Obama's March To the White House

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
3 weeks ago
6 posts

And my previous posting about the tuning kind of sounds like i'm telling you something you don't already know.  Didn't mean it that way. 

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
3 weeks ago
6 posts

Actually, Randy, never mind about string gauges.  I think I know what to do.

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
3 weeks ago
6 posts

Randy Adams: Jim Obama is an A tune. 4 stringer tuned AEAB or thereabouts. Fwiw I play w/noter across the strings and of course can be played w/one finger as well.

Randy, I've been playing around with it some and it works with the highest string tuned to B, but it works better with it tuned to C# (you did say B or thereabouts), which after listening to the first few seconds of your video where you pluck the individual strings before starting the actual song, is what you are tuned to in the video. I also found a video of the composer Greg Ganote talking about the tuning he used on his fiddle, and it too is AEAC#.  I'm taking what you're playing, doing some improv and trying to play off some of the licks Canote plays on his fiddle.  It's really a terrific tune and once again, I thank you for putting it out there on the dulcimer.  One question, though, with it tuned so low, the strings I'd use for DAdd are really loose and floppy. [.24, .14, .12]    What gauges do you use in this A tuning?

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
4 weeks ago
6 posts

Randy,

Thanks so much for the tuning info.  I had tried AEaa, but something was not quite right and now I see that you're using four equidistant.  I've never tried that before though my nut is set up to allow it.  I really enjoyed your terrific version and am determined to add it to my repertoire, which now that I know the tuning, I think I can learn by watching where you place your noter in the video. [As I'm sure you know, YouTube setting can be set to allow a song to be played at 3/4 or half speed without a change in pitch.]  So, thanks for the inspiration for me to stretch out into something new. 

Jim

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
4 weeks ago
134 posts
Jim
Obama is an A tune. 4 stringer tuned AEAB or thereabouts.
Fwiw I play w/noter across the strings and of course can be played w/one finger as well.
Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
4 weeks ago
6 posts

I've been trying to figure out Randy's tuning for Obama's March, but can't seem to get it.  Anyone know what it is?  Also, does anyone know if this has been tabbed out?  Thanks

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
4 weeks ago
6 posts

Randy Adams:

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,873 posts

Marcia, try asking your string question here:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/instruments-discuss-specific-features-luthiers-instrument-problems-questions

-that way, others looking for similar help might benefit from your thread for a good time to come.  nod

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Marcia Mikesell
Marcia Mikesell
@marcia-mikesell
last year
1 posts

Very nice....it's a footstomper! Lol! 

Can someone recommend strings that would give a sweeter and more mellow sound? I have a walnut Kentucky dulcimer and I'm using 24-14-12 strings and I'm getting to much of a twngy sound! Thanks!

Sean Ruprecht-Belt
Sean Ruprecht-Belt
@sean-belt
last year
40 posts

Fine playing on a terrific tune. Now I'm going to haave to sit down and learn it.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
last year
1,008 posts

Whatever is the tune, I like it on the fretless dulcimer (and your play of it on fretless mt banjo, too), Randy.  And that lady who posted it on banjohangout played a sweet version. 

PS- Since there are three of you in your first selfie, I think it counts as your first three selfies.  :)

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!

updated by @robin-thompson: 05/08/17 11:47:07AM
marg
@marg
last year
563 posts

randy,

I love the sound of your dulcimer and I am so impressed with your noter playing, it is so different than most noter players - very nice

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
last year
134 posts

first self picture

self.jpg
self.jpg  •  109KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,873 posts

Can't believe you don't hear Lazy John.

Randy... you shaved your head??  surprised

--
Site Owner

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
last year
134 posts
I don't hear the Lazy John Lisa but noticed the BCtR tag right off.
But you know what? All is forgiven with me.
I just like the title!
It is fun to play
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,873 posts

Sounds like Lazy John with a Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine tag...

maybe they shoulda called it Lazy Bonaparte... lol

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 05/07/17 07:28:16PM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
last year
73 posts

I like your version, Randy!

Steven

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
last year
134 posts

I like the way this lady plays it. This tune is the tune of the week at Banjo Hangout and I liked it!

http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/media-player/audio_player2.asp?musicid=40142&archived=

updated by @randy-adams: 05/06/17 09:24:11PM
Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
last year
134 posts

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
last year
134 posts

updated by @randy-adams: 05/06/17 09:08:54PM