What did you do on 'Black Friday' (day after thanksgiving)

Gordo in OZ
Gordo in OZ
@gordo-in-oz
2 weeks ago
1 posts

Practised some dulcimer. Played guitar for a while. Did a little light work in the late spring produce garden which is coming to life after warm days and lots of rain. It is looking good for summer feasts. I am a beginner on this instrument and have been playing a little over three weeks. Still learning the cowboy chords but making progress at last. Have two songs figured out and think I am going to be a fingerpicker. By the way, I'm in Australia and wish we also had thanksgiving holiday as I like all the stuff that our American cousins feast on on their holiday. I have all the junk I need, so shopping was not on the menu.

updated by @gordo-in-oz: 11/25/18 10:03:17AM
tssfulk
@tssfulk
2 weeks ago
10 posts

Since Thursday was not a holiday around here, I had to go to work as usual. I left early though to try to deposit a check my sister sent from America. The teller look at it with a puzzled expression and begged a colleague for help (no checks around here for nearly one generation—Sweden's heading toward 100% internet banking). :)

Cooked dinner, then watched an episode of the German series The Same Sky with my wife. 

updated by @tssfulk: 11/24/18 04:57:06AM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
3 weeks ago
142 posts

Put up my autumn decorations, pulled out Christmas, set my tablescape, washed dishes, washed clothes, shopped for my Daddy, and wished my husband hadn't gone hunting. Glad my son is in town.

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 weeks ago
288 posts
Today we will be spending time in the woods, cutting wood and clearing, and working on tubing lines, getting ready for maple syrup season next spring. Would much rather be out with nature than fighting crowds in stores.
Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
3 weeks ago
113 posts

After a very long day clowning around in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I am planning to sleep for awhile on Black Friday.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,826 posts

I'll be holding down the Fort (Myers) while Lady Sally and her daughter drive over to the East coast to see Elton John's farewell concert.  Late afternoon I'm going to watch (and maybe play along) with a couple guitar friends who have a 3-6pm gig playing at a riverside restaurant.

Dan
Dan
@dan
3 weeks ago
114 posts

...went to work.....

DAN

www.dulcimore.com

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
last year
1,826 posts

Black Friday I stayed at Lay Sally's while she and her daughter did some shopping.  Worked on the soundboard carving for my second Oberflacht Lyre, also worked on a "hurricane uke" I'm donating to a friend's class for kids, and practiced some dulcimer Christmas music, just to bring it back to the top of my internal memory stack!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,894 posts

On Black Friday we four (my younger daughter, her new husband, and Brian & me) had oatmeal for breakfast, then went window shopping in our little village shops (I bought two pillar candles).  Then we bought a peck of NY MacIntosh apples at our local orchard and went home to make 4 quarts of apple sauce. After eating Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner, we had ice cream and watched a movie (Get Out).  A fun day!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
last year
653 posts

On Black Friday we went to the science museum at USC to see the space shuttle Endeavor.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,894 posts

Thought I'd revive this nice old thread from 2010 so folks could both enjoy the memories and add to it. grphug

--
Site Owner

Marsha Elliott
Marsha Elliott
@marsha-elliott
8 years ago
13 posts
This is the day after Black Friday.... but I am still going to answer.......Most of my Thanksgiving visitors had dispersed to other activities today. The Alabama relatives had all gone home to attend the Auburn/Ala Game. The younger crowd all slept late after their all night music jam last night. Hubby Mike was down in his workshop (working on some Christmas surprise, I guess).It was blessedly quiet. I spent the day playing my Dulcimer. I'm working on "Be Thou My Vision".
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,010 posts
Flint,So did Mouse and Fidget miss you two? Grin.gif

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
1,826 posts
Messed around on the boatRead.Ate a turkey sandwich on the dock.Went to the Festival of Trees at the Art Center a couple blocks away.Played dulcimer.Pretty much like any other day except for the tree exhibit...
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
8 years ago
85 posts
I traveled by car and plane from rural South Carolina to rural Pennsylvania, twelve hours altogether. At the latter location, which is home, I was mugged by giant white doggies who hadn't seen me for a week.

This is what a dog-mugging looks like:

