Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 weeks ago
233 posts

That's a must-see for us, Glenda!  Our hardy little group visited Warren, who seemed happy to meet us.

I've been stopping in his place since I was a teenager-- every time I get anywhere near Berea, I'll pop in. Papaleno's is a good place to eat.  We tried it out as well last March.  And I got Ken hooked on Ale-8-One!  (Ginger ale made in Winchester, KY).

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
3 weeks ago
22 posts

After you eat at Boon Tavern down about a block around the corner Is Warren Mays Dulcimer shop, but just before you get there is a wonderful Italian Restraint, next on my list after Boon Tavern. I have friends who have his traditional dulcimers. They have played them for more than twenty five years  the older they get the better they sound . Always a treat to go into his shop.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 weeks ago
649 posts

It's a good thing I just finished supper. You folks are making me hungry. I was looking forward to meal at the Boone Tavern. Coming back from California Betty and I went through Kentucky and I was able to stop at a convenience store and pick up a couple of 12 packs of Ale8. Should last me for a while.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,795 posts

I sure do!  That was Good Eats!  The Spoonbread was good too; not quite a pudding not quite cornbread.  Came back to Florida and replicated both recipes too!  

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 weeks ago
233 posts

Remember Boone Tavern's Kentucky Hot Brown!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,795 posts

Council of the Southern Mountains, as a non-profit,  folded in 1989; I assume the bookstore went then as well..

We look forward to having you join us.

Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
3 weeks ago
4 posts

I was just about to post a question re: how to find the post from last spring about the Berea gathering, as I wasn't sure of the dates. Hope to be there next May!

I've been to Berea and had dinner at the Daniel Boone Tavern. Some years ago (1970s) there was a wonderful bookstore there called Council of the Southern Mountains Bookstore. Always looked forward to stopping in there when in the area, but last time there I didn't see it.

Ann

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,795 posts

Looking forward to meeting you!

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
4 weeks ago
22 posts

My birthday and I plan on being there ! 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,795 posts

You're in Janis!    Over the next couple months we'll be finalizing details of what we will offer.  Suffice it to say that the Gathering will feature a lot of time for the attendees to play together and share traditional playing ideas, information and more.

Janis Lewman
Janis Lewman
@janis-lewman
4 weeks ago
7 posts

Interested! How do I stay in the loop to get info on this one?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
1,006 posts

I'm hoping to get to go-- got my fingers crossed already! 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 months ago
1,795 posts

You've read about our adventures in the posts here called Hindman in Exile  and Making Lemonade In the Southern Highlands.   We had so much fun we're going to do it again next year, and invite y'all (as they say) to join us for the newest festival, and only one dedicated to traditional dulcimers and playing styles. 

This will be a relaxing but educational gathering, not the usual mass of classes for building repertoire and collecting tab.  For those interested but new to the idea of traditional dulcimers there will be a Topic (we don't have "classes" we have Topics) where you can learn the basics of fingerdancing, noter & drone, and quill whipping.  Plus lots of one-on-one time with traditional players, dulcimer builders and history buffs.

We set up a Facebook page:  Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering, and Ken Longfield has posted in the Event section here at FOTMD where more information will be available as the Event develops.

Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering

May 16 – 19, 2019

Berea College, KY

Welcoming fans of dulcimer history and traditional dulcimers from all regions.

• Emphasis on traditional, not modern, dulcimers, dulcimer history, and playing styles

• No chords or capos – noter & drone, fingerdancing or quill whipping only

• No DAd tuning – DAA, Ddd, DAC, DAG or equivalent tunings as necessary

• All skill levels

• No attendance fee

• Attendees get a free noter and quill

Meals and Lodging

Attendees stay at a residence hall on the Berea College campus in downtown Berea, KY. Bring your own bed linen, pillow and toiletries including a towel. COST: $25 per night.

Campus Dining Services All You Can Eat 3-meal/day plan is: $20-23 per day.

Activities

• Daily Topic – lecture or playing lesson on some aspect of traditional dulcimers or dulcimer history.

• Daily Tour -- historically important dulcimer-related locations, museum collections, etc. Tours are by carpool.

• Builders/Historic displays/Traditional Vendors – no charge for space

• Playing individually or in small groups, whenever and wherever

• Open Mic Night

Schedule

Laid back, relaxed:

• Morning topic, afternoon tour

• Morning tour, afternoon topic

• Playing in small groups when/wherever

Topics and Tours TBA...