Caregiver and Dementia patient sing "My Way"

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
9 months ago
184 posts

That is a great video.......and it brings back so many thoughts of people that I have known over the years.  I think of a young man dying of AIDS and his family afraid to go near him and he was in so much pain and sorrow.  A young nurse and I got into his hospital bed and held him while that dear nurse whispered or sang to him, I am not sure which,  his face seemed to offer a smile. When his family saw that we were not afraid of his disease they took our places.  That dear old soul in the video reminds me of that situation and many others over  the last 40 years...the smile, the moment of recognition... so important.

I know of the difficult times you and Mark had during your Dad's struggle.....may you always remember the days of joy instead of those days of heartache. 

I sometimes recall what I read and understood Paul Tillich to be saying when he affirmed in my own words, the fear of death is overcome when we have the courage to be in spite of it.....it may sound crazy to some but I do believe that music and its timelessness can help spark that courage regardless of whether or not we realize it at the time.

Thanks for this post and the many others you have placed over the years.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
1,066 posts

For the last many months of his life, my dad had about a ten second working memory as far as "new" memories were concerned. For the last years of his life-- before he went into nursing home-- we'd take long car rides and I'd play cd's I knew he liked. Surprisingly, he learned quite a bit of a new-to-him song from one of the cd's. I think Dad enjoyed music until the end of his life. The power of music is great! 

If you have the time to listen to this caregiver and his patient sing "My Way" you'll, likely, find it worth your time. 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
1,066 posts

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)