Remembering D-Day

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 months ago
130 posts

What a terrific link!    What many people do not realize is that the battle of Normandy lasted for a number of weeks and the cost in terms of human life was staggering.............I read a post from the UK that I'll include here...........and please let's not forget the incredible women that worked the lines too..........incredibly heroic...........their stories are included on the link below also.................

https://d-dayrevisited.co.uk/d-day-history/d-day-landings/cost-of-battle/

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
898 posts

Thank you for starting this thread, Salt Springs.  

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/d-day-veteran-song-beats-ed-sheeran-justin-bieber/?fbclid=IwAR1i_6s4n717hmcYXvryOsktSxMKDGWBHoHPI2w0nhb3PN-PloXjGN13T9k

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 months ago
130 posts

Gordon Hardy:

Thank you Salt Springs. We owe the allied armed forces a great debt of gratitude. My Uncle Thomas Mason of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry was there at Juno Beach. He passed away last year at the grand age of ninety-nine.

Wow Gordon!..........one of the best known Canadian fighting units ever.........read the history of the battle of Kapyong during the Korean War...........they actually called down airstrikes on their position when they were over run by the North Koreans and Chinese...........in doing so along with the British and Australian units kept the South Korean Forces and UN Forces from being wiped out.............700 Canadians and 5,000 attackers.............earning them a US Presidential Unit Citation.

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
2 months ago
14 posts

Thank you Salt Springs. We owe the allied armed forces a great debt of gratitude. My Uncle Thomas Mason of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry was there at Juno Beach. He passed away last year at the grand age of ninety-nine.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 months ago
100 posts

Thanks, Salt Springs...I had an uncle who was there. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,620 posts

Thank you Salt Springs.  Few of us can even imagine what D-day was really like for those in it.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 months ago
117 posts

Thanks @salt-springs so much for the reminder. Such sacrifice our brave men and women in the Armed Forces make to preserve the freedoms we all enjoy.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 months ago
130 posts

This year will mark the last year that those who survived D-Day will likely be present for the commemoration of this tremendous turning point in history.   This event is scheduled every five years and those veterans who remain with us and are now in their 90's have lived lives that will soon fade into history.

I have attached a link and would ask that you take the time to watch it and consider their sacrifice so that the freedoms we now enjoy might be secured.  

https://www.abmc.gov/multimedia/videos/ok-lets-go