Family Photoshoot
folkfan
@folkfan
8 years ago
455 posts
Spent some time moving songs from old cassette tapes to iTunes. I'm finally getting to the last of my cassettes, in that I can finally see the bottom of the box.Did some planning for a trip to England and Scotland this spring. I'm going AFTER the wedding though, as I do want to see Westminster Abbey again only more completely.Since we had a big meal yesterday at my daughter's husband's brother's house, I fixed very lean hamburgers for dinner. I told my husband that we didn't need additional starch as in french fries as the hamburger buns were enough. So we had a side order of broccoli instead, Grin.gif
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
8 years ago
1,065 posts
Since my parents are in town, they played with my daughter the entire day. A bit of soccer in the morning on the front lawn, then crafts for hours (including several new puppets that will be fun to play with), then more hours of story-telling.With our daughter entertained, my wife and I relaxed the whole day. I used the time to play a lot of dulcimer and a little autoharp (sorry, no jam, Sue, since I can't play a duet with myself).Then we put some leftover turkey into a mexican lasagna, one of my wife's culinary inventions that uses corn tortillas instead of lasagna and salsa instead of tomato sauce and then layers in beans, cheese, corn, various vegetables, and today at least, turkey. It was a delicious dinner which we enjoyed with a bottle of zinfandel from the Sierra foothills.I'm the last one awake now enjoying the fact that we hosted another Thanksgiving without a hitch. My sister (Hawaii) and my brother (NYC) couldn't make it, but they and theirs are all healthy and happy. The wine might be adding to my glow, but right now, life is good.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Sue Simms
Sue Simms
@sue-simms
8 years ago
50 posts
No shopping for me ! I avoid Black Friday. I will do my shopping another Day. Great Thanksgiving Dinner with my Family though and Quality time spent with them. Also had a little Auto Harp and DulcimerJam.
Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
8 years ago
0 posts
We went to Cincinnati yesterday to have dinner with Bob's brother, wife, and 2 daughters. We spent the night at Bob's parents house (they are in FL where they have a second home).I got up this morning to go to a fabric store that I like around 8:00 am. We then went back over to Bob's brother's house to have lunch with them and then went to a stable to see our nieces' horses that they ride. The horses were beautiful! It was a very nice day!We then drove back home and here we are now ready to go nighters....AWESOME SCORE on the skirts, Strumelia!!! My favorite, FAVORITE thing to do in the whole world is to go to thrift stores!!!! It's even more fun because of our travels....every new town, the first thing I do is check out the local thrift store! I just love it!! If I don't make it myself, then I usually get it at the thrift store! LOLI hope Pearl is OK....I hate to hear about that!Robin, I like turnips.....just raw...Grin.gif
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
8 years ago
283 posts
This was the first time in my career I didn't have to work the day after Thanksgiving. I did some laundry, went to the grocery store, and spent some time on the 'net. No Black Friday for me. That ain't my style.Paul
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
1,894 posts

I like to hear what everyone did today! Rod, that was smart to have your loved ones avoid driving in bad weather.
My one daughter and her partner left this morning at 6:30 am so she could get to work on time at 9am. Brian and I got up to make them scrambled eggs, toast, and coffee to send them on their way. Now it's just Brian, me, and Brian's son JP, and he'll be leaving tomorrow.
We had gone to Thanksgiving at a friends' house, so we had no leftovers to enjoy.
We three decided to make a semi-anti-consumerism statement by going to our local GoodWill store and checking through all the second hand clothes.
I just came along for the ride but it wound up with them buying nothing and me nabbing some great skirts for going contra dancing in. (I go to 2 or 3 dances a month)  Apparently no one else had wanted these skirts- twirly flare-shaped with various weird fabric patterns from the 70's- perfect for swirling and spinning during the dances. Anyway- there were quite a few of these 'unwanted' wacky skirts so I got seven fun dance skirts that had been marked $7.50 each, but with today's additional sale, they wound up costing only $5.50 per skirt. MAJOR SCORE!!- seven dance skirts for $25 !  Most excellent- I'm like set for years now.
Also got a fistful of nice vintage butter knives and soup spoons for only 25 cents each. I always buy used silverware- it goes with all my garage sale dishes.

Then we came home, I took care of my sick cat Pearl, and then I made a big bowl of apple salad with chopped apples, walnuts, dates, golden raisins, and yogurt. We're just having that for dinner. I'm pretty sleepy after getting up so early, so bedtime will be early tonight. 

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/26/17 01:15:35PM
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
8 years ago
55 posts
We just had a great visit with some friends from Florida. He's an over the road truck driver and they happened to be in the neighborhood. Been about 15 years since we've seen them and it was great to see them again.
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
8 years ago
129 posts

we had our Thanksgiving Dinner/Lunch today.. because yesterday was rain then ice then some snow.. so we held off a day.. yum yum was good...just finished the dishes actually.. resting now my play a tune or 2 then to church tonight... then sleep zzz

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,010 posts
In no particular order, here are few things from here today:-Laundry. Although it's cold outside, it's sunny so some things are on the drying rack outside.-Mark went for a run and I took a walk.-We had a lunch of turnips (that just came out of the ground) cooked with peppers (that'd come from the garden and put in the freezer) over basmati rice. Cilantro and parsley that are growing in the front windowsill got cut on top of the rice and vegetables. (A pinch of kosher salt and a bit of Smart Balance-- wish it could be butter-- got added, too.)

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
phosphorein
@phosphorein
8 years ago
4 posts
We enjoyed the Durer exhibition at the Clark Art Institute. It was a nice, brisk day for a drive in the Berkshires.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Ok, everyone 'fess up.... 

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/26/17 01:16:03PM