If this is a private site how come my posts show up on google?

marg
@marg
last year
552 posts

(You'll recognize site moderators by the yellow star on their avatar picture.)

I'm glad you said that, I'm not sure I knew the stars were for the moderators. 

thanks, so much I don't know or HA - do know than forget...

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Jan Potts:
Maria, I'm a moderator and even I thought at one time that this was a closed, or private, site.  I really didn't think about it much, but I had this "vague notion" that this was the case.  Then I found out otherwise, and it made me wonder what all I'd said on here over the years! We do keep a close eye out for any private information (phone numbers, etc.) that someone posts in a discussion.  But if someone wants to relate how playing the dulcimer helped them recover from a hernia operation, then that's out there for the world to see! I occasionally pull up something I posted in the pre-world wide web days.  I'm not tech savvy to even comprehend that, but my husband has been involved with computers for 50 years.  At one time, our home was a bulletin board for computer geeks and educators...we even had a separate land line installed that handled the computer stuff. My point is, with a few exceptions, most of what you discuss on sites like these is searchable. I'm glad you're here, too!

thanks I appreciate your response. I guess what happens when we find kindred spirits and a "chat" sort of emerges then you kind of forget it's not a private message or such. Again not that anything I posted is bad it's just sometimes if I may remember it's "searchable" as you say then maybe it's better left unsaid lol....oh well...by nature of being a songwriter I've had to be more open to the fact that my life is more of an open book then someone who is not in this of profession etc. So as the expression goes we have to take the "good" with the "bad".....and in this case the "bad" just means paying attention to what I write... case in point. One of the members here asked for the words to my newest song: HUMAN.  For just a moment I thought "well I can't write that then anyone will see it" but then I also realized that anyone has the words if they just listen to my song which I did put "out" into the universe. So I figured there was no harm in posting it. Especially that it's "copyrighted" anyway....I guess sometimes the internet has also made us a little paranoid...

thanks for writing and i'm happy to be here......and that's for the world to read lol

Maria

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 years ago
434 posts

Maria, I'm a moderator and even I thought at one time that this was a closed, or private, site.  I really didn't think about it much, but I had this "vague notion" that this was the case.  Then I found out otherwise, and it made me wonder what all I'd said on here over the years!

We do keep a close eye out for any private information (phone numbers, etc.) that someone posts in a discussion.  But if someone wants to relate how playing the dulcimer helped them recover from a hernia operation, then that's out there for the world to see!

I occasionally pull up something I posted in the pre-world wide web days.  I'm not tech savvy to even comprehend that, but my husband has been involved with computers for 50 years.  At one time, our home was a bulletin board for computer geeks and educators...we even had a separate land line installed that handled the computer stuff.

My point is, with a few exceptions, most of what you discuss on sites like these is searchable.

I'm glad you're here, too!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Robin Thompson:
Hey, Maria, prices paid for dulcimers get posted here lots-- varying costs of instruments are of interest to many for a variety of reasons.  Just mentioning it so you'll know it's not unusual to see such info here.  :)  i sure hope I didn't come across as too abrupt in my answer!  If I did, I offer apology.   Best wishes, Robin

Ok no problem...you didn't...I just didn't understand but now I do!! 

It's all cool

thank

Maria

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
904 posts

Hey, Maria, prices paid for dulcimers get posted here lots-- varying costs of instruments are of interest to many for a variety of reasons.  Just mentioning it so you'll know it's not unusual to see such info here.  :) 

i sure hope I didn't come across as too abrupt in my answer!  If I did, I offer apology.  

Best wishes,

Robin

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Strumelia:
Maria, you have not offended me at all, and I hope I haven't offended you either.   I'm sorry you got the impression that FOTMD is a private site- I didn't mean to give that impression.  But you're right that Fotmd is indeed a moderated site- we do have a great team of moderators here which helps keep it a place where we can all feel at ease and a place where folks can get music help quickly.  You'll recognize site moderators by the yellow star on their avatar picture.  Welcome here?- of COURSE you are welcome! -I'm delighted that you are staying!   You should know, as Dusty mentioned, that Private messages here on fotmd are always completely private between the two people messaging- no one can ever see the content of those, not even site admins.  :)

okay good..then I'll just make sure I'm not posting anything that I wouldn't want "out there' not that there is much lol...it's just good to know..

thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning more about the dulcimer

Maria

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,830 posts

Maria, you have not offended me at all, and I hope I haven't offended you either.  smiler

I'm sorry you got the impression that FOTMD is a private site- I didn't mean to give that impression.  But you're right that Fotmd is indeed a moderated site- we do have a great team of moderators here which helps keep it a place where we can all feel at ease and a place where folks can get music help quickly.  You'll recognize site moderators by the yellow star on their avatar picture. 

