at the age of 69. In the mid-1970s he attained a degree of commercial success, appearing often on Saturday Night Live and late night talk shows and even had a couple of commercials. (Yes, he floated through the air singing "This Bud's for you.")  His mustache, fedora, sunglasses, and deadpan singing style seemed to capture something genuine about the music from the 20s and 30s that he played in a fingerpicking style on his acoustic guitar.  He was my initial conduit to the world of acoustic blues guitarists like Blind Lemon Jefferson and the Tin Pan Alley standards from the early 20th century. At one time I could sing every word of the tunes he released on the album On the Track .  Leon was so hip he made "Polly Wolly Doodle" a cool tune during the dark days of big collars on polyester suits and disco ruling the radio.

Please honor Leon by checking out some of his tunes on YouTube or Pandora or iTunes or wherever you prefer to listen.

Here, appropriately, is Leon playing "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone."

On the Lean Redbone website, a statement was posted today that Leon must have written himself:

It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th, 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127.  He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat.  He’s interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás.  An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites.  To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, “Oh behave yourselves.  Thank you … and good evening everybody.”

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 05/30/19 01:34:08PM