Software updates of Jan 2 - report bugs here! :)

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,764 posts

Yep, you can even bookmark the 'Newest Posts' TAB if you like, and then click right to the newest member post of any discussion rather than clicking on the original discussion title, as shown here in various screenshots:

http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/14688/clicking-straight-to-the-newest-post-on-forums/p=2

But I'll repeat again- I am in the process of changing the sorting order and the link paths of Forum Discussions and their notifications- the process is taking some time and may take a couple more weeks- it's more complex coding than I had anticipated, and I've had to enlist some help.  In the end it'll function more smoothly and logically, as the Group discussions do currently.  Thanks everyone for your patience.  bighug

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kusani
@kusani
5 months ago
156 posts

Hoosier, I first click on 'Newest Posts' and then when I clicked on the title of this thread, your post, below, was at the top of the page and was the first unread post. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty. 

HoosierInFL
@hoosierinfl
5 months ago
6 posts
I visit many forums every day and none do it this way. They all are set to go to the first unread post when you click on the thread title. Oh well, I guess that's why there are choices in the world. I'll read Everything Dulcimer instead.
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,764 posts

Hoosier, you may not have noticed but Group discussions here have always had most recent posts at the top, then going to oldest posts at bottom or in previous pages.  My goal is to make the Forum discussions structured identically to the Group discussions.  It's confusing to have the two be structured in opposing order.

Years ago virtually all online forums were ordered with newest posts at bottom of a page.  This made sense when everyone was on desktop computers.  But on phones and tablets it's deadly to land on a page and have to scroll down past 20 or 30 posts to see the newest ones.  That's why sites like blogs, FB, Wordpress, live feeds, etc all show the latest entries at the top of the page. I'm afraid we have to get more up to date.  Believe me, it took a bit for me to get used to the 'new order' as well...but now I like it.  Please keep in mind as I've explained here, I'm still in the middle of making the changes ...and soon the original post will show at the very top of every page as well, so folks can keep track of the topic when replying.  Thanks for your patience.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,764 posts

I've been mentioning as below that the Forum post sequences are in the process of change.  Please see my previous posts in this thread as I've explained here:

If that's what you're referring to, then I have newly set it so that the newest posts show at the top of the page, and the oldest at the bottom.  I'll be pulling the 'reply' textbox up to the top of the page as well, and the 1st/original post too, so that we don't lose sight of the topic, and to minimize the amount of scrolling down that people must do.  However, I'll have to accomplish this step by step for our Forum setup, and it may take a week or two to get each of those items set properly as I'd like.  But as step 1, you should be seeing the newer forum posts at top of page for now.  Thanks!

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/20/17 11:28:50PM
HoosierInFL
@hoosierinfl
5 months ago
6 posts

I've been a member of countless message boards over the years and this is the only one I've seen that does it this way. It's just weird to me to see replies to posts before I see the post the person is replying to. Is there no option to go to the first unread post?

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,764 posts

Hi Hoosier,

Assuming there had been various posts since your last visit, wouldn't you have to scroll either up or down anyway to get back to 'where you left off' after your last visit?

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/20/17 10:56:21PM
HoosierInFL
@hoosierinfl
5 months ago
6 posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but the newest posts showing at the very top is annoying to me. I have to scroll back through the thread to find where I left off during my previous visit to the thread. How can I get around this?

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
6 months ago
109 posts

Everything looks great Lisa! thanks for a wonderful website! Great people and wonderful music and info!

Maria

Kusani
@kusani
6 months ago
156 posts

worthy

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Kusani:

I 'rebooted' and all is well.  Thank you.... I do understand many times it can be 'operator error'....  :)  The 'reply' at top would be great, thanks again. 

Ah, well next time you need a boot, let me know!   lolol  gangnam1

--
Site Owner

Kusani
@kusani
6 months ago
156 posts

I 'rebooted' and all is well.  Thank you.... I do understand many times it can be 'operator error'....  :)  The 'reply' at top would be great, thanks again. 

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Kusani, I assume yuo are referring to Forum discussions, such as this one we are posting in right now?

If that's what you're referring to, then I have newly set it so that the newest posts show at the top of the page, and the oldest at the bottom.  What I want to do is also pull the 'reply' textbox up to the top of the page as well, and the 1st/original post too, so that we don't lose sight of the topic, and to minimize the amount of scrolling down that people must do.  However, I'll have to accomplish this step by step for our Forum setup, and it may take a week or so to get each of those items set properly as I'd like.  But as step 1, you should be seeing the newer forum posts at top of page for now.  Thanks!

--
Site Owner

Kusani
@kusani
6 months ago
156 posts

Strumelia, currently oldest posts on a topic are showing first when clicking on a topic.  Is this what you intend or is it a 'tweeking' you are working on, or is it something we can change individually?    I end up at the bottom of the first (oldest page)  rather than the most recent post on top.  Is it me?

updated by @kusani: 01/03/17 06:09:50PM
Bob
@bob
6 months ago
101 posts

Thanks so very much for the work and dedication you have invested in this wonderful website. It is a wonderful place for learning and sharing and meeting people form all over the world who share a common interest in the beautiful mountain dulcimer.

Have a wonderful 2017 jive

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Here's an update for Tuesday Jan 3:

I applied a major platform software update to our site yesterday, which went very smoothly.  We'll now be better prepared and more stable for some time to come!

As expected after a major update, there are a handful of glitches that I'll need to work through a couple at a time to fix up again with code.

Please report here with any glitch or bug you might be seeing in the site functions, to make sure I'm aware of it.

I'm working on a couple of them already today, but because I can only spend part of my days working on FOTMD issues (I still have a regular job), and because I have limited coding skills anyway, it'll probably take a week or two to get through the list of tweaks I'll need to make.

@Robin Clark- I'm already aware of the issue where clicking on a link to a group discussion in the main Activity Feed takes people to a 'page not found'.  I'll be working on that!  nod

Thanks everyone for your patience, and do report any glitches here that you may run across!  bug

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/03/17 01:07:48PM
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Thank you for the kind words my friends.  grphug

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
891 posts

Everything seems to be working well so far!  Thanks for all you do, Strumelia!  I think you need a proper title, though.  "Site Owner" does not do justice to what you mean to the dulcimer community. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
IRENE
@irene
6 months ago
47 posts

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for having this site.  I just love it!!  loved your writings herein and I came back here to read more of what you wrote of your playing style. I'll read it tomorrow.  I chop sawed a bunch of oak flooring got ruined for kindling for our fireplace....filled up two big garbage bins and stung up a plucked psaltery and made a stand for it and oh bummers, didn't sweep and mop the floor.  It can wait till tomorrow....I wish that could be as fast as your "updates" to this site.  aloha, irene

Kusani
@kusani
6 months ago
156 posts

thumbsup

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

All done!  yes

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Ok I'm going to start the updaters now-  don't be surprised to notice a few temporary glitches folks.   ;)

--
Site Owner

dianapalmer
@dianapalmer
6 months ago
20 posts

Thank you

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Greetings FOTMD members!-  I'm going to try to do a needed FOTMD platform update either tomorrow morning (monday Jan 2) or tuesday morning.  This will keep our site software up to date and working well for the new year. party2   Just want you to know that if you experience any strangeness here on the site, know that I'll likely already know about it and will be getting it sorted out.

One thing that will happen is the "Latest Activity" entries will say only "Array" - that particular issue is expected for a short time (maybe only a few minutes) and should get cleared up as the update proceeds. There might be a few minutes when the site is down altogether, or working oddly- just know I'll be here monitoring the update and working to make things go smoothly.

Thanks!

Strumelia

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/31/17 02:30:14PM