Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

I have both an old fashioned paper calendar hanging on my office wall and calendars on my computer desktop and my ipad.  The digital calandars are kinda cool because many of them will allow you to set popup reminders ahead of important events.  Lots of stuff I'd forget if it weren't for that.    coool

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

K,  Thanks Stumelia.  I thought I could fill my calendar with the cool stuff that comes up.  Guess I will have to keep my little green notebook and I mean old fashion iwth pages of paper in it and no stylus but just a good old fasion pencil. winky

TW

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

2)  Your profile page "EVENTS TAB" and "CALENDAR TAB" are designed to show events that YOU created, and their dates.

Thus, since Leo is the person who created that Harvest event, if you go to HIS profile page and click on his Events Tab and his Calendar Tab, you WILL see the Harvest event listed there in both places:  http://fotmd.com/leo-kretzner/event

In general, our profile pages will show things that we ourselves have created .  That's also why most members here will not have anything showing in their Groups TAB on their profile page- because they have not created any groups/don't 'own' any groups.  To see the groups you are a member of , you hover over your top navbar NAME link, where the drop down menu shows things like your Private messages inbox, Logout, groups you are following (a member of), and your account settings.

If you ever create an event such as a festival or gathering, it will then appear in your profile page Events Tab and on your own events' Calendar.

I know it's all different from what you are used to, but once you get familiar with the 'concepts' of how this site works, such things begin to make more sense.  At least, that's what happened to me!  Stuff that used to make me go "Huh??" now make make me go "Oh yeah, of course!"

I do apologise to everyone for the significant learning curve for our new home here- there was only so much that I was able to recreate to mimic or function in the very same way as folks are used to from our old site.   I'm pretty certain that over time, most of these things will become less puzzling.

P.S. Tumbleweed, if you are attending that event, then YES i would definitely click as well to "Follow" it- that way you'll get notified if others post in or update that event.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/03/15 04:17:03PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

I'm sorry for the confusion concerning how the "attending/calendar' features function.

Tumbleweed, this is one of those things that I need to explain carefully, so please bear with me...

1)  When you clicked the "attending" button, you DID successfully subscribe to be shown as someone who will be attending that event. You are shown in the event's list of attendees, here:

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/03/15 04:15:49PM
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

I tried yesterday and again just now.  It isn't working.  I want to attend the 21st Annual Harvest Festival in Costa Mesa, CA in October.  I clicked the " Attending " but and the screen blinks but that is all it does.  I checked my calendar but nothing showing.  frowner     Do I have to be a follower first?

updated by @tumbleweed: 07/03/15 01:24:32PM
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

Tumbleweed, are you planning to attend this event? If you are, did you hit the Attend Button for the event? It should put the event on your calander. 

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 07/02/15 06:47:14AM
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

I have a question.  Is there a way I can put an existing event on my calendar?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Thanks Ken, good job!

Jean, your profile page is:  http://fotmd.com/jean-ann-moon

Going there, I see you tried to add your event but you added it to your account settings- not the place to do that.

Your personal photo avatar should be showing on your profile page, not your event picture.  And your 'bio box' is for describing a little about yourself when vistitors come to your profile page.

Change that picture in your account settings to something more personal for your own membership photo.  Change your biop box to say something about youruself, not about your event.

Then in your same Profile Page there, do as Ken suggested- look for the TAB that says 'Events', and that's where you will add your event info and event picture, etc.

To get to your profile page easily in the future click right ON your name in the top bar links....rather than clicking in any of the other drop down menu options.  Your name will take you to your profile page.  In fact if you click on your name link anywhere here, in this thread too, it will take you to  your profile page as well.  To actually change your settings, you would choose the "account settings" from the drop down menu at top, UNDER your name.

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,083 posts

Jean, I'll give it a try at explaining it to you.

1. Click on you name in the upper right hand corner of this page. Do not click on any of the drop down options.

2. When that page opens there should be a bar under your name with several different options. One of them is Events. I think it is the fourth one from the left.

3.  Click on that tab and it will take you to a page called Events that will be blank.

4. On the right hand side there will be a plus (+) sign. Click on that to create your event to be added. I hope this helps you.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 06/17/15 04:40:29PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

If it's a small event with a single instructor or a club event, see the top links navbar and go to the Single Instructor Forum to post it.

If it's a larger gathering, festival, camp, with multiple performers and instructors, then you can list it in the regular site calendar.

You must add an event from your profile page-  go there, and click on your Events TAB and look for the plus sign.  Hope this helps.   blush

(Site calendar events will be pending until approved by admin)

--
Site Owner