Am I Activity Feed 'Spamming' ?

Elvensong
Elvensong
@elvensong
5 months ago
27 posts

Whew! Thanks so much @strumelia, @dusty-turtle and @ariane!

I happened to glance at the feed and it was filled with my posts and I was horrified. I thought it only went to the person starting the thread. But now I understand the rationale behind it and love it.

If someone is going to take the time and energy to post an audio/video and put themselves out there, I would encourage those that really enjoy it to post a thanks to encourage even more sharing.

I already have half a dozen songs on my "must learn" list just from listening to others' posts in the last couple of weeks! These are songs I had never heard before and would have missed if not for their sharing them with us.

Thanks again for your encouragement and for a truly outstanding resource to the dulcimer community!

grphug

Dean

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,848 posts

Elevensong, I cannot turn off a specific user's activities from appearing in the Activity feed without also making them invisible everywhere on the site... and we definitely don't want you to disappear!

Dusty covered it all-  members depend on the feed to see what's happening lately, and most of us check there for things that are new or interesting.  The Activity Feed on FOTMD's main page is THE best way to not miss out on fun or inspiring interactions happening all over the site: in forums, groups, videos, photos, events, etc... without having to browse through all those areas individually every day. dancetomato

Please don't feel odd about your posts and comments appearing there- keep in mind that the feed goes by fairly quickly and what shows up prominently when it is first posted becomes 'old news' and sinks out of site hours later or a day later.
We love your posts!

BTW-  One thing i do prevent from showing on the main page activity feed, is comments back and forth on people's Profile page 'comment walls'.  Because those comments tends to be a bit more personal and of less interest to others.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 04/16/18 09:14:59AM
Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
5 months ago
15 posts

@elvensong - I like your "spamming" very very much  grin

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,024 posts

@elvensong, I find it funny that you use the term "spamming" in this content.  I don't think there is a way to stop your activity from being listed in the "Latest Activity" list.  The whole purpose of the activity stream is for people to be able to see the active areas of the site so we can join in active conversations with one another.  I know it might seem as though you are hogging that space if you post four or five times in a row and it looks like you're taking over the activity stream, but that's kind of how it's supposed to work.  When I check out the site, that's the first thing I look at, for I want to know what new posts have been offered and what discussions are active.

Strumelia may jump in in the morning with different information.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 04/16/18 02:42:43AM
Elvensong
Elvensong
@elvensong
5 months ago
27 posts

Is there a way to turn off my posts from spamming the Activity Feed? I've checked settings and can't find any mention of it. Is that just how it works?