Glitch with Graphics

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 days ago
1,894 posts

Well thanks you all, but I'm just glad I didn't have to create the actual code fix myself (yikes)- it's already been taken care of by the great platform developers who help create updates!  Now we can sit back and wait til it gets released.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 days ago
1,826 posts

Thanx Lisa.  Glad you got that sorted.  Looking forward to the official fix.

Bob
Bob
@bob
5 days ago
180 posts

Thanks Strumelia. It's a lot of work getting things working I am sure. I (we all) appreciate your hard work and time in making this forum run so smoothly :-)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 days ago
1,894 posts

Ok, here's an update on this glitch...

It's due to a bit of code that needed updating in our site platform software.  The developers were already aware of the issue and in fact have already created a fix for it-  however the fix is in a large update that contains various other bug fixes as well... and that update is still in the Beta stage, being tested.  They usually test for a few weeks before releasing a new update, so we may have to wait another 1-3 weeks I'm estimating, before the new update (with the fix) is released. 

So the good news is that there's nothing any of us need to do, and the fix is coming along soon.  But we do need to wait a little while so the updates are well tested before we can apply them.

I'll be sure to post again here once I am able to get and apply the update and test if it's working for us.

Thanks for all your help!  thumbsup

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/06/18 10:48:01AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 days ago
111 posts

oh I see now, FRANCE. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 days ago
111 posts

OH CUTE CUTE....I saw it just fine.  It doesn't look like a psaltery...but some kind of guitar/or long dulcimer.   He's got a pick in his hand.   not a very happy face, so he must be singing or playing a sad song.  lots of color in the photo.  Where was this taken and what country?   aloha, irene

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 days ago
1,894 posts

OK this is much clearer now- Thanks KenH for clarifying.

Seems the problem is only that when downloading the attached image, the period gets removed before "jpg", making the file unrecognized by both Win and Mac. Happens when downloading images from chat as well.  Android phone apparently has no prob though.

When I get home later this afternoon or evening, I'll address this issue.  Thanks everyone, I think I have enough info for the moment.  Will update here once I know something or need more.  hi5

=============

pdf
test Document.pdf  •  6KB

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/05/18 05:09:50PM
Bob
Bob
@bob
6 days ago
180 posts

Mozilla Firefox browser and Windows 8: I can open the thumbnail pic. But to view the image via the link, I must select "save" and then for the file name I need to manually add the dot just before the jpg on the file name (It doesn't do that now and won't recognize the file format without that). Previously, it automatically saved as .jpg

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 days ago
1,826 posts

Lisa -- your French psaltery link did the same thing for me.  If I click on the thumbnail (something I've never done before until just now!) I get an enlarged image pop-up.  I'm using Microsoft Edge as a browser.

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/05/18 07:03:57AM
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
6 days ago
84 posts

I had the same experience as Kevin on my Mac, OS Mohave, Safari.

Clicking on the image, I got a large version. Clicking on the text, the file went to Downloads and needed the same tweaks to open.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 days ago
1,065 posts

Actually, I've noticed this problem, too.  When someone posts an attachment such as a jpg, I can click on the thumbnail and a small version of the picture will open up.  But if I click to download the item, my computer does not identify what kind of file it is.  The problem is that the file extension (.pdf or .jpg for example) disappears and becomes part of the file name without the period.  Then the computer cannot identify what kind of file it is. So in the case of the picture you attached, the file downloads as french-psalteryjpg instead of french-psaltery.jpg.

You can get around this problem if you specify what program to use to open the file, but that should be automatic.  I have experienced this problem on two different PCs, one using Windows 7 and one Windows 10 in both Chrome and Firefox.  However, my Android phone has no trouble and opens up the documents fine.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 12/05/18 01:24:25AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,894 posts

Ok, so that part of it works for you (on Mac), and for me (on Windows), but not for KenH.

I welcome other member's telling me what happens in the two instances (just enlarge, vs. download)...please include your operating system and what browser you are using, and whether you are on a desktop, tablet, laptop, or phone when experiencing this. Knowing these detials helps to narrow down the problem.

Now I have to go to sleep-  howdy

--
Site Owner

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
one week ago
9 posts

Strumelia:

Kevin, what happens on the pic I attached in my post below, when you don't try to download it, but merely click on the picture itself which would normally just enlarge the pic right in a popup window, so you can see it larger but not download it?  ...what happens for you on your mac when you do that?

Just like in chat, it opens a larger version of it.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,894 posts

Kevin, what happens on the pic I attached in my post below, when you don't try to download it, but merely click on the picture itself which would normally just enlarge the pic right in a popup window, so you can see it larger but not download it?  ...what happens for you on your mac when you do that?

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/04/18 11:49:12PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,894 posts

Kevin, when you click right on the picture I attached a couple posts below, does it correctly open an enlarged image to view for you?  (for me it does)

I myself am seeing the problem where if you download an attached image (either from the chat post or from a forum post), the .jpg extension loses its "." period and thus the file won't open. If you rename it by adding back the "." before the jpg extension, it then opens fine.

@richard-streib actually mentioned this issue to me a couple weeks ago, but I forgot to look into it at the time.

I'll get this fixed.  But right now I'll have to get to bed, it's almost midnight.  zzz  Thanks everyone!  

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/04/18 11:43:14PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,894 posts

Ah, that's very helpful to know it happens on Mac too Kevin!

I am suspecting this has something to do with something that was updated in the site codes over the past month or two.  

KevinR also notes:

"with the chat function if i click to open it, it opens. if i click download in the chat function my computer changes the extension to .dms and it won't open until i mess with it and change it to .jpg

It also changes the extension when trying to view a jpg from a post"

--
Site Owner

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
one week ago
9 posts

I too have been having trouble, but it has been longer than the last couple of days. Weeks? Maybe a couple months? Jpg files will download, but the extension gets changed to .dms. I am on a Mac. If I rename the downloaded file by dropping the .dms and putting a "." before jpg then the file will open. It never used to do that, but for some reason it changed. I don't know if there is something on my computer I can change, or it is a problem with the site somehow?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,894 posts

Ken, thanks, someone else also mentioned this kind of issue.  I'm going to use this thread to do a bit a testing and ask some questions.  I'll need to get a few members' experiences about when/how they happens for them, so I'll have details that will enable me to narrow down the problem.

What browser is this happening on for you?  On a desktop? (not phone or tablet?)

I'm assuming you are talking about only the ATTACHED jpgs in a post, not embedded noes.

Do it happen for the following attached jpg?

What happens when you click the picture, and what happens when you click the text link?

french-psaltery.jpg
french-psaltery.jpg  •  70KB

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,826 posts

Hi Lisa;

Just noticed the past couple days...  If there are photos attached to a post and I try to Open them, they will not open.  The security check will run and then they don't open.   If I try to Save them, something along the line is dropping off or ignoring the period before "jpg" and the saved file is a garbage text file of code.  

Is it me?  There was an update to Windows last week...