(monthly, FL) Tallahassee Dulcimer Players, Tallahassee - new group forms

Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
5 years ago
30 posts

Tallahassee and other Florida Big Bend players, tonight is our monthly meeting!  Please join us for another fun gathering.  Lots of great tunes to learn and play together!

Linda

www.cabinhillmusic.com

Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
5 years ago
30 posts

Hi Dusty Turtle,

Aaron is off traveling again, but he will join us whenever he's in town. Yes, we're lucky he remembers his origins!

Dusty Turtle said:

Linda, you are so lucky to have Aaron O'Rourke around. When I started my dulcimer group I was hoping that I would lure great players out and learn from them. Instead, I ended up being the most experienced player, though some of those who were newbies 2 years ago have come along quite quickly. Please tell Aaron I say hello. I did a few workshops with him when he was out here on the west coast and I ended up buying the lacewood Modern Mountain Dulcimer that he used on his first couple of CDs before he got his David Beede.

Linda W. Collins said:

Hi Dusty Turtle,
Thanks for sharing the format of your group meetings. We have a similar idea in mind, joining together to play tunes after the first hour. I agree that it is important for beginners to hear more experienced players. At our first meeting, Aaron O'Rourke shared a few tunes with us and wowed us all, and a group of my students played my duet arrangement of Morning Has Broken.
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 years ago
241 posts

You bet Dusty it is fun seeing folks catching the dulci-fever. I only see it through cyberspace and try to see my progress on my own, so difficult sometimes. I really appreciate your oppertunity to love the dulcimer, I know I would benefit from a group experience, but circumstanses are such and I will keep struming on.....Grin.gif

Dusty Turtle said:

Lexie, one of the rewarding aspects of our group has been watching people progress. There were some spots in a couple of songs that had people scratching their heads at first, but now they cruise over those spots. And the first time we did a four-part ensemble piece, people really got jazzed when they realized that even though their one part was pretty simple, the sum total of our playing was really wonderful. I've been playing music (though not the dulcimer) my whole life, but it's nice to see when people catch the bug for the first time and realize that they are capable of making real music.

Lexie R Oakley said:

Hi Dusty; this group of yours sounds like so much fun and such a benefit to those beginners. I bet it is amazing how everyone grows into the group and into their instrument and the songs you play all together. It is great you are sharing your format with other groups. Keep on struming.Smile.gif

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 years ago
1,291 posts

Lexie, one of the rewarding aspects of our group has been watching people progress. There were some spots in a couple of songs that had people scratching their heads at first, but now they cruise over those spots. And the first time we did a four-part ensemble piece, people really got jazzed when they realized that even though their one part was pretty simple, the sum total of our playing was really wonderful. I've been playing music (though not the dulcimer) my whole life, but it's nice to see when people catch the bug for the first time and realize that they are capable of making real music.

Lexie R Oakley said:

Hi Dusty; this group of yours sounds like so much fun and such a benefit to those beginners. I bet it is amazing how everyone grows into the group and into their instrument and the songs you play all together. It is great you are sharing your format with other groups. Keep on struming.Smile.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 years ago
1,291 posts

Linda, you are so lucky to have Aaron O'Rourke around. When I started my dulcimer group I was hoping that I would lure great players out and learn from them. Instead, I ended up being the most experienced player, though some of those who were newbies 2 years ago have come along quite quickly. Please tell Aaron I say hello. I did a few workshops with him when he was out here on the west coast and I ended up buying the lacewood Modern Mountain Dulcimer that he used on his first couple of CDs before he got his David Beede.

Linda W. Collins said:

Hi Dusty Turtle,
Thanks for sharing the format of your group meetings. We have a similar idea in mind, joining together to play tunes after the first hour. I agree that it is important for beginners to hear more experienced players. At our first meeting, Aaron O'Rourke shared a few tunes with us and wowed us all, and a group of my students played my duet arrangement of Morning Has Broken.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
5 years ago
241 posts

Dusty Turtle said:

Linda, I understand the desire to split the group, but let me share how we now organize the group I founded about 2-1/2 years ago.

We usually begin with a beginners lesson for the first hour. I think it is important to be really welcoming to beginners, and offering a free lesson helps bring them aboard.

The second period of the meeting is for group play of our slowly growing repertoire. May of the songs were arranged for beginners, and we play each one a lot, pausing to answer questions or discuss how to play the hard parts.

