Thumb Surgery Anyone?

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 days ago
129 posts

Glad you are feeling better.............

Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
3 days ago
12 posts

Just a quick update—I did get a paraffin wax bath and am finding it really does help with wrist pain. Thanks for that suggestion. This site is one of the most useful I’ve ever joined.

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
one week ago
16 posts

Phroedrick:

Thanks to all for the response. Think it sounds like homeopathy and physical therapy is a good choice, so I’ll try that. Did talk to my orthopedic guy today and he, too, thinks the paraffin therapy to be a good choice. Again, thanks for the advice and your experiences. Now, if anyone knows where they do full body transplants...

If you find anyone doing those body transplants let me know. I've been looking for those for awhile now and having not much luck.

giggle2

Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
one week ago
12 posts

Thanks to all for the response. Think it sounds like homeopathy and physical therapy is a good choice, so I’ll try that. Did talk to my orthopedic guy today and he, too, thinks the paraffin therapy to be a good choice. Again, thanks for the advice and your experiences. Now, if anyone knows where they do full body transplants...

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
one week ago
129 posts

A neighbor had this done a number of years ago due to his hands becoming quite dysfunctional.  As I recall he once told me that the recovery was difficult and not much of a picnic.  Perhaps his surgery was more involved than most, however he did end up having a number of proceedures including one where a bone from his big toe was used in one or both his thumbs. 

I have a number of large Bansuri flutes that cause me great difficult for a similar reason.  When I looked at alternative issues a master player told me that he had similar problems and found that soaking his hands in a parafin bath helped a great deal to keep the inflammation down to a minimum.  Perhaps something like that would help.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,552 posts

I fully agree that surgery should be the last of the last possible considerations, and that you should try a variety of other healing modalities for quite some time before letting anyone cut you for any reason.  I've seen acupressure, acupuncture, salves, exercises, and other things work "wonders" on things of similar nature.

tautwire
@tautwire
one week ago
2 posts
As a general principle, I would try whatever non-irreversible techniques you can before committing to surgery.. A few months ago I developed pain st the base if my left thumb (I am also a guitar player and this frightened me). Somewhat against all my scientific training I bought a heavy copper bracelet with magnets and have worn it 24/7 since. The pain and stiffness have disappeared. Could be coincidence but my GP said he‘d seen it work for others.
I have also had amazing results for back issues arising from an old injury from a McTimoney chiropractor (not a regular chiropractor) and this would be another consideration.
This is only my experience and I am not giving advice. But for $10 I am very glad I tried the bracelet. And it looks cool! I can send you the link if you like.
Susie
Susie
@susie
one week ago
304 posts
Hi. I can't answer any of your questions, but being a guitar player myself, you might want to pose this question over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, if you don't get enough feedback here. They have a big following and are usually quite helpful with questions like this.
Phroedrick
Phroedrick
@phroedrick
2 weeks ago
12 posts

I’ve developed arthritis at the base of my thumbs on both wrists. This doesn’t affect my playing a dulcimer as much as it does my guitar playing

There is a surgical fix for this that apparently works nicely, and this is the reason for my question here. Essentially, they remove the offending, small bone and toss it. Then there are 3 ways to deal with the now empty space once occupied by the bone, each with its own set of advantages/disadvantages.

The doctors I’ve talked to tell me the thumb gets a bit shorter with any of the 3 options. However, not one of them will put a measurement or approximate percentage to what, “a bit shorter,” means. So, my question is, has anyone had this procedure, how well did it work, and what did this, “a bit shorter,” mean for you? Frankly, if it will interfere significantly with my playing, I’ll pass on the whole thing and just live with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice and experience.