Welcome here?- of COURSE you are welcome! -I'm delighted that you are staying!   You should know, as Dusty mentioned, that Private messages here on fotmd are always completely private between the two people messaging- no one can ever see the content of those, not even site admins.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Strumelia:
Site moderators DustyTurtle and Robin Thompson have outlined everything well. Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer is not a private site or closed community. The fact that our site is public is what enables people to find us if they are looking for dulcimer information and help. Maria, if you are upset about your posts showing on the internet, I can remove your membership and your posts and you can simply lurk on the site without posting - and I mean this in only a helpful way, as an option if you want.

gee I guess I offended you but that was not my intent. I suppose I can just delete my posts. My point was that I didn't realize it and I even put what I paid for the dulcimer I just bought. I have since removed it myself (I can see from the above responses that others were under a similar impression)  I wrongly thought it was a private site because you have put many different pieces of information for "new users" to read etc. Making it seem that it was a  strictly moderated site. I wrongly associated that with private or closed.  I guess the old adage is true NEVER ASSUME......

I hope I am still welcome here as the people who have responded to my posts and videos all seem to be very kind and encouraging as I continue my study of the dulcimer.

Thank you

Maria

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,830 posts

Site moderators DustyTurtle and Robin Thompson have outlined everything well.

Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer is not a private site or closed community. The fact that our site is public is what enables people to find us if they are looking for dulcimer information and help.

Maria, if you are upset about your posts showing on the internet, I can remove your membership and your posts and you can simply lurk on the site without posting - and I mean this in only a helpful way, as an option if you want.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 years ago
920 posts

Maria, as Robin has explained,  this site was historically open to the public.  Only if you wanted to post something did you have to join.  Among other benefits, an open site makes it easy for people to find us through online search engines.

For a few months before and after our move from Ning to Jamroom, the site was made private to facilitate the necessary changes.  But we are now open again.

I'm not sure about all the onerous rules you mention; most are just ensuring we obey copyright laws and basic codes of netiquette.  And it is precisely because we are open to the public that we have to obey those laws.  It is also why we Moderators so often advise people not to post personal information such as email addresses and phone numbers.  The private messaging system is private and that's where any sensitive or personal information should be shared.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,522 posts

Thanx Robin -- I hadn't realized the status had changed back to public (except for those restricted Groups).

Maria -- There are several Internet dulcimer groups which share members and information without restraint.  Of course the Internet itself is a wide open exchange of information except for specifically closed or membership groups.  Quite often a question asked here at FOTMD will be answered by someone who normally hangs out at Everything Dulcimer, and vice versa. 

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
904 posts

Maria,

Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer is not a private site.  By necessity, the entire site was made private during and for awhile after its migration to a different platform, its current platform.   Recently, the site was returned to public site status again, just as it has been for most of its existence.  (There are only two "private" groups here on FOTMD, the group for prayer requests/support/hugs and the group for site moderators.) 

Robin

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Dan:
Maria, I'm not sure but I believe the reason you see the post is because you are a member. If you weren't you would get a prompt to log in when clicking on the link?    

My son pulled it up and he's not a member and that's for sure!
Maria

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

Ken Hulme:
 Your posts show up on Google because they contain the search word or phrase you used.  However, since this is 'member' site not an 'open to the public' site, only members should be able to access the entire post. What chain of search did you use to find your post and get into it? Ask a friend who is not a member here to follow the chain or use the search phrase that led you to see your post, and see if they can open the entire post.... 

Well maybe that's the way it's supposed to work but my son who is definitely NOT a member pulled everything up on his iPhone!!!
is there a way we can let the admins know this?

thanks

Maria

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,522 posts

Your posts show up on Google because they contain the search word or phrase you used.  However, since this is 'member' site not an 'open to the public' site, only members should be able to access the entire post.

What chain of search did you use to find your post and get into it? Ask a friend who is not a member here to follow the chain or use the search phrase that led you to see your post, and see if they can open the entire post.... 

Dan
@dan
2 years ago
78 posts

Maria, I'm not sure but I believe the reason you see the post is because you are a member. If you weren't you would get a prompt to log in when clicking on the link?

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
2 years ago
108 posts

I'm not too happy with the fact that I was researching my new old instrument and my post here in full detail comes up for any one to read. It seems this group has lots of rules and regulations concerning posts and such but why isn't our privacy part of that?

I'm very dismayed

Thanks 
Maria

updated by @sleepingangel: 02/17/16 11:25:07AM