Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,120 posts

As a semi-professional foodie, I'll try almost anything  -- Uni, sushi of any kind, monkey brains, menudo, dried grasshoppers  -- you name it.  Lots of those things I'd eat again readily.  But....  I just can't take raw oysters.  It's a texture thing.  Breaded & fried, sure.  Likewise oyster stew.  But not raw. 

Massive dislike of boiled okra for the same reason -- slimy texture.  Love 'em breaded/fried or split and fried with Amchur in the Indian style.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,724 posts

You guys can have all the rocky mountain oysters you want. I'll stick to just plain oysters. No cooking necessary. The smaller the better. Paired with a cold and crisp white Bordeaux.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,120 posts

I've had them sliced thin, and cut into pieces.  I suspect they may be like calamari or gator -- overcooked and you have rubber; cooked properly you hve nirvana on a plate.

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/05/19 10:57:05PM
PaulinPhoenix
PaulinPhoenix
@paulinphoenix
5 years ago
6 posts

A  big ol' plate of stewed bear meat and a bowl of ramps - at a fundraiser "bear supper" in beautiful Pence Springs, WV.

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
5 years ago
60 posts

What every mountain dulcimer player needs to try...I've had mountain oysters when I lived out west in Texas & Oklahoma. Actually, very tasty. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,724 posts

A hot dog is weird enough for me. Who even knows what it's made of?  Probably all that stuff that @Phroedrick lists as a no go.

Ate smoked duck heart once on a salad in France. It was tasty.

Ordered scrapple by accident in a greasy spoon in Pennsylvania or maybe the Jersey shore.  I won't do it again.

There are lots of Mexican joints around town that serve fresh menudo on weekends. On Saturday nights especially the line to some of these places can run for blocks.  I won't touch the stuff.  Sorry.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,120 posts

I like cow's tongue, but not Rocky Mountain Oysters are too chewy for me.  I love cabrito -- we have Cuban restaurants around here who do a sort of goat osso bucco which is outstanding.  

Skip
Skip
@skip
5 years ago
359 posts

My Dad fixed tongue [cow] which was then sliced. Had some good haggis and neeps [mashed turnips] in Scotland. Germans have magen [tripe] soup and pickled herring sandwiches. Both are good. Fifty- fifty beer and carbonated lemonade [Germany]. Tried menudo, bleh and cabrito [young goat]. Supreme pizza with anchovies. Alligator and some of the other regional Southern foods, most of which is pretty good [that I've tried]. I'm sure there are more western European dishes I've tried, but it's been 30+ years ago.

Tried Crow a few times, don't like it at all.whistle

updated by @skip: 07/24/19 10:37:50AM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
5 years ago
207 posts

Yup, the black pudding is OK and some of the Haggis I've had is pretty good.   But the Tom Thumb was pretty rough.........it was basically organ meat and suet, fermented then smoked.  Even that can be ok, depending on what meats are used and how it is smoked.  Same with the Hassel, only it is stewed instead of made into the sausage then potato, onion etc. added.   I guess it's the lungs (lights) that bugged me.

I'm with you on the tripe, the noodle and noodles. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,120 posts

I eat Haggis and Black (a.ka. Blood) Pudding every time we go to the UK.  I actually like both and would rather eat them than American Scrapple or Head Cheese, Braunschweiger or Goose Liver pate.  I'm not otherwise fond of organ meats -- particularly the Mexican soup called Menudo -- cow stomach tripe in broth.

I've had Potted Rabbit, too, which appears in those Victorian novels, and is just a nice patè -- like Deviled Ham but not spicy -- and goes great on crackers.  Very tasty.

The one thing I've eaten that I'll never touch again unless protocol and international relationships are at stake is Monkey Brains.  I was served this delicacy at a Vietnamese party; a homecoming for my housemaid's husband.  Doesn't taste like much except spicy chiles, but has a weird texture... Blah!

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/24/19 08:15:27AM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
5 years ago
207 posts

Tom Thumb, a type of Haggis...........common among the Carolina Scotts of days gone by...........I think you can only develop a taste for it after a couple of pulls off a Mason Jar full of fresh shine (check for bubbles).  The other thing some folks used to fix was called hog hassel, same beverage applies.