And the third period of our meeting is a song circle where people take turns either calling out a tune for everyone to play or just performing a song solo. This last section was at the request of some of the beginners who wanted to hear what the more experienced players were working on. I have found that this last section is really important for everyone. Beginners are shown some of the more creative stuff they might aspire to, and more experienced players have a chance to showcase recent arrangements. I find that it is really good practice for performing, and knowing that I'll have my turn in the circle encourages me to finalize a new arrangement or work up something new to share.

We try to encourage even brand new players to stay for the whole meeting so that they can see how quickly they will be able to play our group songs and join in collaborations. We also have a few multi-part arrangements that include pretty simple parts that beginners can play and more complicated parts that require some dexterity and familiarity with the fretboard.

Maybe you guys can also work out ways to join the beginners and more experienced players together for at least part of your gatherings. Whatever you do, good luck!

Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
5 years ago
30 posts
Hi Dusty Turtle,Thanks for sharing the format of your group meetings. We have a similar idea in mind, joining together to play tunes after the first hour. I agree that it is important for beginners to hear more experienced players. At our first meeting, Aaron O'Rourke shared a few tunes with us and wowed us all, and a group of my students played my duet arrangement of Morning Has Broken.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 years ago
1,291 posts

Linda, I understand the desire to split the group, but let me share how we now organize the group I founded about 2-1/2 years ago.

We usually begin with a beginners lesson for the first hour. I think it is important to be really welcoming to beginners, and offering a free lesson helps bring them aboard.

The second period of the meeting is for group play of our slowly growing repertoire. Many of the songs were arranged for beginners, and we play each one a lot, pausing to answer questions or discuss how to play the hard parts.

And the third period of our meeting is a song circle where people take turns either calling out a tune for everyone to play or just performing a song solo. This last section was at the request of some of the beginners who wanted to hear what the more experienced players were working on. I have found that this last section is really important for everyone. Beginners are shown some of the more creative stuff they might aspire to, and more experienced players have a chance to showcase recent arrangements. I find that it is really good practice for performing, and knowing that I'll have my turn in the circle encourages me to finalize a new arrangement or work up something new to share.

We try to encourage even brand new players to stay for the whole meeting so that they can see how quickly they will be able to play our group songs and join in collaborations. We also have a few multi-part arrangements that include pretty simple parts that beginners can play and more complicated parts that require some dexterity and familiarity with the fretboard.

Maybe you guys can also work out ways to join the beginners and more experienced players together for at least part of your gatherings. Whatever you do, good luck!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
5 years ago
30 posts

Thanks, Dusty Turtle. We were thrilled at the turnout! We have quite a few beginners, so we will be splitting the group, for part of the night, into 2 sections. Wonderful to get such a response! So many folks want to play the dulcimer, and there are quite a few "dulcimers in the closet." We hope to help such folks attain their dream of playing.

Thanks, Steven. We did have a wonderful time.

Linda

www.cabinhillmusic.com

Steven Deckard
Steven Deckard
@steven-deckard
5 years ago
7 posts
aaahh, a wonderful time we had.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 years ago
1,291 posts

Congratulations on such the successful launch of a new dulcimer group!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jill Tyler-Endicott
Jill Tyler-Endicott
@jill-tyler-endicott
5 years ago
3 posts

Our initial meeting brought 31 lovely people to our newly formed group!!

Looking forward to our February meeting, come one come all!

Jill Tyler-Endicott
Jill Tyler-Endicott
@jill-tyler-endicott
5 years ago
3 posts

We now have a dulcimer group meeting in Tallahassee, FL the third Thursday of every month starting 1/15/15. We will meet at the Unity Eastside Church, 8551 Buck Lake Road, Tallahassee, Fl from 6:00 - 8:00 pm. All dulcimer players are welcome, this is a free group.

The purposes of this group are to play together, to share tunes, to support each other in our du lcimer playing, and to bring the sweet sound of the dulcimer to more people in the Tallahassee area.

For more information, go to www.cabinhillmusic.com/dulcimerplayers

Our Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TallahasseeDulcimerPlayers/

or you can email myself: jtendi3yahoo.com or Linda Collins at Linda@cabinhillmusic.com

We are open to all level of players whether you're experienced, a beginner or even just wanted to see if you'd enjoy it. There are loaner dulcimers available upon request.

Please come join us.

Jill

updated by @jill-tyler-endicott: 06/08/16 09:22:50PM