Only seeing the original post in a discussion, not the replies..?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,789 posts

Thanks for the great explanation, Dusty!

JP, I'm just curious- did you not look over the other threads in this Site Questions forum to see if the solution to your problem had already been asked about and answered?  There are actually three other threads concerning not seeing other replies to a discussion, only the original post.... and the reason being you must join a Group in order to read the Group's full discussions.  I hope you now understand why you were not seeing the whole discussion.

Dusty mentions the main site links along the TOP navigation bar on every page of FOTMD (Home, Forums, Photos, Videos, etc). When one is very confused about how the site is laid out, it really does help to click those links to gain a better understanding of the areas of main function and content. Not everything is immediately accessible from the Main Page... or else it would have to be five miles long. bigsmile 

I'm glad you were able to post a new thread here in the Site Questions forum in order to ask your new question, though!  I'm going to edit this thread's title to be more descriptive of the thread subject now- in order to help others in the future looking for answers to similar questions as yours.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 07/10/18 09:21:58PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
988 posts

@jp. there are two main areas for discussion at FOTMD. One are the Forums, which are open to everyone.  But there are also special interest Groups. 

If you look at the tool bar on the very top of your screen, you will see "Forums" as the second item from the left and "Groups" as the sixth.  I encourage you to peruse the Groups and join those you are interested in.  There is a group dedicated to traditional noter/drone players, a group for players from Indiana, a group for builders, a group on dulcimer history, a group for fingerpickers, and so forth. 

If you are not a member of a group, you will be able to see the most recent or sometimes the very first post in a discussion, but you will not see all the other posts.  However, if you simply click the big green button that says "Join Group to Access Discussions" which can be found to the right of the group's name, then you will see all the activity.

Beginner Players   Strumelia   fotmd com 1.png

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
jp
@jp
2 weeks ago
28 posts

i am so confused... *sigh*

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
1,691 posts

That post by Lois is indeed in a Group discussion, not a general public discussion.  The Group is called Beginner Players, and the thread is about I, IV and V Chords.   As Dusty sez -- to see everything you have to join the Group.

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/09/18 10:59:14PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
988 posts

@jp, you might be clicking into a discussion within a group. You have to join the group to see all the content.  In the example you provided, that is the Beginner's Group.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 07/09/18 10:56:30PM
jp
@jp
2 weeks ago
28 posts

often as i go to a post on the home page and click on it even if it says 11 comments all i get is the original question there is nothing else there.

this post is an example.

Lois Sprengnether Keel

@lois-sprengnether-keel • 20 minutes ago • comments: 11
Posted a new Comment on I, IV, V chords:
"Dusty Turtle: Stephen Seifert has posted a good DAd chord sheet on his website. You can find it here and download it as a pdf if you wish. Guess..."